Artist's Update - 8 / 11 / 02

Artist's Update - 8 / 11 / 02

Postby OnlyOne on Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:16 pm

Today's comic was interesting for me to write. If you thought Aleste's belligerence didn't make total sense during the flight arcs...well, so did I. Sometimes I don't think things all the way through, which is why I sat down and asked myself 'Why is Aleste such an asshole?' and looked for the most interesting answer. What I came up with was 'He rationally chooses to be one.'
I wonder if this is a position that my readers can relate to? I mean, Paige seems to live a charmed life, driving an expensive car, playing with the deadliest weapon in the world, wearing gorgeous dresses and being best friends with Janna and the rest of the Lockheed crew. Looking at someone who has it all, don't you wish they had just one wrench in their works, one thorn in their side? Aleste does, and he decided to take it upon himself to be that antagonist.
Is Aleste a nice guy? Not really...he's workable, but he's sure not a sweetheart. Is he a total bastard? Not really...but sometimes he puts on a good show of it.
Silpheed seems to like him, though. Maybe it just takes the right kind of energetic yet mellow attitude.
- Barry
OnlyOne
Regular Poster

Postby Skittles on Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:07 am

Maybe it's because I'm half asleep, but it makes a lot of sense. Not something I can relate to (although now that I think about it, this would explain Jr. High), but it makes sense. And I think it's cool, he's a bastard (not compltely) for rational reasons. Rational is cool.

I also like the orange in the dress. :D
~*~ Skittles ~*~
$$ Taste the Rainbow $$
Tag 'N' Out
Skittles
Regular Poster

Postby Kalron on Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:41 pm

I prefer my antagonists to be utterly irrational. The type that (for one reason or another) view the entire world as an evil monster, and thusly have no hesitation in chopping its head off. Thereby, when the time comes to CONFRONT the antagonist, one doesn't need to pity them, or try to TALK to them. This allows for more death, and more explosions. It also prevents global warming, and could potentially cure cancer.
I'm really just thinking on the children here.

But if you want a character that's more like a REAL person, as opposed to the superior HOLLYWOOD person, I suppose your way works, too. Though, be warned, it will lead to the developement of PLOT (which was banned years ago in hollywood), and might cause people to have to think about your comic, as opposed to just dumbly stare at it, and point out the colors. You're a brave man.

--Kalron, filibuster
Kalron

Return to Only One