And the Icy Finger of Death Points To...

MatteoDL
Regular Poster

Post by MatteoDL »

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MatteoDL on 2002-03-18 14:10 ]</font>

MatteoDL
Regular Poster

Post by MatteoDL »

On 2002-03-17 11:58, J. wrote:
Remember, T said (twice) that "AT LEAST" one member of the club won't survive this storyline.
Ok. Let's have a crack at this
"Nogrodising" thing.

Hypothesis 1:

This storyline will end a hundred years in the future. Of course all the fans will be dead! Well, except Harry. It's obvious he's a robot.

Hypothesis 2:
Alisin will die, but he will still be on earth as a spirit, where she will have to make up for her dissolute life with good actions. Imagine her seeing Rick and Rumy slowly getting together and not being allowed to interfere ...

Hypothesis 3:
Alisin will die, Rikk will be free again.
But here comes Rumi from the other timeline,
snatching him away from Rumy.
Can you imagine a Rikk/Rumi/Rumy triangle
(with Rumy losing in the end, of course)?
Now *that's* sadistic...

Oh, Tim Mitts will die too. But no problem,
they have a backup of his mind in what's left of the mind-switching device...

SKJAM!

Post by SKJAM! »

On 2002-03-18 09:17, Judy wrote:
As for the "what type of seisure, Tim?" question, just what do you mean? Do you want him to identify it as a "petit mal" or "grand mal"? /quote

One can always break them down by etiology: metabolic (e.g. hepatic encephalopathy) vs. structural lesion (e.g. brain tumor) vs. idiopathic (e.g. epilepsy). Not that anyone could tell without a pertinent clinical history, a serum chemistry panel, and a CT scan.

Judy
This is what I was thinking of, since they have different effects on Tim's chances of long-term survival. Is it a temporary effect of the brainsucker, or a previously unrevealed illness?

Morbidly,
SKJAM!

RebLaw
Regular Poster

Post by RebLaw »

All I can say isthat "Times of War" is intended to be the second book, most of the archieves are in the first book, so it might be a while 'til the "death" happens (like how long it'd take alisin to die w/o fbi intervention) knowing how most good books are, it might be towards the end of the book, which'll make the wait probably a yr or so... I dunno tho...

I still think that it's rumy for the reasons stated on the first page...

here's my full anlisys...

Alisin: will die only if the death won't happen for a long time,it'll probably be of er deasese...

Clara: might just be it honestly folks, she's old, she's already had one maraculus recovery, we don't know of any complications that could arse...

Guther: not that likely, I mean, he plays a minor role, his character's just starting to develop, besides he doesn't have any "conditions" and isn't combat orientated

Harry: another possibility, like Clara, he's pretty fair game 'cuz he's old. he's a new character so it's not too likely...

Jackie: nah, she keeps to herself, she's going to become a more developed character as time passes, if she was still hanging onto will I could see it (since the whole forbidden love thing, some writers like to resolve it with tradgity)

Katherine: no reason to kill her, her character is developed, she's leaving, I doubt she'd get herself involved in the front line,I mean, she's planning on leaving soon enough...

Meighan: meighan meighan meighan... newest member, a lesbian, and a business major who says she doesn't want to be too involved with the club... the only thing I can see happening to her character is it either being more developed, or doing what happens to a lot of new faces, they fad away after time...

Rikk: I'll eat my dinning room table if T kills off the star!

Rumi: she's most likely imho... just because I've seen her character just get more andmore self distructive... she'shonestly turning more dark than alisin is with the whole depression thing... she's been trying to get over rikk, yet every month or so she's mopping abbout how beautiful he is or making a sad puppy dog face after he's nice to her... and she went out partying during "new faces"and just let alisin drag her off, i honestly think she might be just suffering through her life. as much as i love her character, I think that her character might choose to sacrifice herself for something she believes in (like her promise to do anything to help save alisin)

Shanna: I honestly think she's probably just going to be transfered away sometime, her character isn't one that'll get killed. Shanna's too cowardly, too caution to ever get herself in the situation where she'd be in danger...

Stu: he's a new character and addresses a new type of fan, why kill him?

Tim: There's still so much of his character to develop, not that stu couldn't take over his role of resident pervert

Tim the Fanboy: no point in killing him...

