Experimental Coffee

RobertBlake
Regular Poster

Experimental Coffee

Post by RobertBlake »

That's exactly how it went the first time I ever tried a mocha Frappucino. I love those things now.

Patchwork cat
Regular Poster

Post by Patchwork cat »

I know about experimental coffee!
In the UK you can buy the stuff. In pots, sachets and what appear to be emergency bicycle pumps...

Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Post by Allan_ecker »

This is the stuff they'll just leave open at the grocery store. The only difference is they put it into teabags, the idea being that the brewing process is similar enough to tea steeping that you could just make the stuff in an identical procedure, albeit with an unusually short steeping time (for tea at least).

The result is somewhere in between the toxic recoil-inducing foulness of instant coffee and the rich joy-fest of fresh brewed; your first reaction is a little flinch but after that you can kinda get used to it.

The actual event portrayed HERE however is what happened when I decided to make ovaltine coffee. In principle, ovaltine has a lot of the same ingredients as powdered creamer (not the non-dairy kind, tho, due to dried whey in the ingreedients list), with the addition of chocolate, creating an acceptable alternative to brewed coffee with a tinge of chocolate milk.

In theory.

The actual result was, well, Friday's comic. But as you can guess, it wasn't bad enough that I stopped drinking it.
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado

Patchwork cat
Regular Poster

Post by Patchwork cat »

er...YUK!

I have tried the famous 'coffee bags', didn't know they still made THOSE. I figured they were buried under a snow of instant 'cappucino'. The thing I remember about the bags was you could never steep them long enough for the REAL coffee to make a difference to the taste. Mostly they have instant powder added to make any actual coffee.
Come to think of it, maybe Ovaltine would be an improvement.

I reckon the technos can come back to me when they get a good instant espresso.

Cyril_Dran
Regular Poster

Post by Cyril_Dran »

It was a great comic.. from a purely stylistic standpoint (and this is probably just my fancy), I think it would have been better as a "silent" comic. The lack of panels, and the lack of other text, really draws your eyes to the word "Agh!!", which is about all I saw the first time I glanced through the comic. I had to go read it again to figure out that you were making coffee with a teabag. I think the face says enough to get the comic's point and humor across.
All fear the RP character from the completely private RP ^_^.
Current psuedonym/RP character count: 25
-Adding a touch of sanity, or insanity, where needed to balance the flow. .... Nah, I just like playing devil's advocate ^_^

Patchwork cat
Regular Poster

Post by Patchwork cat »

I like this style a lot and I certainly agree about the text. I didn't realise it was a bag myself- Being UH2 I assumed it was mad scientist experimental in a cheese wizz and time portal style- hehe.

Alfador
Cartoon Hero

Post by Alfador »

allan_ecker wrote:This is the stuff they'll just leave open at the grocery store. The only difference is they put it into teabags, the idea being that the brewing process is similar enough to tea steeping that you could just make the stuff in an identical procedure, albeit with an unusually short steeping time (for tea at least).

The result is somewhere in between the toxic recoil-inducing foulness of instant coffee and the rich joy-fest of fresh brewed; your first reaction is a little flinch but after that you can kinda get used to it.

The actual event portrayed HERE however is what happened when I decided to make ovaltine coffee. In principle, ovaltine has a lot of the same ingredients as powdered creamer (not the non-dairy kind, tho, due to dried whey in the ingreedients list), with the addition of chocolate, creating an acceptable alternative to brewed coffee with a tinge of chocolate milk.

In theory.

The actual result was, well, Friday's comic. But as you can guess, it wasn't bad enough that I stopped drinking it.
Reminds me of the poor-man's-mochas I make at my new temp job, just like I used to make at Flack+Kurtz: Free office coffee + packet of instant cocoa = TEH SUCK.
Three-tailed fox, in the house--Fox Den, that is!
Rick/Jake Shipper #00017

Micro_Fur
Regular Poster

Post by Micro_Fur »

Hey! I used to live off of that stuff. . .except it was decaf. . .and sugar-free cocoa mix. . .Ugh! Nevermind, I can taste it now. :ick: It really was TEH SUCK.

Micro_fur - Hindsight really is 20/20
If the quest for answers only leads to more questions, did you ask the right question to begin with?

Alfador
Cartoon Hero

Post by Alfador »

How in the name of all that tastes like chocolate could you live off of decaf??
Rick/Jake Shipper #00017

GreatLimmick
Regular Poster

Post by GreatLimmick »

I must be dense or something. I can't find the comic you folks are talking about.

Micro_Fur
Regular Poster

Post by Micro_Fur »

GreatLimmick wrote:I must be dense or something. I can't find the comic you folks are talking about.
For you my friend.
Alfador wrote:How in the name of all that tastes like chocolate could you live off of decaf??
It was all they provided that me at the mess halls when I was at my training command. They REALLY tried hard not to get people hooked on stimulants. Of course that didn't work for the many smoking monkeys that gathered every break. I just needed something to drink other than the bad tasting tap water to keep me alert. Caffine and Ehedrine, as I later found out put me to sleep rather quickly.

Micro_fur - Passed out in the middle of my final exam and still passed with a 3.66.
If the quest for answers only leads to more questions, did you ask the right question to begin with?

GreatLimmick
Regular Poster

Post by GreatLimmick »

Ah, I see. I didn't go far enough back into the archives.

Well, I've had this reaction to a lot of foods and beverages. It used to amaze my last roommate that I'd take a bite of something, discover that I didn't like it, and then continue to eat it simply because I'd already started...

Alfador
Cartoon Hero

Post by Alfador »

GreatLimmick wrote:Ah, I see. I didn't go far enough back into the archives.

Well, I've had this reaction to a lot of foods and beverages. It used to amaze my last roommate that I'd take a bite of something, discover that I didn't like it, and then continue to eat it simply because I'd already started...
I do the same. Because I HATE wasting food. (Usually I'll try to get someone else who likes it to eat it instead, though. This is why I didn't throw away my tin of Ginger Altoids a year ago after eating the first one--I waited until someone asked if they could have one, then gave 'em the whole tin.)
Rick/Jake Shipper #00017