He said it! He actually said it!

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:13 am

Stu actually called it "The War of Northern Aggression"!!!! I can't believe it! Especially after the hot debate on the topic!
Now I don't know if this specifically means he's racist but I think it dos show that he's a good ol' boy who knows where his loyalties ought ta be!

OMG, T did you throw that in there SPECIFICALLY to hook it onto the threads, or did Greg SPECIFICALLY discuss it in his post to establish it in our minds?
Note: I don't really expect an answer.

Ha! I know they're Espins but it looks like they're being atacked by Ninjas! I can't stop giggling when I picture Confederate ninja squads!
"Hiya'll!" or some such talk.
:wink:

[edit]
Oh yeah, and Harry called Stu a jackass! Yay Harry! I can see a fanfic now starring Harry and Arlen.....
"Grumpy Old Fen"

[end Fans! code]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Tom the Fanboy on 2002-04-19 01:15 ]</font>
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Shatteredtower on Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:33 am

On 2002-04-19 01:13, Tom the Fanboy wrote:
Stu actually called it "The War of Northern Aggression"!!!! I can't believe it!

Why not? No, seriously, why not?

Especially after the hot debate on the topic!

Funny, I don't remember Stu posting on the subject. :wink:

Now I don't know if this specifically means he's racist but I think it does show that he's a good ol' boy who knows where his loyalties ought ta be!

Assuming he's racist because his sympathies might lie with the Confederacy would be a pretty ignorant position to take - but we've been over that here.

Assuming that he shouldn't sympathize with the Confederacy is a rather biased view. To assume that sympathy must translate into action is also pretty shaky.

(I have sympathy for the woman who mugged me last year, but I still laid her out flat twice. I have sympathy for those of you who object to violence, and those who would never raise a hand against a woman, but not enough to have let her assault me.)

Oh yeah, and Harry called Stu a jackass! Yay Harry!

Fair enough, and a good point by Harry. Right now, that puts him higher in my books than Rikk, who we've never seen talk with Stu at all.

(Telling him the results of the vote does not count. It's much like Stu said of Guth - he wasn't talking to Stu, he was talking so he could hear himself.)
Shatteredtower
Regular Poster

Postby Aris Katsaris on Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:29 am

On 2002-04-19 02:33, Shatteredtower wrote:
Oh yeah, and Harry called Stu a jackass! Yay Harry!

Fair enough, and a good point by Harry. Right now, that puts him higher in my books than Rikk, who we've never seen talk with Stu at all.

<g> So the standard you use to judge people is "How do they relate to Stu?" He's not the center of all creation, you know... :wink:

(Telling him the results of the vote does not count. It's much like Stu said of Guth - he wasn't talking to Stu, he was talking so he could hear himself.)

No, Rikk was talking so that he wouldn't *kill*. An act of civilisation, as I've called it before.

Other than that, calling it "The War of Northern Aggression" is more than saying he has sympathy for the South. It's also a declaration on what *he* feels was the moral character of the war. And that attitude may coincide with some (hopefully few) Southern folk, but I doubt you'll hear it anywhere else on the *planet* and not have it treated as a possible sign for racism.

As a sidenote is Jackie also from the South? I don't remember if it's ever been stated...
Aris Katsaris
Regular Poster

Postby T Campbell on Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:02 am

The "War of Northern Aggression" was there in the first draft. I use the phrase occasionally, just to annoy Greg.

Not too much is in the comic about where the Fans are actually from. But for the record: Rikk, Katherine, Meighan, Tim, and Shanna are all from the urban South. Stu and Guth are from the deep South, though Guth grew up actively resisting his environment. Will and Harry were moved around a lot as kids, but Harry has fond memories of Boston, and Will of New York City, which is also where Jackie grew up. Alisin lived in California before she began her nomadic existence in her teens. Rumy is, of course, from Japan, and Tim the Fanboy is not.
T Campbell
Regular Poster

Postby Maccabee on Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:14 am

This is the first I've heard of some of these origins.

T, why didn't you tell me Rumy was from Japan? :razz:

Maccabee
Risus est telum ultimum contra tyrranidem. Nullus dictator exercitibus totiis ridiculem vulgi longe resistere potest.
Maccabee
Regular Poster

Postby Lordjulius on Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:23 am

T said:

Not too much is in the comic about where the Fans are actually from. But for the record: Rikk, Katherine, Meighan, Tim, and Shanna are all from the urban South. Stu and Guth are from the deep South, though Guth grew up actively resisting his environment.

Ah. This explains a lot. Coming in late, I didn't know a lot of the background. I assume you yourself are a Southerner, T? And Billberg is somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line? Hmmm. I don't know why, but I've just sort of assumed Billberg was one of those large anonymous midwestern universities, like OSU or Michigan. Guess I was wrong.

