Fletcher's Cave Critiques!

Postby Fletcherscave on Wed Mar 14, 2001 9:34 am

Hello all! Things have been pretty dead here in the forum, so I thought I might spice it up with some critiques from people who've read my strip. (Maybe this will inspire others to do the same...?) These critiques come from some folks at KSCritics, a Yahoo! group forum of cartoonists who sign on to critique others' work. So far, it's worked out great for me--I have one critique so far, and I'll post others as they arrive.<P>So, on to the next post!
Fletcherscave
Regular Poster

Postby Fletcherscave on Wed Mar 14, 2001 9:43 am

Critique #1
Generally, this is a positive review with some reservations.<P>Fletcher's Cave critique by Ralph Hayes, Jr. (the fellow who draws "Under the Lemon Tree" and "Nip & Tuck")<P>Fletcher's Cave: I hesitate to call it a "typical" College-student strip...much less "normal." Sort of an "Animal House meets Mad Magazine" atmosphere.....<P>ART: Glorious stuff. EXCELLENT. 100% professional-looking stuff... vaguely reminiscent of some of the stuff I used to see in MAD magazine. if this guy isn't making a living at art someday, there's something wrong with the universe.<P>My only gripe? His college students look about a decade older than they should be... the title character looks like he should be *sending his own kids* to college.( I think it's the abnormally large chins-- especially on the females.)<P>WRITING: Well, a lot of it is the typical frathouse humor...grossouts, innuendo, and the like. The general difference is that the humor is pushed clear over into the surreal.... the sort of humor that you usually hit on at about 3 AM after pulling an all-nighter, liberally spiced with a cruel streak a mile wide. In fact it's often so far over into the land of the strange that it loses a good bit of it's edge... leaves the reader feeling less amused and more *disturbed.* (I'll post my usual gripe about crude language, and sexual innuendo...unneccesary in any strip, if the writer's worth a tinker's damn. And this guy is.. he's got a grasp of the weird that will hopefully carry his characters past the "college years.")<P>SITE: A bit cluttered. Navigating the old strips is a bit confusing at first... especially since the artist has some of his old (2x2 square) strips in the archive right along with the remakes. Either the oldies need to be in a seperate page or removed entirely.<P>IS IT FUNNY? Answer: DEFINITELY. I laughed for ages over the "teletubby freakout" story arc. Couple of the jokes I didn't quite catch (yes, the floor is slanted, but what does that have to do with one of the characters wetting himself?) I'm afraid that too many of these strips at one sitting will leave you burnt out on the cruelty level (a kid getting crushed by a 10 ton lead weight was just too WRONG), but still, it has one mean whiplash sense of humor.<P>Conclusion: I wouldn't show it to the kids, but it is definitely well drawn, well written, and a rare unique angle on the "college kids" strip.
Fletcherscave
Regular Poster

Return to Fletcher's Cave