Cartooning as part of your character

Postby El Cid on Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:56 am

A number of cartoonists frequent this board, so I thought I'd post it here.

How much of your personality, or how much of your character is based upon the fact that you're a cartoonist? In other words, how much of <i>you</i> would be taken away if you weren't a cartoonist.

If you want to broaden it, you can say how much of yourself is based on the fact that you're an artist.
El Cid
Regular Poster

Postby The Joester on Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:33 pm

how much of me would be taken away if i weren't an artist? oh, i'd say roughly all my worries.
The Joester
Cartoon Hero

Postby Nell on Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:46 pm

Lordy, quite a bit. Everyone needs their forte, so to speak. I wouldn't say mine is artistry. I'm not even all that good. But still, it's my form of expression. It's my way of saying "Hey, see that doodle? See that scribble? That's <i>me</i>. That's me in that little sketch right there, right down to the crappy eye shape."

And self-expression, I believe, makes up a good portion of who you are.

Don't you?
ph33r /|3 4 1 @/| l337! l337 _ 1|<3 @ ph0x!
Nell
Regular Poster

Postby MiKE on Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:02 am

woah, that's actually a pretty deep thought.

i think that it's peoples talents that reflect their personaities, so yeah, i think if i didn't draw/paint i'd probaly be a different person.
MiKE
Regular Poster

Postby Bigeoff on Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:18 am

I think that art is just one of my talents, and I am a mulifaceted person so my life would go on without my art, but I certainly enjoy being an artist.

Deep down, I am really about the people that are around me and how the things I do affect them. I am a people person, and have had to learn that you can't always make everyone happy. Art helped me in this because there are many people who look at what I do and it doesn't do anything for them... my art is for the people who appreciate it... and that's the best metaphor for life that I can give.

Now I'll stop before this becomes a self-help book
~Later Days
Bigeoff
Regular Poster

Postby Micchi on Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:22 am

Without drawing I would be more of a loser than I already am.
o_O i'd spend all my time on the computer, no one would ever notice me and I wouldn't skateboard. Yes, drawing made me skate.
Micchi
Regular Poster

Postby The Joester on Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:09 pm

without art technically i'd be some loser buzz-cut kid or something. if you want to get technical the well-known art program at the catholic school i go to is the only reason i ended up there, and if i hadn'ta gone to a high school that's helping me out so much i'd probably have dropped out by now.

but that's not the question, is it? that's how the events of my life have been built around the art thing. Without art i would be someone completely different. i'd also have none of the same worries that i have now. like getting into a private art college or how everyone seems to think that all i do every waking moment of my life is draw stuff.

this post is too long. damn you for tricking me into writing a long post.
The Joester
Cartoon Hero

Postby Nell on Mon Mar 04, 2002 5:49 pm

On 2002-03-04 11:22, Micchi wrote:
Without drawing I would be more of a loser than I already am.
o_O i'd spend all my time on the computer, no one would ever notice me and I wouldn't skateboard. Yes, drawing made me skate.

Drawing made you skate? I'd like to hear that story sometime. :smile:
ph33r /|3 4 1 @/| l337! l337 _ 1|<3 @ ph0x!
Nell
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 9105 on Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:21 pm

Well, I'm a writer, but the same thing applies... You about yourself through your art, since your characters are essentially part of you... So, as they grow, you do as well...
ZOMBIE USER 9105

Postby JoshGuy on Wed Mar 20, 2002 3:24 pm

Well before I started cartooning, I've been pretty much the same person...

So uhm, I think it's the fact that I'm an artist... an artist-in-training... whatever that defines me more than the cartoonist part itself.

I think if that's taken away from me, I wouldn't be very proud or optimistic about myself, seeing that I wouldn't have anything that makes me special and different from the average Joe.
JoshGuy
Regular Poster

Return to Stubble