The effects better not be permanent...

KingLeon
Regular Poster

Post by KingLeon »

Gah! Having roleplaying personas eaten right out of your head! This freeformer takes pity on Will and hopes the effects aren't permanent... Imagine Will without some of his roles...

I guess Rumy's thoughts must end up being too appealing for the thing...

FrustratedPilot
Regular Poster

Post by FrustratedPilot »

"So what do you do with the Mobius after you've stripped?" :smile:

End of a Tim Mitts moment, back to regular programming...

Silversmoke
Regular Poster

Post by Silversmoke »

i think its more along the lines of rumi's continual thoughts are too appealing for the thing... i think thats a moebius strip.. she may be using her universal translating skills to explain to the thing that will has a limited amount of role playing personalities, but she's an artist, she's got a million thoughts living and dying every second...

You can't beat an everlasting gobstopper....

wait.. maybe shady dr. why guy is actually willy wonka!

And maybe he's the one talking...

And maybe.. just maybe.. i need sleep..
Ariana O'Day -- <A HREF="http://silversmoke.net" TARGET=_blank>Silver Smoke Artistry</a>

Catz Bartlett
Regular Poster

Post by Catz Bartlett »

Brainio looked SCARED of that Moebius strip...

Maybe Rumy has worked out the rudiments of mind-to-mind *combat*? Gotta be a cool thing if she has...^_^
Catz Bartlett, CI
Order of the Knights of Jubal<P>"Hello, Sydney..." "Hey, Scream-guy, this's Clarice. Wrong movie, doofus."

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Post by Tom the Fanboy »

My first thought was the General or an Espin (perhaps Tim the Fanboy after all!). The moebius reminded me too much of the ones around the general's ship.

I think someone used a whole post to point out that there was a double moebius around it. I think that person did so on purpose and knows too much.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman

Hysteria
Regular Poster

Post by Hysteria »

Here's my theory on the rainbow "mobius strip"

Clue 1--Brainio was scared of it. Given the circumstances, it's probably not a human. He'd be way too arrogant to assume he could be beaten by a human, and if he was, he'd almost have to spout off something like "No! I, Brainio, cannot be beaten...by a mere speck like yourself!" ^_^

Clue 2--The only things I've seen that communicated in a similar manner were...the Xenochiclets! So I'm wondering if this mysterious off-panel character is in fact one of the xenochiclets, or, better yet, Rumi's child!

Well, we'll find out tomorrow...

Chris

Czhorat
Regular Poster

Post by Czhorat »

I think it'd almost make for a more interesting story if it were permanent. If so, it would force Will to redefine himself as something other than a costumer and roleplayer. Would he be able to keep his connection with the other Fans? Could he find other creative outlets? Would Tim, Rikk, and the other Tim feel guilty about not being the ones hurt?

In some ways just "fixing" Will would feel like a cop-out. T's hinted that this'll be a scary storyline in which the group is really tested - and doesn't survive unscathed. I wouldn't be surprised if Will did permamently lose a little something.

Maccabee
Regular Poster

Post by Maccabee »

And Q'ikkit is the first to die!

But not the last.

<insert Nagha's laughter here>

Maccabee
Risus est telum ultimum contra tyrranidem. Nullus dictator exercitibus totiis ridiculem vulgi longe resistere potest.

Nullset
Regular Poster

Post by Nullset »

My vote is for Rumi. Artist, xenochicklet lover, and always more powerful in a pinch than anyone gives her credit for day to day; she's the one who could stump Brainio the longest.

Dr Y has a part to play, but it won't be just yet, especially since he's on his way with Meighan to pick up Alisin, first. Besides, the Dr never saves the day until the last minute! And T has a thing for not letting the things we're fans of save the day at all. That's the skify's job.

Will will likely lose all the personas that Brainio "ate", but since it's taking its time to savor them one at a time, Will likely won't lose his ability to roleplay all together. He'll just have to develop new characters.

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Post by Tom the Fanboy »

Odd, everyone's worried about Wil's various personas but no one seems concerned about the poor idiots in the Computer lab. will doesn't know how to play a Clingon? Big whoop! We're spoon feeding Guth and Jackie's gone fetal!

Seriously though I do think that this may be permanent damage. I mean that it won't come back on its own, it may be able to be fixed, perhaps by taking the thoughts BACK from Branio. Hey, what if you swapped Branio's mind with someone elses? The machine in Thrown Switch could put rikk in Branio's form and Branio in his, then Rikk might be able to repair the damage.

Oh, and what character was Branio savoring after Q'ikkit? Did he play an incarnation of Liberty sometime? Or did he do some reenacting?
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman

Khavren
Regular Poster

Post by Khavren »

I think he was doing Les Misarables (or however you spell that play)

J.
Regular Poster

Post by J. »

I didn't think that image was part of Will's roleplaying persona. I actually thought it was a visual representation of Will's attitude towards women, somewhat alluded to in this strip:
http://www.faans.com/d/20000502.html

There's a certain male mindset that's directly responsible for the portrayal of Muses, Justice, Liberty, and similar figures as female... and Will is a serious subscriber to that way of thought. Seemed natural to me to use a famous image of Lady Liberty to show what's in Will's mind.

I agree with Tom, if we're worried about Will, we should be peeing our pants about Guth and Jackie. Personally, I'm curious about what Guth told Kath over the phone - he must be coherent enough to give her a location... probably not much else.

By the way, as far as Tim's "seizure" is concerned, hearken back to this:
http://www.faans.com/d/20010205.html

So he's had this problem before. More interesting to me, though, is the fact that he listens to Tori Amos. Yeah baby!!! Nice little hint at Tim's sensitive side. I like him even more now.

And know the place for the first time."
-- T.S. Eliot, Four Quartets

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: J. on 2002-03-25 12:41 ]</font>

SteveB
Regular Poster

Post by SteveB »

Of course, if Will dies it won't matter much that the brain ate his roles.

Steve Bolhafner

Catz Bartlett
Regular Poster

Post by Catz Bartlett »

OH...MY...GOD.

I actually guessed RIGHT! The end is upon us!! Seas of fire! Blood! Boils! Earthquakes! RICHARD SIMMONS MOVIEEEEEEEEEEES!!!
Catz Bartlett, CI
Order of the Knights of Jubal<P>"Hello, Sydney..." "Hey, Scream-guy, this's Clarice. Wrong movie, doofus."

Bushipunk
Regular Poster

Post by Bushipunk »

On 2002-03-25 08:15, Maccabee wrote:
And Q'ikkit is the first to die!

But not the last.

<insert Nagha's laughter here>

Maccabee
Wait a minute! T said at least one character was going to die, right? Did he actually make it clear he meant the characters in strip, from our perspective, and not Will's characters?

I wonder, will Will insist on funerals or a wake for his lost characters? For him, this must be like losing children is for people who like children.

Bushi

(Edit: Shouldn't type while I'm eating...)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Bushipunk on 2002-03-25 20:35 ]</font>

Wilbur_whately

Post by Wilbur_whately »

I had kind of a strange idea. You know how several times the strip has aluded to Will's father being some kind of monster (metaphoriaclly, as I guess one must specify when things like giant brains are flying around), and that Will is afraid that some of his father's savagery is in him? Yet other than an illusion of Will's father screaming at him, we've never really seen it. What I wondered is that, what if, having all of his character's stipped away like that, that part of his personality gets exposed? Maybe the death thing is caused by Will's violent side, unleashed by the shock of these events?