feeling dumb (long post)

The Gear is deprecated, use the Help forum or CG Wiki.

feeling dumb (long post)

Postby PickleJar on Mon Aug 09, 2004 4:20 am

once again i have come up against something that makes me wonder how i manage to eat without getting covered in food, because i feel like a total f--king moron. either i'm just not "getting it", or the lack of links on the "gear" page that actually are links has become a barrier. i guess the easiest thing to do would be to explain how far i've gotten already, and talk about what i can't figure out...

so far:
i drew, scanned, edited and saved 6 strips
i've decided to update 3 days a week, on monday, wednesday and friday. today was supposed to be my "debut", but since i haven't yet figured out what i want to, i haven't mentioned it anywhere
i renamed the filenames of the strips appropriately (20040809.jpg is today, for example). i uploaded them in workspace/comics/

here's my befuddles:
i don't fully understand the update thing. do i have to go to this page every monday, wednesday and friday and update? do i do it sunday, tuesday and thursday? do i only do it when i've uploaded and/or edited something?
tags tags tags. i know basic HTML. i don't know any of this div stuff, i don't know xml. i used a body tag to change the colors to what i wanted, but when i used center and hr tags, they did nothing. how do i center stuff? how do i make a plain basic horizontal line without resorting to a table or image file?

that's the main stuff... anything else i'm having trouble with can wait until after i've managed to get through that stuff.

apologies if this is stuff that's been covered a zillion times, but any "FAQ" i've read seems to be written for people who already know what they're doing, or don't give a damn.

oh, in case you need to know, my username is uglinessman (i wanted picklejar but it was taken) and my strip is Ugliness Man's PICKLEJAR
PickleJar

Postby Faub on Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:49 pm

You may want to check the help forum as well. You'll find a FAQ and tutorial explaining a lot of what you just asked.

When you want to post a comic, you just need to upload the comic to /workspace/comics with appropriate date. If you want rant text you'll need to include that too. You do not need to change the templates (indextemplate.html and dailytemplate.html) every time. That's what autokeen does for you.

You should have a default template already on your site. I haven't checked. This means you can upload comics without worrying about changing your template immediately.
Faub
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Return to Gear