Th-THUMP

Postby Fluffdrgn on Fri May 04, 2007 2:49 am

Oh my.

discuss =^_^=
carpe filum - Seize the thread
"no worries =^_^="
Fluffdrgn

Postby The_Fox on Fri May 04, 2007 3:23 am

It is ironic that after this, I find more to discuss about Calvin's thoughts. First off, he was quite aware of ASCII's impaired state over the preceding week(s). Second, he does mention what I myself had thought, no science is without merit. They just need willing victims.

And with that, Cal takes a few steps closer to mad scientist himself.

"Good morning...sinners."

- Jarylan, still trying to reverse engineer myself a time machine. While humming Animotion's "Obsession". Uh-oh...
"What the?! Where did you get THAT?!"
"Creative aquisition."
The_Fox
Regular Poster

Postby Alfador on Fri May 04, 2007 6:12 am

*COLOSSAL GRIN*
Three-tailed fox, in the house--Fox Den, that is!
Rick/Jake Shipper #00017
Alfador
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kesh on Fri May 04, 2007 8:35 am

Gotta say, this is a great strip. From Cal's expressions, to his thought process, to... well, the "subtle" hint as to what's going on in the other room. :)
Kesh
Regular Poster

Postby Patchwork cat on Fri May 04, 2007 11:34 am

Laughing out loud! :3
oh my...
Patchwork cat
Regular Poster

Postby Nyamaza on Fri May 04, 2007 12:52 pm

You know, given that Cal IS working with something he's rather interested in, and seems to be getting rather excited about it, the 'thump thump th-thump th-thump' COULD just be his increasing heartbeat. Plus, I've never heard the sort of... activities being suggested to cause a th-thump sound.

But yes, it's rather intriguing to see Cal in this light. Especially as the science is likely to continue, but in a way that's less likely to piss off the spy guild. Mad science isn't all bad, after all.

It makes me wonder though how long Calvin has known about ASCII and what he's doing. If he knew more then a week ago, it sheds a rather different look on the mouse.
Rick/Jake Shipper #00082
Nyamaza/Volair Shipper #00001

Furry Code : FFL3cfmrs A C- D H+++ M+ P+++ R+ T++++ W Z Sm++ RLCT/ET a cln++++ d? e+$ f+ h++ iwf++ j+ p- sm+
Nyamaza
Regular Poster

Postby Kels on Fri May 04, 2007 5:08 pm

I just went through the archives for what, the fifth time or something, and I think this is the most actual characterization we've seen of Cal since UHII started. It's interesting, he's dived so deeply into what was already an obsession back when he was in college, and he's grown pretty tolerant of his wife's ways. I still remember that geeky kid who wasn't ready to be "borrowed", heh.
Kels
Regular Poster

Postby GreatLimmick on Fri May 04, 2007 5:41 pm

Is there any science in this comic that isn't Mad Science?
GreatLimmick
Regular Poster

Postby Kels on Fri May 04, 2007 5:46 pm

No science worth speaking of, at least.
Kels
Regular Poster

Postby DetailBear on Fri May 04, 2007 5:51 pm

Nyamaza wrote:Plus, I've never heard the sort of... activities being suggested to cause a th-thump sound.

There's a scene in A Fish Called Wanda between Kevin Klein *swoon* and Jamie Lee Curtis where th-thump is the prevalent sound. It's also counted as a blooper because one can see daylight between the actors where none should be possible.
HUGS = Huge, Unrestrained, Genial Squeezings.

A man’s accomplishments in life are the cumulative effect of his attention to detail. - John Foster Dulles
DetailBear
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Fri May 04, 2007 6:53 pm

Headboards DO bang up against walls sometimes, you know.

Especially if you're gripping them fiercely whilst bouncing to and fro roughly.

But perhaps I've said too much.
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kels on Fri May 04, 2007 7:05 pm

No no, carry on. This is quite fascinating... :twisted:
Kels
Regular Poster

Postby Ambiguous Fox on Fri May 04, 2007 8:30 pm

It would be interesting to note the ethics of mad science; do they conform to convenience or do they stand firm? Is there a line that cannot be crossed under any circumstances?

Of course, some would consider ethical considerations a stumbling block for the progress of science.
So its come to this, eh?
Ambiguous Fox

Postby Nyamaza on Fri May 04, 2007 8:50 pm

allan_ecker wrote:Headboards DO bang up against walls sometimes, you know.

Especially if you're gripping them fiercely whilst bouncing to and fro roughly.

But perhaps I've said too much.

Well, while this is true, they usually give much more of a THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP as their weight hits the wall. Unless someone's head is subsequently hitting the headboard to create a seperate th-, you'd expect a single hard impact each time instead of a pair in rapid succession, follow by another pair.
Rick/Jake Shipper #00082
Nyamaza/Volair Shipper #00001

Furry Code : FFL3cfmrs A C- D H+++ M+ P+++ R+ T++++ W Z Sm++ RLCT/ET a cln++++ d? e+$ f+ h++ iwf++ j+ p- sm+
Nyamaza
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Fri May 04, 2007 9:10 pm

Yes, well, you'd get a single thump if the weight being pressed up against the headboard were fairly evenly distributed and both corners hit the wall at the same time. However, if a lot of torque were involved in the rhythem of the motion, in theory one corner of the headboard could hit to be immediately folowed by the other.

Especially if at least one party is gripping said headboard with both hands.
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby Micro_Fur on Fri May 04, 2007 10:19 pm

Or if say, one happens to put enough forward momentum into it and happens to cause a re-bound effect. In which case you better hope you have either good walls or a good insurance policy. Not that ANY of us have the gall to refer to personal experience in these matters. . .

Micro_fur - Ergos sic tempus; Irrational thought
If the quest for answers only leads to more questions, did you ask the right question to begin with?
Micro_Fur
Regular Poster

Postby Fluffdrgn on Sat May 05, 2007 12:03 am

it is also possible that the thrusting motions are faster than the bed can move... which would make the headboard rebound into the wall just after it'd already hit it... I think.
carpe filum - Seize the thread
"no worries =^_^="
Fluffdrgn

Postby GreatLimmick on Sat May 05, 2007 8:10 am

Ambiguous Fox wrote:It would be interesting to note the ethics of mad science; do they conform to convenience or do they stand firm? Is there a line that cannot be crossed under any circumstances?

Of course, some would consider ethical considerations a stumbling block for the progress of science.

Just a guess, but I'm thinking that a distinct lack of ethics, or at least a general disregard for them, is one of the defining features of "mad" science, as opposed to "regular" science. That doesn't mean, for example, that a particular mad scientist won't follow a personal code of ethics, nor that one mad scientist's personal code of ethics must necessarily be the same as another's. For example, it appears that ASCII has no compunctions against performing psychological experiments on unwitting subjects. Meanwhile, Cal perfers that his subjects be willing and knowing participants, but has no real problems performing them on his own offspring. Both are unethical in the general sense, to differing degrees and for different reasons.
GreatLimmick
Regular Poster

Postby Kels on Sat May 05, 2007 10:30 am

Mind you, ASCII had no compunctions while his emotions were turned down. From what Cal was saying/thinking/dictating, the plan had changed since his contact with Rick to prefer something a little more consenting. But of course, not necessarily harmless.

-- Kels
Kels
Regular Poster

Postby GreatLimmick on Sat May 05, 2007 6:40 pm

I know, but that's part of my point: Not all science is equally mad.
GreatLimmick
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Umlaut House