Will and Harry were moved around a lot as kids, but Harry has fond memories of Boston, and Will of New York City, which is also where Jackie grew up. Alisin lived in California before she began her nomadic existence in her teens. Rumy is, of course, from Japan, and Tim the Fanboy is not.

Aha! Those of us who thought there was something mysterious about Tim II were right! Goody, goody!
Lord Julius
Grandlord of Palnu

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Lordjulius
Regular Poster

Postby MatteoDL on Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:32 am

On 2002-04-19 07:23, lordjulius wrote:
T said:

Rumy is, of course, from Japan, and Tim the Fanboy is not.

Aha! Those of us who thought there was something mysterious about Tim II were right! Goody, goody!

No, actually, there's nothing mysterious about Tim II. He just "is not". He doesn't exist. He's the Fans' imaginary friend.
MatteoDL
Regular Poster

Postby Sebastian on Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:18 am

On 2002-04-19 06:02, T Campbell wrote:
and Tim the Fanboy is not.

Man, You are SOOOOOOO evil.

and what was going to say the professor?

"Besides he..." what? what is Stu? or what will do/become in the future?

well, I have a theory.

I believe that Stu is the grand-grandfather (or something like that) of the Professor.

Look at Stu face here, for example and Professor face here and after, don't you think that there is some resemblance? The nose, the ears, the chin (expecially by side) they are all very similiar. And Stu in the comic have a face very peculiar , so I don't think it's a coincidence.
bye
Sebastian

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:25 am

Wow! Thanks T! I'll go jot that down somewhere! Now I've just got to find that post a looooooooong time ago where you gave their ages. Dangit! Why didn't I always take good notes??!?!

On 2002-04-19 08:32, MatteoDL wrote:
No, actually, there's nothing mysterious about Tim II. He just "is not". He doesn't exist. He's the Fans' imaginary friend.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Silence you!
Tim the Fanboy is real I tell you! REAL!
*claps his hands a bunch*
I do believe in fanboys!
I do believe in fanboys!
................no this does not mean Fanboys are fairies!
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Lordjulius on Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:55 am

At the beginning of "Chord of the Rings," Jackie was 17 and Will was 21.

(So why is he acting like he's practically her father? I'm seven years older than my wife, although I'll admit that when we met she was 29, and there's not as much difference between 29 and 36 as there is between 17 and 24, and by the time we're 76 and 83, we'll be practically the same age!)

Don't know about the rest, nor am I sure how much time has passed since then, but I think not much. That was summer. "New Faces" was obviously the beginning of the new school year. "Teccies" and "Disestablishing Shots" could all have taken place over just a few days, it looks like to me.

I'm guessing Kath and Shanna are older than the rest. They're both out of school and working, right? I figure Rikk and Tim to be about the same age as Will, while Stu is a fellow freshman with Jackie, 17 or 18. Rumy I see as younger than all but the freshmen (though I couldn't tell you why), and I really have no idea about Alisin. How close am I, T?
Lordjulius
Regular Poster

Postby FlyingFish on Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:59 am

He's from the Planet Zarquon. :grin:

Actually, another unknown about him, while we're on the subject. He's one of three fans we don't have a last name for yet (the other two being Meighan and Jackie). Odd, considering that calling him "Tim [last name]" or "T.[Last Initial]" would be a lot easier than "Tim the Fanboy."
FlyingFish
Regular Poster

Postby KingLeon on Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:32 am

I think some of us guessed she was from NYC when her 'Brit-persona' was devoured by the Brain and she started talking Brooklyn...

(After thinking a bit)
Two things. T might be leading us on about TimtF, after all, he seems to like creating controversy and discussion.

And some assume that Stu is defending the Cigars because otherwise the General would defeat the world. If Stu is supportive of the South...
Isn't it likely he doesn't believe what the Prof says and may well destroy the Cigars if given the chance? I mean, Stu isn't the sharpest block, and he might believe that the future divided countries would be STRONGER and BETTER than the current US...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KingLeon on 2002-04-19 13:03 ]</font>
KingLeon
Regular Poster

Postby MatteoDL on Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:10 pm

On 2002-04-19 10:55, lordjulius wrote:
At the beginning of "Chord of the Rings," Jackie was 17 and Will was 21.

[...]

I'm guessing Kath and Shanna are older than the rest. They're both out of school and working, right? I figure Rikk and Tim to be about the same age as Will, while Stu is a fellow freshman with Jackie, 17 or 18.

