Urge...to kill..rising

Postby Devlor on Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:18 pm

Any sympathy that I felt for Stu for trying to help Shanna's mom just flew out the window at mach 3. I have rarely felt so goddamned angry at a character in my life. Hell, he even made Rikk lose his temper!
"Humans need fantasy to be human, to be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape."--Death, courtesy of Terry Pratchett
Devlor
Regular Poster

Postby RalphP on Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:20 pm

On 2002-03-28 19:18, devlor wrote:
Any sympathy that I felt for Stu for trying to help Shanna's mom just flew out the window at mach 3. I have rarely felt so goddamned angry at a character in my life. Hell, he even made Rikk lose his temper!

Maybe that's Stu's fannish power - for "He who makes you angry controls you". Rikk is passing control to Stu at that point - which might be what Stu wants.

As for me - I don't want Stu DEAD, but having Will use him as a bat to beat the dents out of the cars wouldn't be amiss ...

RwP
RalphP

Postby KingLeon on Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:22 pm

I must agree.

Nice to see Brain's affects aren't permanent, at least.

And notice WHO is stopping Rikk? Why, Will, the very person who has done terrible things in his own temper.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: KingLeon on 2002-03-28 19:23 ]</font>
KingLeon
Regular Poster

Postby Devlor on Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:28 pm

I don't want him dead, I'm just chronicly prone to hyperbole.

I doubt that Stu is doing this on purpose to control Rikk; he might be intellegent enough, but he doesn't seem devious enough (distracting Guth to knock him down seems to be the extend of that charcateristic in him). That's what has me so angry, though; he honestly believes what he is saying is true, and that Rikk would feel that way :mad:

I have to complement the General though: she seems to be playing events quite well (damn).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: devlor on 2002-03-28 19:28 ]</font>
Devlor
Regular Poster

Postby FrustratedPilot on Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:28 pm

1) Who's going to stop <i>Alisin</i>?

2) I suppose all the votes are in. Stu is definitely going to be dismissed from the Skiffies. The only question is in how many pieces...
FrustratedPilot
Regular Poster

Postby KLCtheBookWorm on Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:44 pm

I'm not asking for much. Just one good punch. At this point I don't care who throws it as long as Stu is knocked flat on his butt.
KLCtheBookWorm
Regular Poster

Postby My name is Kenny on Thu Mar 28, 2002 7:50 pm

I don't even really think Stu was trying to help Shanna's mom as much as was taking advantage of the opportunity to throw a knife at someone and not get in trouble.
My name is Kenny
Regular Poster

Postby RalphP on Thu Mar 28, 2002 8:15 pm

On 2002-03-28 19:28, devlor wrote:
I don't want him dead, I'm just chronicly prone to hyperbole.

I doubt that Stu is doing this on purpose to control Rikk; he might be intellegent enough, but he doesn't seem devious enough (distracting Guth to knock him down seems to be the extend of that charcateristic in him). That's what has me so angry, though; he honestly believes what he is saying is true, and that Rikk would feel that way :mad:

I have to complement the General though: she seems to be playing events quite well (damn).

No - I didn't mean it was DELIBERATE. But, letting someone else make you angry DOES give them control over you, even if they're not conciously TRYING to control you ...

And, yes, I do agree that this is probably what Stu thinks most men would think. Me? I'd pass on the "poontang" and look for the "ball and chain" - as in looking for a soulmate that I could be with and that I could love and that would love me. Strangely enough, I found her. (The *ahem* other bennies are just niceties, in addition ... )

RwP
RalphP

Postby Bushipunk on Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:21 pm

On 2002-03-28 19:28, FrustratedPilot wrote:
1) Who's going to stop <i>Alisin</i>?

DISCLAIMER: I'm a Rikk/Alisin 'shipper, I really am. It probably won't sound like it in this post, though.

