Paper or PC?

Paper or PC?

Postby RobertBlake on Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:33 am

Well, there's really nothing wrong either panel, but I really like the first panel. Although, the hand lettering of the second panel makes me squee with joy.

Just saying. :P
Creator of the World of Fizz comic strip, untold amounts of insanity, and various bodily fluids. But mostly the comic strip.
RobertBlake
Regular Poster

Postby The_Fox on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:03 pm

I'm somewhat the opposite. I find the artwork prettier in the second panel, but find the first panel somewhat easier to read.

Since the second panel is still legible though, I would call it a minor thing.

- Jarylan "Practice makes perfect anyway."

EDIT: For clarification, directions are based on myself as I sit looking at the screen. Thus when I say left, I mean on the left side of the screen.
Last edited by The_Fox on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"What the?! Where did you get THAT?!"
"Creative aquisition."
The_Fox
Regular Poster

Postby GreatLimmick on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:07 pm

I can't get past the fact that the inside of Volair's ear is completely different from one panel to the other.
GreatLimmick
Regular Poster

Postby DetailBear on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:43 pm

The second panel looks "flatter" to me. The eyes have something to do with it.

And if I had had to guess, I would have said that the first panel was inked on the PC. The lettering may be the big confusion.

Hold it! My left or MR's left?
HUGS = Huge, Unrestrained, Genial Squeezings.

A man’s accomplishments in life are the cumulative effect of his attention to detail. - John Foster Dulles
DetailBear
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:10 pm

Your left. Of course I had it wrong once due to my total lisdexia.

The inside of Volair's ear looks totally different because IT DID NOT EXIST IN THE PENCIL SKETCH. So I was ad-libbing. I made it a point to ink this while *not* looking at the original, brush-inked version, so the difference ended up being pretty pronounced. If I'd been using the original inks as a reference that stuff woulda been spot-on, I tells ya.

The computer-inked version is the one with the hand-lettering, because.. um.. I already had done computer-generated text for the hand-inked one? :shifty:

And on a personal note, this chicken-scratched UNcomic of an update got me four replies where my rather lengthy color job and on-topic joke got me bupkis. Guess I know what kind of update to do more of over the next month... :twisted:
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Postby RobertBlake on Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:27 pm

Actually, I think it was because of Volair being in it. :lol:
Creator of the World of Fizz comic strip, untold amounts of insanity, and various bodily fluids. But mostly the comic strip.
RobertBlake
Regular Poster

Postby Hat-Kun on Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:06 am

Volair looks better on the right, since the arm on the T-shirt is better defined, the inner ear is a nicer shape, and the white tift of hair is better without the black line. But Saundra is better on the left since the arm is not so much a shapeless blob.

But that's not really the issue of ink vs computer. I think I'd say the hand-drawn panel looks nicer, but there really isn't much of a difference.
Hat-Kun
Regular Poster

Postby DetailBear on Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:24 pm

allan_ecker wrote:And on a personal note, this chicken-scratched UNcomic of an update got me four replies where my rather lengthy color job and on-topic joke got me bupkis. Guess I know what kind of update to do more of over the next month... :twisted:

There was a joke? :-?

But the updates getting the comments seem to be the ones where you reveal something about you or your comic-drawing process.
HUGS = Huge, Unrestrained, Genial Squeezings.

A man’s accomplishments in life are the cumulative effect of his attention to detail. - John Foster Dulles
DetailBear
Regular Poster

Postby RobertBlake on Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:59 pm

DetailBear wrote:
allan_ecker wrote:And on a personal note, this chicken-scratched UNcomic of an update got me four replies where my rather lengthy color job and on-topic joke got me bupkis. Guess I know what kind of update to do more of over the next month... :twisted:

There was a joke? :-?

But the updates getting the comments seem to be the ones where you reveal something about you or your comic-drawing process.

Allan should reveal himself more often then.
RobertBlake
Regular Poster

Postby Allan_ecker on Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:24 pm

Hee hee.

Don't worry, folks. I think that comic was about my lower threshold of what I'll accept as a comic update. Tuesday's update is pretty nice looking if you ask me.
<A HREF="http://umlauthouse.comicgenesis.com" TARGET=_blank>UH2: The Mayhem of a New Generation</A>

"Death and taxes are unsolved engineering problems."
--Romano Machado
Allan_ecker
Cartoon Hero

Return to Umlaut House