Will: only if T had played up the "forbidden love" thing... I could see will ending up dying for her if t had done that, but now him dying would be rather senseless

reblaw

KingLeon
Regular Poster

Post by KingLeon »

Of course, from a realist's point of view, killing of a new, well-rounded character would make sense.
It's like killing Private Jimmy just after he joins the squad. Everyone suddenly realizes they never knew that MUCH about him/her, they aren't really even mourning his/her death, and they all feel guilt that they got him/her into this whole mess, that they really weren't a part of. If Jackie dies, Will AND Rikk would have extreme problems on that guilt thing, but for different reasons. Will introduced her to the club, Rikk is the president and he feels responsible.

RebLaw
Regular Poster

Post by RebLaw »

That wouldn't effectively develope either rikk or will imho... besides, there would be no logic behind her death... T'd have to do a lot more set up before it'd be reasonable

rl

J.
Regular Poster

Post by J. »

Since when do stories (or Death for that matter) obey logic? Any member of the club could go, and it needn't make the slightest bit of sense. Don't we put ourselves in the story every time we read? Aren't we affected by the joys and sorrows of the characters? Any death would hurt them and us, and to be colder about it, any death would be a powerful catalyst for future stories. Doesn't matter if it's a star or a new face. The only characters that are more likely to be exempt are those with lingering mysteries that beg to come to light - such as Will's relationship with his father and their respective criminal records.

"If you're so smart, Alaska-boy, who's YOUR pick?" Fair question. Who's the one fan we've seen who actually DID die? At least, his alternate self... I think Rikk is the most likely candidate - think of how powerful his death would be. It could open up so many new avenues - drive Will and Jackie OR Shanna closer together or further apart, force Kath to retake the reins of power, bring Tim, Guth, Fanboy, or even Harry to the fore. It might cause Alisin to truly change her ways - even to the point of becoming the group's new spiritual leader. I don't even want to speculate what it could do to Rumy.

One last note, to T Campbell: I sincerely beg you to spare Tim! He has by far and away the best dialogue of any of the characters. Every single line he speaks in "Out There" makes me laugh aloud. He's more than comic relief, though - he's integral to the structure of Skiffy. I can imagine the club without Rikk, carrying on in his name... but not Tim. It'd be too, too dark.

Vitriol
Regular Poster

Post by Vitriol »

Huzzah! Another member of the Save-Tim fanclub!

Hell, why not go the whole hog. Tim for Club President! (he was club VP at one point, so it's not that far-fetched...)

ZOMBIE USER 3167

Post by ZOMBIE USER 3167 »

::crosses fingers::
Anyone but Tim, anyone but Tim, anyone but Tim.

RebLaw
Regular Poster

Post by RebLaw »

uhhh tim's anice guy....

and in stories, especially well written ones, death always has some meaning, there's a rhyme and a reason to it (well not irl but in make believe land)

RebLaw

Shrimp the Wimp

Post by Shrimp the Wimp »

This is my first post, and as such, I think I should use its first few lines to..uh..introduce myself. I've just recently finished reading ALL of Fans. Wow. I think I'm hooked.

Tim:
I'm happy to see that so many others consider Tim Mitts to be as valuable as I do.

Besides his structual importance in the emotional balance of the story, Tim has a lot of untapped potential.

And anyway, he's my favorite character! *sniff*. He reminds me of my best friend in high school.

Guth:
And Guth..please, don't kill Guthy. I always identify with the small, quiet characters. But this is just a personal reason.

I don't see how the story would suffer as a whole if he died. And, as much as I hate to say it, Guth's death would be a great catalyst for development of Tim's character. After all, Guth is Tim's best friend.
Shrimp the Wimp
"Only dead shrimp go with the flow."

Maccabee
Regular Poster

Post by Maccabee »

Welcome to the boards, Shrimp. We're a pretty laid-back group, all in all. Just avoid flames and keep posts at least vaguely related to fandom, and all should be shiny and happy.

Maccabee
Risus est telum ultimum contra tyrranidem. Nullus dictator exercitibus totiis ridiculem vulgi longe resistere potest.

FlyingFish
Regular Poster

Post by FlyingFish »

I think any of us could apply "No, I don't want to see ____ get killed!" to just about EVERY Skiffy member. (With the possible exception of Stu.)

It isn't a question of which we would miss least, in my opinion. It's a matter of whose sacrifice would have the most dramatic effect without actually destroying all chances of the storyline continuing. Right now, they're all fair game.

Shrimp the Wimp

Post by Shrimp the Wimp »

Thanks for the welcome.

Yes, it is true that just about any character would be a shame to lose. I bet even Stu has his fans "Please don't kill Stu, I love to hate him!"

Well, whatever the result of this story is, I'm sure it'll be very interesting.
Shrimp the Wimp
"Only dead shrimp go with the flow."