Alisin actually strikes me as the member of the group least likely to be offended by such a statement... It isn't like she hasn't been in relationships like that herself before. The fact that he's implying it about her common law husband probably won't bother her too much because I suspect at least some part of her has always viewed her four year lifespan as a sort of escape clause, and that part of her probably assumes some part of Rikk must as well. As far as Stu's callousness about her impending possible death goes, I don't know how she'd react to that. She's been pretty callous herself about it until recently.

Hey... Four year lifespan... Shades of Bladerunner. I never noticed that before...

2) I suppose all the votes are in. Stu is definitely going to be dismissed from the Skiffies. The only question is in how many pieces...

I'm voting for one. I'd like to see Stu lead a long, productive life in the ever-growing American fast-food industry.

Bushi
Life can be seen like chess, or pinball. In chess you try to win, thus ending the game, as quickly as possible. In pinball, the goal is to keep playing.

I like chess, but I'd rather play pinball.
Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Postby Doublespeak on Thu Mar 28, 2002 9:37 pm

So Tim explained Alisin and Rikk's situation off screen right?

That is the only part that was confusing.
Doublespeak
Regular Poster

Postby Maritza_Campos on Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:11 pm

OooooOOoh. That's not nice.

Cmon Rikk! Make him your bitch!

Maritza
CRFH.net
Maritza_Campos
Regular Poster

Postby Wilbur_whately on Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:23 pm

I dunno, it just seems to me like no one would be stupid enough to just say something like that unless they had some kind of disorder. However, my question is, where is that professor while this is happening?
Wilbur_whately

Postby Zippthorn on Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:31 pm

This page . . . it's so great. Definitely should make it into a top 10 sometime.

The first panel, Harry's and Meighan's expressions: Harry's of disbelief, Meg's of puzzlement . . . I can almost read her thought-bubble: "What's goin' on?"

Then she recovers and reveals that VE has been effective. I guess not all of their stupid secrets were boring . . .

Panel 4: I don't think I've ever seen Tim (or anyone) so dismissive. And when *Tim* finds you disturbing . . .

Rumy's reaction is to Stu's oral insertion of both feet is perfect. Hee hee hee hee.

The only thing that I find disappointing is Will grabbing Rikk's arm. We *want* to see someone stick it to Stu! Grr . . .

The General seems to be particularly interested in Rikk's reaction to Stu's insensitive remarks. Hmm . . . she's waiting for the fans to divide themselves. How devious!

Zippthorn
--
I don't want genital herpes to interfere with *my* social life.<P><A HREF="http://delinquents.keenspace.com/d/20010703.html" TARGET=_blank>Bitches 'n hoes, bitches 'n hoes</A><P><A HREF="http://sinner.keenspace.com/" TARGET=_blank>SINNER (Coming so
Zippthorn
Regular Poster

Postby J. on Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:41 pm

Wow, Maritza's getting into it!

Somehow I find it immensely satisfying that the authors of my two favorite strips are fans of each other's work. Ah, simple pleasures.

Now if only T would give us some more simple pleasure by having someone give Stu the BIG BEAT DOWN!!!

Although a beating would be too easy. What Stu needs is some poetic justice...
"We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time."
-- T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets
J.
Regular Poster

Postby Ray Radlein on Thu Mar 28, 2002 10:49 pm

On 2002-03-28 22:23, wilbur_whately wrote:
However, my question is, where is that professor while this is happening?

Leisure Suit Timelord is still sitting in the back seat of Meighan's car, strangely uninterested in joining the festivities that he was so eager to get to.

More to the point, he's probably just outside the area of effect of whatever it is that the General is about to do. And by fading into the background like he is, he may have evaded the General's notice as well.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Strom Thurmond Congress wagh'nagl fhtagn.
Ray Radlein
Regular Poster

Postby Tom the Fanboy on Thu Mar 28, 2002 11:22 pm

The way Will stopped Rikk is verrrry similar to the way Rikk stopped Will's machete back in The Most Dangerous Game. Will realizes that by turnng on Stu Rikk will be destroying so many of the values he's tried to instill in the club. I think it's good to see.

