Top 5 Science Fiction books of the year?

Top 5 Science Fiction books of the year?

Postby Redmenace5 on Sun Oct 20, 2002 8:22 pm

Hey, all, happy news. In an effort to break away from the Daily Cal and its hellish daily hard news style and rekindle my love for the written word, I went and pitched myself to the book editor of the East Bay Express. Lo and behold, I seem to have gotten myself a tentative assignment - a top five list of the year's best sci-fi books! Hooray! This makes me very happy for there are fewer things that are closer to my heart. Only problem is, well, I'm behind in my reading and it turnns out I haven't been keeping up with the year's science fiction nearly as much as I should have. So here's a question for you - what're some good sci fi books that have come out in 2002 that I can take a look at? Someone's already suggested Neil Gaiman's "American Gods," but I need four more titles. C'mon, give me a hand- you know I'd do the same for you...

PS. Go see "Spirited Away." It's awesome. It'll make you forget your troubles. And, if you want a scare, go see "The Ring." It's honestly the scariest thing I've seen in my entire life.
Teeeeeam Firework! A three-man dynamo for all your firework related needs! Engineer, Sparky! Technician, Pyro! And manager, King Aelf, Lord of the Little People!

Team Firework: Lighting up the Skies with Elfin Flame!

http://fantasticalbestiary.keenspace.com
Redmenace5
Regular Poster

Postby DoneDirtCheap on Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:41 pm

Ack.
Well, were this the summer, I'd be able to help you out. As it's during the school year, I'm anus-deep in Whitman, Emerson, Kant, Kolsko, and various others. No scifi for me.

So sad.

Congratz on the assignment, though!
DoneDirtCheap
Regular Poster

Postby Brentos on Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:09 am

Just make something up.
... and I like the Clash.
Brentos
Regular Poster

Postby Redmenace5 on Wed Oct 23, 2002 11:48 am

Hey, that's okay, I still love you guys!

Dirtcheap, could be worse. You could have to read Faulkner. Ew.
Teeeeeam Firework! A three-man dynamo for all your firework related needs! Engineer, Sparky! Technician, Pyro! And manager, King Aelf, Lord of the Little People!

Redmenace5
Regular Poster

Postby DoneDirtCheap on Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:09 pm

Hey! I like Faulkner.
Philistine.
DoneDirtCheap
Regular Poster

Postby Redmenace5 on Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:42 pm

You...like...Faulkner?!?

Ewwwwww.

I had to read that damn "Go Down Moses" in Introduction to American Literature. I was lost by the time I got to the second page.

If you want quality classic literature, you need to read Nikolai Gogol, Johann Goethe, Ludwig Tieck, or E.T.A. Hoffman. Now those are quality authors. Yeah, baby!

Redmenace5
Regular Poster

Postby Prankster on Sun Oct 27, 2002 11:24 am

Um, about the only SF story Iv'e read from this year is Orson Scott Card's "Shadow Puppets", but it's really good. Despite the fact that it's like the fifth sequel to Ender's Game, he's found a really, really interesting way of keeping the concept fresh--veering off to deal with other characters in a totally different time frame. And it deals with what the political situation might become in another century or so, so it's very relevant.
Prankster
Regular Poster

Postby Redmenace5 on Mon Oct 28, 2002 12:10 am

Cool, thank you, my man! Hey, just noticed you joined Turbocool. Congrats!

Redmenace5
Regular Poster

Return to Fantastical Bestiary, The