Speaking of decoys & death... (Tonite's X-File, BIG SPOI

Speaking of decoys & death... (Tonite's X-File, BIG SPOI

Postby GuidoC on Sun Apr 21, 2002 7:46 pm

I don't know how many people here are still watching the X-Files this season (at least two of my friends have stopped watching since Mulder left), but tonight's episode really caught me by surprise. At first I thought it was going to be a goofy little show to wrap up the goofy little Lone Gunmen spin-off, which was left in kind of an odd place when it was canceled.

Well they wrapped up the show all right. By killing off the Gunmen. :o

Although I personally liked those three and was upset they got offed, I personally liked the episode. I thought it was well written; there was some good foreshadowing in particular with Langley telling Fletcher about Joey Ramone and Byre's conversation w/ Frohike.

The ending was obviously taken from The Wrath of Kahn (between this and Futurama, anybody notice a heck of a lot of Star Trek references on Fox tonight?) but it was still a fitting and noble end for the three idealists. They wanted to save the day, and they did.

Damn it, I liked those guys. :cry:
GuidoC
Regular Poster

So sad to see them go

Postby Nabiki_neumann on Mon Apr 22, 2002 5:40 am

:cry:
I was flipping through, and even though I don't generally watch the X-Files, I did love the Lone Gunmen and recognized them right away so we stopped to watch that episode. Imagine my horror when my hopes of a return for them (they were even in the poll on who to add to the next X-Files movie) dashed by their tragic and noble deaths. There was another movie that it put me in the mind of as well as 'Wrath of Khan,' but I'm drawing a blank right now
Nabiki_neumann
Regular Poster

X Files

Postby Maccabee on Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:36 pm

I thought the story as a whole was alright, and I was glad they didn't wimp out on killing popular characters once they'd set up a situation that demanded it. However, I found the maudlin, cliche pandering at the end of the episode insulting. "Gosh, they were wonderful. They were heroes. Heroes make the world a better place. Just like everyone in Arlington National Cemetary." Gag me.

A decent writer can show pain without repeated blows from a metaphorical sledgehammer. After 50 minutes of being pretty happy with what I was seeing I walked away feeling like Chris Carter thinks I'm an idiot.

Oh well, at least it's fertile ground for parody.

Maccabee,
who hates disliking TV sf but somehow does it an awful lot
Risus est telum ultimum contra tyrranidem. Nullus dictator exercitibus totiis ridiculem vulgi longe resistere potest.
Maccabee
Regular Poster

X Files

Postby Maccabee on Mon Apr 22, 2002 1:42 pm

I thought the story as a whole was alright, and I was glad they didn't wimp out on killing popular characters once they'd set up a situation that demanded it. However, I found the maudlin, cliche pandering at the end of the episode insulting. "Gosh, they were wonderful. They were heroes. Heroes make the world a better place. Just like everyone in Arlington National Cemetary." Gag me.

A decent writer can show pain without repeated blows from a metaphorical sledgehammer. After 50 minutes of being pretty happy with what I was seeing I walked away feeling like Chris Carter thinks I'm an idiot.

Oh well, at least it's fertile ground for parody.

Maccabee,
who hates disliking TV sf but somehow does it an awful lot
Risus est telum ultimum contra tyrranidem. Nullus dictator exercitibus totiis ridiculem vulgi longe resistere potest.
Maccabee
Regular Poster

Return to FANS!