As much as I hate defending Stu I don't think he's trying to be offensive. He is just painfully blunt and ignorant of higher social functions. He just simply doesn't understand what the big deal is with people like the Fans, no one ever explained such things to him.

Raiden pointed out to me once that my "Evil Hillbilly" character was very similar to Stu and perhaps that is why I come to his defense so often. Like Stu, Roy Lebowski was a simple man that managed to argue some intelligent and well schooled characters to a stalemate with pure defiant ignorance. In his case it was non-humans, or as he called them "critters". This was in a Rifts game (for those of you familiar) so such creatures were easy to find. To Roy they were simply not actual beings, they were animals to be hunted, enslaved, or eaten as a cow or horse or bear would be. HumanOID critters such as Elves and Dwarves and other sentient beings merely "acted like people". Parrots can talk and monkeys can do sign language, why shouldn't an alien speak perfect English and read and so forth? They're just a different type of critter.
But it don't make 'em human.

OK, I slipped into character there but I think I made my point. Being violently ignorant like Stu can get someone pretty darn far in the world, especially with so many non-confrontational or similarly minded people out there. I think Stu is a great kind of mundane for the group. The kind that doesn't think there reall IS a line between fan and mundane.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman
Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Postby Shatteredtower on Fri Mar 29, 2002 1:28 am

"Almost there..."

If I recall correctly, that's followed shortly thereafter by the line, "Negative, negative - didn't go in. Just impacted on the surface."

Not that that means anything.

Look at Stu's expression. Tell me that that man is not aware that he's pushing people's buttons.

Now, if you're Katherine, would you bother wondering why he does it? It is possible that the General considers him a catalyst of sorts, the one who will enable the changes she seeks.

Here's a funny thought. Katherine is inclined to boot Stu, even if he did attempt to make himself useful at the sanitarium. Rikk is now inclined to get rid of him. And Jackie is confident of Will's support.

But I'm not confident that any of them will move to dismiss him. Rikk's ideals may prohibit him from doing so. But if they don't, I suspect that Will will come down on the opposite side of the argument in this one.

Why? Because Will seems to know better ways to shut Stu down. In my limited experience with groups, you generally have less trouble with former members who quit than ones who were drummed out. Will beat Stu's game - and both Guth nor Rikk have lost. At best, Tim has scored a draw.

Also, if you wanted to free yourself of Jackie's presence (for whatever reasons), can you think of an easier means to get her to leave than Stu? The right kind of wrong kind of company can be useful, at times.
Shatteredtower
Regular Poster

Postby Vitriol on Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:38 am

I don't think that Stu is doing this knowingly to push buttons, just that he honestly believes that most people think in this way. The General should provide an excellent demonstration of why he should respect both sexes.

Alternatively, Rumy could kick his ass pretty easily, despite being female and about half his size. That would cut him down to size, for a while, anyway.
Vitriol
Regular Poster

Postby Shatteredtower on Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:36 am

On 2002-03-29 03:38, Vitriol wrote:
I don't think that Stu is doing this knowingly to push buttons, just that he honestly believes that most people think in this way.

I can't agree. He is watching the others for their reactions, judging from the look in his eyes. There is no assumption on that face. The panel with him and Tim, sure - but not his follow-up comments.

Heck, that last panel of his screams "set-up" between the look on his face and the fact that he just happens to have turned his head away from Rikk when the punch is coming.
Shatteredtower
Regular Poster

Postby Aris Katsaris on Fri Mar 29, 2002 4:41 am

<g> I'd have also liked if Rikk had had the time to get Stu bleeding before Will stopped him...

What's going on will probably be interrupted by The General - but if it *weren't* for her Rikk would, I believe, immediately call for the vote to ban him.
Will, Rikk, Rumy, Guth and Jackie would definitely vote that, Meighan also probably, so the only problem would be if Kath vetoed the decision... Do you think she would, just because the guy threw that knife?

As a sidenote, I'm not certain I understand what Jackie and Guth are thanking Kath for...
Aris Katsaris
Regular Poster

Next

Return to FANS!