Up In the Sky

Up In the Sky

Postby Sylvain on Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:54 am

Yay, a real, honest, actual update! And an interesting one to boot!

What is keeping the air in that elevator car? A force field? Given the small size of the vehicle, the life support apparatus must be quite compact.

To what is that elevator connected to? Unless the speed of that thing is truly tremendous, a geosynchronous satellite would take a while to reach, and there seems to be no seating provided. Anything else would need to be kept in place somehow.
Sylvain
Regular Poster

Postby Alfador on Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:04 am

Yay space elevator!
Three-tailed fox, in the house--Fox Den, that is!
Rick/Jake Shipper #00017
Alfador
Cartoon Hero

Postby DetailBear on Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:17 pm

It took me 3 panels to realize it was UH2. :o
HUGS = Huge, Unrestrained, Genial Squeezings.

A man’s accomplishments in life are the cumulative effect of his attention to detail. - John Foster Dulles
DetailBear
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:00 pm

Heh heh. Yeah, this arc, and honestly a good dozen or so in future, have a very Jack Kirby look to them much more remeniscent of the hiatus updates than previous Umlaut House comics.
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Re: Up In the Sky

Postby Nitwit on Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:40 pm

Sylvain wrote:To what is that elevator connected to? Unless the speed of that thing is truly tremendous, a geosynchronous satellite would take a while to reach, and there seems to be no seating provided. Anything else would need to be kept
in place somehow.

Geosynchronous orbit is usually quoted as a little over 35500 km above sea level. You can reduce the trip to the order of a long international flight (around 16 hours) at the speed of sound at sea level, which is probably a manageable trip given the apparant scale of the elevator shown in panel 1. Since they still quite early in the trip - the curvature of the earth is typically given as becoming significantly visiable at arund 18km (although the view suggests they are considerably higher), which is also near the top of the troposphere at the equator, the travel time to this point wouldn't nessecarily be a good indication of the final maximum speed.
It's not that I'm apathetic, it's that I'm ..... um .... OK, it's that I'm apathetic.
Nitwit
Regular Poster

Postby Ambiguous Fox on Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:25 am

I find it highly amusing that in today's comic (4/17) Miss Divza appears to have quite the god complex. I AM indeed.
So its come to this, eh?
Ambiguous Fox

Postby The_Fox on Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:08 am

Considering the robot is teleoperated, from what I understand, I would say that the person behind Moire has issues with themselves, and would much prefer to be Moire. ... But given the technology that Rick has demonstrated, I have to wonder why she/he was not able to accomplish this. Perhaps a lack of the necessary knowledge. It seems that "Moire"'s MO is robotics and engineering, rather than biological.
"What the?! Where did you get THAT?!"
"Creative aquisition."
The_Fox
Regular Poster

Postby Tetramorpheus on Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:35 pm

I was going to comment on the I AM, myself. Curses!
Tetramorpheus
Regular Poster

Postby Alfador on Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:25 am

So where is she teleoperating FROM? Inside the elevator itself? Or is she just coping with a fifth of a second of lag? (35500km * 1000m/km / 3*10^8 m/s = about a tenth of a second, multiplied by two for the round trip.)
Rick/Jake Shipper #00017
Alfador
Cartoon Hero

Postby Allan_ecker on Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:08 pm

The answer to this question is surprizingly interesting.
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby The_Fox on Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:51 pm

allan_ecker wrote:The answer to this question is surprizingly interesting.

...I can see where this is going, so forgive me for taking the liberty. "Which question?"

Allan's Response: *evil laugh*

- Jarylan "I see what you did there..."
"What the?! Where did you get THAT?!"
"Creative aquisition."
The_Fox
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:19 am

I'd write a reply but my response has already been written in the post above.

Perhaps I will anyway.

MWA HA HAHHAH AHAHA HAH A HAH A HAH AH AH AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA HA HAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...

--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobertBlake on Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:07 am

allan_ecker wrote:The answer to this question is surprizingly interesting.

I know! It's Volair's tail.
RobertBlake
Regular Poster

Postby Patchwork cat on Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:28 am

A group being perhaps?
(Knowing full well that if this statement is right, posting instantly negates this)...
Patchwork cat
Regular Poster

Postby Micro_Fur on Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:15 pm

Alfador wrote:So where is she teleoperating FROM? Inside the elevator itself? Or is she just coping with a fifth of a second of lag? (35500km * 1000m/km / 3*10^8 m/s = about a tenth of a second, multiplied by two for the round trip.)

You're assuming the operator is on Earth. I'm wagering a remote station already in orbit. *Has watched "Contact" one too many times* And as S.H. Hadden put it, 'Why build one when you can build two for twice the price!'

Micro_fur - Assume: Make an ass of you and me.
If the quest for answers only leads to more questions, did you ask the right question to begin with?
Micro_Fur
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:12 pm

*giggle*

--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby Micro_Fur on Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:24 pm

allan_ecker wrote:*giggle*

I recognize that giggle. . .You dirty, naughty, evil, dastard. . .>.> . . . .<.< . . . .(<---Shifty eyes, OH NOES!!!!1!!!) NOMN NOMN NOMN NOMN! Tasty plot line. *loud belch* 'Scuse me.

Micro_fur - If you know what in Dog's name just happened, please, please, please let me know. O.o
If the quest for answers only leads to more questions, did you ask the right question to begin with?
Micro_Fur
Regular Poster

Postby DetailBear on Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:50 pm

Allan likes almost nothing better than wild speculation and flailing possibilities. We are but beetles on pins, scrambling in the air with no chance of gaining purchase until he reveals the story to us.

It's one of the reasons we like him! :twisted:
HUGS = Huge, Unrestrained, Genial Squeezings.

A man’s accomplishments in life are the cumulative effect of his attention to detail. - John Foster Dulles
DetailBear
Regular Poster

Postby Alfador on Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:17 am

Micro_Fur wrote:
Alfador wrote:So where is she teleoperating FROM? Inside the elevator itself? Or is she just coping with a fifth of a second of lag? (35500km * 1000m/km / 3*10^8 m/s = about a tenth of a second, multiplied by two for the round trip.)

You're assuming the operator is on Earth. I'm wagering a remote station already in orbit. *Has watched "Contact" one too many times* And as S.H. Hadden put it, 'Why build one when you can build two for twice the price!'

Micro_fur - Assume: Make an ass of you and me.

On Earth: that much delay once the device is in orbit. In orbit: that much delay while the device is on Earth.

And it's been so long since I've seen this storyline in sketches that I'm not sure whether I ought to voice my THIRD speculation, because it might be simply memory of the true spoiler rather than a thought-up idea of my own.
Rick/Jake Shipper #00017
Alfador
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kels on Fri May 04, 2007 5:36 pm

I'm coming to the discussion kinda late, but why not do telepresence via the same sort of thing that allows Sissy to spy on folks? Just make it a two-way link instead of one-way and send your telemetry through that.

Or is that too simple?
Kels
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Umlaut House