WildMartin
Regular Poster

Post by WildMartin »

I've been mulling over all the possibilities of who is most likely to die and I'm tired of dwelling on it. I've deceided to "pull a Rikk" and refuse to accept that anyone will "die on my watch." With that said, I'm going to just keep on reading and take it one day at a time.

Tom the Fanboy
Cartoon Hero

Post by Tom the Fanboy »

OK, I'm back to this thread with a new idea.

After reading all of this I agree that whenever this person dies it will most likely be far into the storyline.

One of the reasons I think T let this slip in the first place is to bask in the glow of this thread nad reap the glamour.....to much Changeling...

Anyway, my new outlook is this.
Which cast member will hurt Rumy the most by dying?
I think that this is T's real decision maker for anything in the comic. "How can I make Rumy suffer?"
Whenever this death happens it will affect Rumy more than any of the others. Rikk is obviously the first name that comes to mind and I get a perverse glee when I imagine the bright shining hero getting struck down in book 2. Like the brave Roy Fokker.....*sniff*

Another way to hurt Rumy is more drawn out, and therefore more attractive to T. Kill Alisin. Not with her disease that Rikk has come to terms with and is ready for, but with the corpse of a giant floating brain as it crashes down to Earth. If Rikk is somehow responsible for Alisin's death then it could transform him into either a depressed never-love-again type or turn him into a hardened cynical mockery of himself out to show that "No-one focks wit da Skiffies!"* Either route will hurt Rumy. The first will make her sad because since her love will never find true happiness, especially through her, neither can she. The second will make her depressed and constantly reminisce about how he used to be and how maybe Alisin wasn't so bad after all, more guilt for Rumy because of how she didn't like them!!!
Whatever happens, in the long run it is meant to hurt Rumy, it all comes back to her.
T's just that kind of sick bastard.

*to be said in the tone of Jesus from the Big Lebowski.
Tom the Fanboy
Enthusiasm over Accuracy!

"You should totally put that in your signature Tom. You drain 1d10 investigators per round." -Dustman

SKJAM!

Post by SKJAM! »

Well, it looks like Shanna's chances of dying have dropped considerably. After all, she can't write the book if she's dead.

From what the General said, she's going to engage in some military-style utilitarianism. In other words, "some sacrifices must be made for the good of the greater number." And that monologue suggests that the sacrifice will be someone important to Katherine.

For what it's worth,
SKJAM!

Moe

Post by Moe »

Maybe this should be looked at from the other side: who do we know _won't_ be killed, because of existing clues?

After all, there's a funky Time Travel / Alternate Universe riff going on, here: figure out the rules, and we can at least work out who's safe. The most obvious one is, actually, Shanna: after all, absent the General's interference, she's going to write a book about what's about to happen. Presuming that the General's not trying to stop the book from being written*, this would mean that at least one character is going to have powerful, subtle defenses.

Oh, yeah, this also means that there'll be some sort of publishing industry in 2242. It's too much to hope for that anything of Disney's will be in the public domain then, I suppose.

Moe

*Although 'healing' Shanna's mom might be a particularly subtle adjustment of the timestream. It all depends on what the book's effects were on humanity...

KingLeon
Regular Poster

Post by KingLeon »

Rikk couldn't possibly become like that if Alisin died and it was his fault.
He has two philosophies on death, one is that he knows he can't handle it, and thus wishes to avoid it an any responsibility.
The other is one that started when he married Alisin and grew to fruitation with Clara living. People don't have to die, you can change things and make sure it never happens. If Alisin was to die and it was his fault... He would revert to his first philosophy, and go totally introvert, leaving the group and trying to stay away from death at all costs...

Brian in Japan
Regular Poster

Post by Brian in Japan »

Well, two thoughts occur; (And I hope T is ignoring all of this and just telling us the story in his head)

T is setting up Alisin as the obvious choice more with every appearance. The whole getting off the deathbed and putting on the armour one last time thing being the latest example. Conventions are conventions because they have power and they work. It will either be for maximum dramatic impact--
or the biggest possible psych-out.

And;

It is rare, but not unprecedented, to kill off the central lead character. Think Alpha Flight #12 (first series--I think they tried a second run at some point),

"And one will surely die."

When you put your entire team in cross-hairs, the only possible surprise is to off the one "unkillable" character. Whether John Byrne's ploy was a good one in the long run is open to debate, of course, but it did make for some very interesting stories.

Perhaps the general has returned a la Terminator to finish the one person who could stop the future. Or create one. If you want to cripple the fans, for some reason, who else?

And before we get too boo-hoo-y, with time travel on the table anything is possible, including the reversal of past events.

Anything Goes, no?