MTV's expose on furries (or at least the sex life thereof)

MTV's expose on furries (or at least the sex life thereof)

Postby TechnoTiger on Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:27 am

Did anyone see that MTV show where it looks into the sexual fetishes of people and they did one on Furries. During the show one of the people being interviewed said the the furry sub-culture is based on its sexual aspects only and those who say otherwise don't understand (or at least that's how I remeber it being said). My question, what are ya'll's comments?
Paranoia is a survival instinct, not an insanity.
TechnoTiger
Regular Poster

Postby W.M.Y.L.G. Joe on Sun Jan 19, 2003 10:57 am

MTV misrepresenting a sub-culture? THERE's a shocker :roll:
"If you take a slam, get up and land that sucker. Don't let it beat you." - Anon.

"God has the power to heal smooshed brains." - Gloria Higginbottom
W.M.Y.L.G. Joe
Regular Poster

Postby Ironpaw on Sun Jan 19, 2003 11:04 am

Yes, actually, I saw it, and yes, that's pretty close to a direct quote.

What is my feeling on it?

Hmmm... I think one's sexuality is as prevalent in all the things one does as one allows it to be. If you're leading a sex centred life (as that "character" demonstrated in the show), then surely all the things he does will have a sexual interest to him. As it is, I'm watching Redwall on TV right now and have not the SLIGHTEST interest in it sexually, I assure you.

However, like I said, as furry characters often represent the deep or unconcious feelings of a person, I'm sure that sexuality can be included in that. *shrugs*

However, for ME furriness is at least, in large part, embracing things more INNOCENT. Animals have a certain wild innocense to them, and anthropomorphic animals can often be characters from our childhood, simpler, purer, more carefree times. I watch childrens shows for the same reason, because... well... I can enjoy them in an entirely simple and somewhat nostalgic way. And because a lot of childrens shows are furry. ; P

Frankly, as we know, MTV was just being sensationalist, as most news media is now days. With such... OVERT sexuality in this fandom, how can we expect to be seen as anything else? I'm a furry, yeah... not one that surrounds himself with all the sexual trappings or engages in grand public expositions of spooge art and fursuit sex. My usual haunts are yerf, comics, and message boards, and that's it. But I don't flaunt my furriness with those I don't trust CLOSELY irl because of the stigma attached. Only those that could understand that one can be a fur and still attempt to remain squeeky clean will see past the pretense.

*shrugs* I have more to say on this, but I'mnot thinking too clearly at the moment, I just got up. Maybe later.

-Devon
Ironpaw
Regular Poster

Postby Gloria on Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:55 pm

You know, Freud thought the same thing.

And look what happened to him. (ie, he died)
~Gloria~
Gloria
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 7262 on Sun Jan 19, 2003 1:24 pm

For the record:

1) That's a repeat.
2) After the show was aired, the producers admitted that most of the material in the show was staged.
3) It's MTv... this has ratings grab written all over it.

There <i>are</i> people out there in the fandom like that, folks...and, frankly, there's some who are even more ratings-worthy for SexTV... but they're not all of us. :)
ZOMBIE USER 7262
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 10925 on Mon Jan 20, 2003 6:13 pm

I took a full course on Psych, and after studying Freid, I decided he need ed to see a shrink. IIRC, his contemporaries and "followers" even decided that he was "good" for the practice, in that he got a lot of "good" publicity and money their way.
ZOMBIE USER 10925
Regular Poster

Postby Starpaw on Tue Jan 21, 2003 9:23 am

Spectre_Eric wrote:I took a full course on Psych, and after studying Freid, I decided he need ed to see a shrink. IIRC, his contemporaries and "followers" even decided that he was "good" for the practice, in that he got a lot of "good" publicity and money their way.

I think I said this the first time Hollyann kicked off about this, but tv stations will always twist eveything for its own means, its true of all types of media. One time there was this thing on wicann's and being described as "devil worshipers" which was total bullshit and a generalisation of them, when in fact the devil is a part of christian belif systems and not theres as they belive in neither heven nor hell...

anyway what I'm trying to say is that they'll always pul it around to the way they want it portrayed

no doubt there is a sexuall aspect to it, but that comes down to each persons personal choice

and that ladies and gentlemen, is my two pence worth, thank you..
Starpaw
Regular Poster

Postby ZOMBIE USER 10915 on Tue Jan 21, 2003 2:51 pm

I didn't think anyone watched MTV anymore. :wink:

All media is grabbing for ratings by any means necessary.

Unfortunately for the fandom, that means the only people that will make it into any story will be the minority that swing to the extreme side.

The general populous will believe sensationalized stories because it makes them feel better about their pathetic lives and their own vices.

Since it isn't PC to pick on colored, homosexual or people of other nationalities and the fandom is becoming bigger and more visible, it's our turn to be victimized by the press.

The artwork and comic diversion is my favorite part. Fursuits are cool, I would like to build one but I don't know if I could wear it (defiantly not into orgies) and I enjoy tasteful nude but spooge doesn't really interest me.

I've met some nice people at Conifur but don't have any 'furry' friends to hang around with IRL.

Well, I'm starting to ramble and probably have put some of you to sleep so I better stop.
ZOMBIE USER 10915
Regular Poster

Return to Untitled!