I seem to recall that Tim and Guth met because they took a course together. That should be a hint that they are about the same age.
MatteoDL
Regular Poster

Postby FrustratedPilot on Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:19 pm

You know, I would think a young person today would be a more plausible character if he/she were totally ignorant of history. When I was in high school, the history teacher had a movie showing on video (<i>El Cid</i> probably) and one of the students watching with me asked what the historical setting was supposed to be. This happened during a sequence showing a jousting tournament. I made the guy guess. He guessed it was the time of the Roman Empire. I just shook my head.

Stu would probably rank all the wars by what "kewl" action movies they inspired, thus:

French & Indian Wars: <i>Last of the Mohicans</i>

The American Revolution: <i>The Patriot</i>

The French Revolution: <i>The Scarlet Pimpernel</i>

The Civil War: <i>Glory</i> (I'm sure Stu would like it for the END...)

World War Two: <i>Pearl Harbor</i> or <i>U-571</i>

Vietnam: <i>Apocalypse Now</i>

Somalia: <i>BlackHawk Down</i>

With the main problem of this system being the lack of "kewl" action movies covering the lion's share of history.
FrustratedPilot
Regular Poster

Postby Backslider on Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:14 pm

The Civil War: <i>Glory</i> (I'm sure Stu would like it for the END...)

Why, particularly? Because of all the dead black soldiers in the closing shot? I still haven't seen any reason Stu's automatically a racist simply because he's from the Deep South and believes in all the "war of Northern Agression" nonsense. No more racist than the average white American, that is. He could just be a lout, pure and simple.
Is it just me, but is Stu too much of a characiture of an unlikeable character? Is it too easy to dislike him. Hell, even the way he's drawn, you wanna see the guy get his. I'm sure T. has something up his sleave...

World War Two: <i>Pearl Harbor</i> or <i>U-571</i>
Nah, I'd say Kelly's Heroes.

Vietnam: <i>Apocalypse Now</i>
One of the Missing In Action movies of Full Metal Jacket.

Matt
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson
"All politicians are liars and nothing they say should ever be believed." - I.F. Stone
"God told me I could drive." - Truckadelic
Backslider

Postby KingLeon on Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:43 pm

I think that guy would have to be a rare idiot... Most of the public highschoolers I know, they know even what armaments were historical... Heck, our lunch table sounds like a meeting between a paranoid, conspiracy-theory-creating group of liberals and far-too-well-informed conservatives...

Of course... I've just spent my last two years in advanced placement courses... Hmm.
KingLeon
Regular Poster

Postby Ray Radlein on Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:36 pm

On 2002-04-19 14:10, MatteoDL wrote:
I seem to recall that Tim and Guth met because they took a course together. That should be a hint that they are about the same age.

Unless Guth has skipped grades, which actually seems pretty likely, to me (of course, Tim might have also).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Strom Thurmond Congress wagh'nagl fhtagn.
Ray Radlein
Regular Poster

Postby Ray Radlein on Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:40 pm

Ah. This explains a lot. Coming in late, I didn't know a lot of the background. I assume you yourself are a Southerner, T? And Billberg is somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon line? Hmmm. I don't know why, but I've just sort of assumed Billberg was one of those large anonymous midwestern universities, like OSU or Michigan. Guess I was wrong.

Billberg is located just a diminutive nickname away from a really old colonial city in Virginia. The University is also a very Mary place.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Strom Thurmond Congress wagh'nagl fhtagn.
Ray Radlein
Regular Poster

Postby FrustratedPilot on Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:43 pm

I would think a bigger clue is that they could DRIVE to Atlanta (in TMDG) but had to FLY to Kansas (in F,S&H).
FrustratedPilot
Regular Poster

Postby Shatteredtower on Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:44 pm

On 2002-04-19 03:29, Aris Katsaris wrote:

<g> So the standard you use to judge people is "How do they relate to Stu?" He's not the center of all creation, you know... :wink:

Couldn't resist, could you? :razz: But the answer to your question is my standard for judging people is how they relate to all people - the ones they loathe as well as the ones they like.

[/quote]

No, Rikk was talking so that he wouldn't *kill*. An act of civilisation, as I've called it before.[/quote]

*snort* You call it the moral high ground, if you want - to me, it's nothing but a moral high horse.

Other than that, calling it "The War of Northern Aggression" is more than saying he has sympathy for the South. It's also a declaration on what *he* feels was the moral character of the war. And that attitude may coincide with some (hopefully few) Southern folk, but I doubt you'll hear it anywhere else on the *planet* and not have it treated as a possible sign for racism.

And that is the problem of the listener, not the speaker. Besides, why would anyone else on the planet feel the need for another term for it? We don't have another name for the Second World War in Canada - and the only reason "The War to End All Wars" is still referenced is for the ironic value, relevant to people worldwide.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shatteredtower on 2002-04-19 23:45 ]</font>
Shatteredtower
Regular Poster

Next

Return to FANS!