RE: (OT/Sensitive) A crisis of conscious

Postby Afflicted on Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:41 am

(Lag wrote
Name a country that's not steeped in conflict and is Islamic; Mayalsia.
Ummm, not quite. There are travel advisories for westerners not to go there because of the large number of people kidnapped for ransom by islamic groups. Not to mention the growing number of incidences of people being strirred into a religious ferver then going out and burning non-muslim buisnesses, churches, homes and killing randomly along the way. You don't hear about it as much because americans arn't the main ones being killed currently. )

Er, I know I haven't been posting here for a while, but I think I should say something here since I'm FROM Malaysia.
One: There are no islamic groups out to kidnap foreigners in Malaysia. None!
Two: Unlike Indonesia, there are NO incidences of mass violent reliogios Muslim fervor (church burning, whatever). There is actually a practical reason for this; although Malaysia is a Muslim country by name, it's really multiracial. About 55-60% are Malays (thus by law, Muslim. Yes, it sucks), about 30-45% Chinese Malaysians and the rest are multiple races (mostly Indian). These figures are estimates only of course, but it is a worthy note that there is religious freedom in Malaysia (apart from some nits like if you marry a Muslim you must convert and once a Muslim, always a Muslim), and it's quite safe to say that more than 90% of non-Malays are not Muslim.

Three(long): Malaysia is a peaceful country by nature due to practical reasons- it's much too small a country for war (we've gotten trodden here and there by a whole slew of people in history) and also due to the importance of keeping racial harmony-very important theme back home.
Sometimes, churches can have a little trouble getting new buildings put up, but that's the extent of it (in fact if you look at the sheer number of new churches you wouldn't think there are be problems really). Religious freedom is also an important theme due to sheer amount of people in different religions(if somewhat biased in certain respects like those already mentioned).

Four: The news back home is pretty biased of course. Saddam is somewhat liked by the Muslim population (Chinese population not sure what to think, but some of us don't like him), so when they receive news of possible war for example there's no mention of why America says they want to attack. I'm living in UK right now. As to the people's reaction to September's tradgedy, officially the main political leaders support extinguishing terrorism and reducing religious fanatics- the Muslims are kind of mixed about the issue I think, but I wasn't around to check.

Please don't make assumptions if you don't know- you could always ask.
Afflicted

Postby Afflicted on Thu Dec 05, 2002 7:44 am

(Lag wrote
Name a country that's not steeped in conflict and is Islamic; Mayalsia.
Ummm, not quite. There are travel advisories for westerners not to go there because of the large number of people kidnapped for ransom by islamic groups. Not to mention the growing number of incidences of people being strirred into a religious ferver then going out and burning non-muslim buisnesses, churches, homes and killing randomly along the way. You don't hear about it as much because americans arn't the main ones being killed currently. )

Er, I know I haven't been posting here for a while, but I think I should say something here since I'm FROM Malaysia.
One: There are no islamic groups out to kidnap foreigners in Malaysia. None!
Two: Unlike Indonesia, there are NO incidences of mass violent reliogios Muslim fervor (church burning, whatever). There is actually a practical reason for this; although Malaysia is a Muslim country by name, it's really multiracial. About 55-60% are Malays (thus by law, Muslim. Yes, it sucks), about 30-45% Chinese Malaysians and the rest are multiple races (mostly Indian). These figures are estimates only of course, but it is a worthy note that there is religious freedom in Malaysia (apart from some nits like if you marry a Muslim you must convert and once a Muslim, always a Muslim), and it's quite safe to say that more than 90% of non-Malays are not Muslim.

Three(long): Malaysia is a peaceful country by nature due to practical reasons- it's much too small a country for war (we've gotten trodden here and there by a whole slew of people in history) and also due to the importance of keeping racial harmony-very important theme back home.
Sometimes, churches can have a little trouble getting new buildings put up, but that's the extent of it (in fact if you look at the sheer number of new churches you wouldn't think there are be problems really). Religious freedom is also an important theme due to sheer amount of people in different religions(if somewhat biased in certain respects like those already mentioned).

Four: The news back home is pretty biased of course. Saddam is somewhat liked by the Muslim population (Chinese population not sure what to think, but some of us don't like him), so when they receive news of possible war for example there's no mention of why America says they want to attack. I'm living in UK right now. As to the people's reaction to September's tradgedy, officially the main political leaders support extinguishing terrorism and reducing religious fanatics- the Muslims are kind of mixed about the issue I think, but I wasn't around to check.

Please don't make assumptions if you don't know- you could always ask.
Afflicted

Previous

Return to Untitled!