Copyright Question

The Gear is deprecated, use the Help forum or CG Wiki.

Copyright Question

Postby Kularian on Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:32 pm

Before anyone asks, yes, I did read the copyright pages, :D

If we do use something, like a background, from somewhere, and we give credit to them, are we still liable to get sued or something from the company? Because a friend and I have a webcomic on our computers, and we were thinking we were about ready to let it be released on the general public, when we ran across the copyright pages. Neither of us are well versed in law and its loopholes, so I was just wondering if mayhap we should find a new background, or as long as we give credit to the original owner, if we're okay.

Thank you very much for your help,
Kularian
Kularian

Postby Joel Fagin on Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:04 pm

You're not likely to be sued. It might not be legal, mind, but no one's going to bother actually trying to get money out of you. If someone from the company notices, the worst you'll get is a note saying "Oi! Stop!".

Mind you, there are probably places on the internet you can download and use images for the price of giving credit to the source.

Or you could buy a digital camera and make your own.

Or even draw them. Image

- Joel Fagin
Joel Fagin
nothos adrisor (GTC)

Postby Kularian on Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:35 pm

Thanks for your help. I didn't think that they'd get 'too' frustrated with us, but it's always better to be safe than sorry. Once we get up there in comics, we'll probably make a domain here for you all to read it. Thanks again!
Kularian

Return to Gear