RSS woot!

The Gear is deprecated, use the Help forum or CG Wiki.

RSS woot!

Postby Phact0rri on Sat May 29, 2004 10:47 am

I don't remember seeing an update about this, but I was messing with my RSS reader, (cause yahoo groups just added support) so I was clicking on the webcomics I had rss bookmarks for. and low and behold it didn't send me to the guide boxes but instead it brings up the newest comics now.

so thank you Kisai or whomever did this.. and everyone should check out the new xml, that we have and start pimping it to your readers. ^_^
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby JexKerome on Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:51 am

Where do you get and RSS reader? I know we have an RSS file that tells you the last time the comic was updated, but when I double click on it I get a bunch of tags, which I presume is the file structure itself.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Faub on Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:45 pm

RSS is XML so it needs a special reader to open it, something that knows wha the tags mean. Most browsers will display XML as source unless there's a .xlt(?) file to go with it. (I don't remember the actual extension, but it describes how to convert the XML into HTML so it can be viewed in a browser.)

Readers:
http://blogspace.com/rss/readers

A reader for mozilla:
http://fls.moo.jp/moz/rssreader.html
Faub

Postby Bryy on Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:09 pm

Someone want to explain RSS to a newbie?
Bryy

Postby Dutch! on Sat Jul 31, 2004 12:03 am

And while you're at it, explain rss to a not-so-newbie?
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Dutch!
Red galah

Postby Luchito on Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:33 am

RSS is a format for syndicating news and the content of news-like sites.

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/12/18/dive-into-xml.html

A RSS feed comprises a channel, which has a title, link, description, and (optional) language, followed by a series of items, each of which have a title, link, and description.
Luis Gonz
Luchito
Regular Poster

Postby Dutch! on Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:05 am

Can I withdraw the question?
Remember when your imagination was real? When the day seemed
longer than it was, and tomorrow was always another game away?
Dutch!
Red galah

Postby JexKerome on Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:13 am

Man, I'd forgotten about this thread for so long. And even though I'm taking some pills that enhance memory, whose name I can't quite seem to recall right now...

Anyway, here's the question: does our RSS does what Phactorri says, that is, show the latest comic?

I was under the impression it just informed you when the last update ocurred.

And no, I haven't gotten the RSS reader yet, that's why I don't know :P .
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Faub on Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:31 pm

The RSS makes a link to your latest's page's archive page.
Faub

Postby AndrewTaylor on Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:13 pm

Opera reads RSS pretty well, if you have that.
Andrew | If you are not 100% Irony-compliant, please disregard the above post.

Apathy: Join The Self-Deprecation Society
AndrewTaylor
Regular Poster

Postby Henryuu Reesaa on Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:42 pm

hmm...not sure how much this will help anyone, but if you've ever seen KlipFolio, you could use that, and even distribute it. You make what's called a Klip. It basically lets you (and anyone you distribute it to) get updates on various sources delivered to your desktop, It currently accepts 5 types of sources, one of which is RSS. Also accepts XML.

They really aren't too hard to make either. Just get the URL of your RSS feed, and you'll have to know a little big of XML. If you have no idea about XML, there's a little tutorial on WebMonkey that taught me how.

To use it though, you'll need to get KlipFolio at the Serence website and to get some info on how to make it (and some free promotion on their Klip database) you need to sign up with KlipProvider, which lets you manage all the Klips you make and submit to Serence. In the end it's really worth it. I make RSS feed reading Klips all the time for my friends' LiveJournals, so if anyone ever needs help with making them, you can PM me.

Very useful way of reading RSS and promoting your site by the way.
Henryuu Reesaa

Postby JexKerome on Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:04 am

Having read all this (and having installed the reader), I still can't see any benefits for a free comic. Anyone care to elaborate?
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:59 am

basically, it allows people to know when you update. think of it like a "dynamic bookmark"
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby JexKerome on Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:07 am

But to do that, they'd have to open up their reader. Seems to me it would only work for people who, for some reason, always have an RSS reader active all the time. Far as I know, there is little -if any- people like that.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Tue Sep 14, 2004 4:06 pm

I have sage for Firefox.. and I always have my reader on. its part of my daily routine. I have a section for webcomics.. including the webcomic lists RSS, which works just as well. really. its not instant for updates, but it updates its list of "today's comics" in a few hours from when they update. there are comics I like but dont have RSS feeds though. and well 9 times out of 10 I don't keep up with them because of that,.

but I'm just one guy.
Phact0rri

Postby Risky on Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:31 pm

Yahoo.

If you use yahoo you can have your RSS feeds appear next to your email and news and so on, on your "my.yahoo.com" page. So if someone wants, they can add your comic to their "my yahoo" page, and they'd see a new headline on their page every time your comic updates, under the header of your comic. The headline would have a link to your latest comic on it.

Also livejournal. Someone using LJ can syndicate your feed if they are a paid user (or you can syndicate it your damnself), and someone can add that feed to their "friends" page on LiveJournal (where you can read all your friend's latest updates on one page), and the feed would appear on it, with a link to your comic, every time your comic updated. I currently read a lot of comics this way, including Calvin and Hobbes, and Sinfest. Someone else syndicated them (and those are actual images, not links).
~Scott
Image Image
Risky

Postby Smorris on Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:16 pm

Am I correct in assuming that this must be the way that sites like http://www.thewebcomiclist.com know when your site last updated? If so, this is extremely useful as that site will bring your comic to the top of the pile every time its updated, and any webcomiclist subscribers will be automatically notified when your comic is updated. I noticed that is a great place for promotion when I found out about it, which was unfortunately right before I let my strip drop for a while. Now that I'm updating manually, it doesn't seem to know that I'm doing it. (Which would further support that they're using the RSS file.)

-Scott
Smorris
Regular Poster

Postby JordanHighway on Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:47 pm

I keep hearing in the forums about using RSS to have a live bookmark for the many online comics, however, I notice that the RSS is not implemented in a way that FireFox can recognize. What I mean is that if I go to a website like http://www.macnn.com, I get the RSS icon at the bottom of the screen and can create a live bookmark (displaying all of the latest links to todays news articles). All of the Keenspace comics I have looked at thusfar do not display this icon. And I think this is due to the header HTML code.

Code: Select all
<link rel="alternate" title="Name Of RSS Bookmark" href="//the.web.address/feedname.xml" type="application/rss+xml">

This would make it so as soon as the page loads, the RSS icon would appear at the bottom of the FireFox browser window.

This code has to be added within the...
Code: Select all
<HEAD></HEAD>
...code.

Not sure if this has been discussed before, so I apologize if it has.
JordanHighway

Postby Phalanx on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:02 pm

No it hasn't. I hope one of the admins see this post then.
The Jaded - Action. Adventure. Danger. For Hire.
Lonely Panel - Explore. Travel. Comics.
Phalanx

Postby JordanHighway on Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:22 pm

just so I can be clearer, the RSS feeds on the sites that support it DO work in FireFox, but they do not automatically display the RSS icon. I have to go to their RSS page, copy the link, and then manually create a Live Bookmark. Now this isn't a hard thing to do, but giving users the ability to use the automatic RSS bookmark feature in FireFox would be a good thing, and only takes a minimal ammount of code.
JordanHighway

Next

Return to Gear