Star Trek Enterprised episode 3/27/02, rant

Postby Catz Bartlett on Sun Mar 31, 2002 10:19 pm

YAY PUNS!! PIERS ANTHONY AND XANTH FOREVER!!!!

This has been a very short Raven Rant.
Catz Bartlett, CI
Order of the Knights of Jubal<P>"Hello, Sydney..." "Hey, Scream-guy, this's Clarice. Wrong movie, doofus."
Catz Bartlett
Regular Poster

Postby Doublespeak on Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:36 am

I like Star Trek: The Next Generation a lot, but all the movies, to me, are mediocre 2-part episodes. According to the shooting script, the next one isn't going to be any better.

I loved the OS movies though. They even had continuity. It was like watching a stretched out mini-series.
Doublespeak
Regular Poster

Postby Strangeone on Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:37 am

Defining a film by its script alone isn't a very good approach.
Strangeone
Regular Poster

Postby Doublespeak on Mon Apr 01, 2002 8:51 am

Oh well of course not, I will still give it a chance.

It just doesn't look promising in the lest.
Doublespeak
Regular Poster

Postby LordNicodareus on Mon Apr 01, 2002 12:45 pm

I agree with Doublespeak, as in all of the TNG movies are just extended episodes (and don't get me wrong, a new TNG episode is great) and I havent heard much aboot the new TNG movie. Im gonna watch it regardless, as I am going to watch EP. II and III regardless of whether they suck or not. Anyhoo, I still blame Rick Berman for all of this, an will continue to do so until the pry the keyboard from my cold, dead fingers...
LordNicodareus
Regular Poster

Postby Maccabee on Mon Apr 01, 2002 2:21 pm

The historical examples I'd studied (e.g. British officers in colonial or former colonial armies) read as if those officers held commissioned ranks in the armies in question (as with General Glubb in the Jordanian Legion). I don't remember the Romulan officer on DS9 actually being in the chain of command and issuing orders, though my viewing was spotty by then and I might just not have seen examples.

I will provisionally accept your other examples.

Re: ants.

Yes. Ants. Bees. Termites. That's my point -- by making the Borg any kind of hive insect you're taking away their essential alienness, the thing that made them truly frightening.

As for the queen, she behaved as if she had a sense of self. She was also a highly sensual being -- a typical scenery chewing villain. This is frightening, less imaginitive, and less thought-provoking than a species which really had given up individual identity. We've seen villains like the Borg queen before. Often.

Trek used to be a mix of pulp and challenging new ideas. For years now it's just been pulp. That's not enough, not from a show that used to mean something.

Maccabee, spurned lover
Risus est telum ultimum contra tyrranidem. Nullus dictator exercitibus totiis ridiculem vulgi longe resistere potest.
Maccabee
Regular Poster

Postby Ray Radlein on Mon Apr 01, 2002 11:33 pm

On 2002-04-01 14:21, Maccabee wrote:
I don't remember the Romulan officer on DS9 actually being in the chain of command and issuing orders, though my viewing was spotty by then and I might just not have seen examples.

I will provisionally accept your other examples.

Actually, you are right about the Romulan; she was not, herself, in the chain of command (at least, not as far as they ever showed). The recollection of a Romulan serving on board the Defiant was just so mind-boggling that I forgot that other pesky little detail of my desired example. :grin:

On the other hand, on those occasions when Worf served on Klingon ships (such as the one commanded by General Martok), he clearly was part of the chain of command (in fact, he was Martok's XO).
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Strom Thurmond Congress wagh'nagl fhtagn.
Ray Radlein
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to FANS!