Is anybody here?

Is anybody here?

Postby Concubine on Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:16 pm

It's been reaaaallly quiet.
Well, I took a picture of my tattoo. As soon as the roll of film is used up, I'll develop it and scan it for y'all.
Umm... And I have mono. ...Discuss.
Geez, I can't start a very good post, can I.... I shold stop while I'm ahead... er... not incredibly behind.
"Yeah, I guess I COULD care less, but I don't want to put the effort into it." -Me
Concubine
Regular Poster

I'm not sure O_o

Postby Hostage on Thu Jun 27, 2002 9:22 pm

I'm still here :) Waitin for the next riborific installment. *ponders if Jaya gets to live or die*

Sorry bout the mono :x Just as long as the means were more fun than the ends I suppose :D
Hostage

Postby MrBusiness on Fri Jun 28, 2002 9:37 am

I'm still here as well. I actually came around hoping that the update system was just screwed and perhaps some comic-y goodness would be posted on the forum. Alas, it is not so.

As for the mono... well... guess that just sort of sucks, now doesn't it?
MrBusiness

Postby Concubine on Sun Jun 30, 2002 10:05 am

Yeah, it sucks, but I've always been pretty tired (trouble getting to sleep)... So I didn't really notice. ^_^;
"Yeah, I guess I COULD care less, but I don't want to put the effort into it." -Me
Concubine
Regular Poster

Postby FAULT on Fri Jul 05, 2002 11:49 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I just had to do it.

Anyways, I been in the frozen watselands again... But the Nice board gave me refuge, especially in the form of delcious role play threads.

... INU YASHA!!!! Sugoi ne? suki desu ne.

I eat food quite often, I like it when I do.

Wass vryone up to? I soff job hunting too. no joy.
FAULT
Regular Poster

Postby James Thorpe on Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:37 pm

FAULT wrote:Wass vryone up to? I soff job hunting too. no joy.

Yep, no joy at all. Bloody schools tell you 'stay in school, if you can't even finish school, who will want you in the workplace?' And so you stay in school, because it seems perfectly logical...

Well, EVERYONE, that's who. All opening positions are for 16 to 18 year olds, so if you didn't drop out or severely slack off past the 10th grade, you're pretty much locked out of the job market for the rest of your fuckin' life, unless you stumble across an amazing ability to operate an industrial guillotine (plenty of dangerous, complicated assembly-line/workshop jobs out there! Anyone skilled with an angle-grinder?), or you discovered some innate ability to, I dunno, be a very good book-keeper or something.

And they wonder why there's so much fuckin' unemployment...
James Thorpe
Regular Poster

Postby MrBusiness on Sat Jul 06, 2002 8:57 pm

From that post it has become obvious to me that i haven't even the slightest clue on Autralian politics.
MrBusiness

Postby James Thorpe on Sat Jul 06, 2002 9:18 pm

It's not so much politics in this case; I'm not sure there's too much the government can really do about there not being any damn jobs out there... the problem for me is that every position in every field, from brain surgery to ditch-digging, demands extensive previous experience. Therefore, I have to start somewhere. Unfortunately, I was stupid enough to stay in school and then do some TAFE; and thus, at the ripe old age of 19, I am now too old to be eligible for any junior positions which might not require previous experience. As for training? Ha, a training place actually turned me down in a letter a few days ago. A training place is saying people don't have sufficient skills and experience? What the fuck? Aren't I supposed to be training with them so that I will get these skills and this experience? I can read and write, folks, in fact I'm sharper than most of the employers advertising for positions...

Fuckin', fuckin', goddamn dumbshits. I'm gonna end up on the fuckin' streets because the fuckin' employers have a Lolita complex and the fuckin' training folks have a chronic case of snobbery...

----------

(Well, actually, I -can- get a job as a door-to-door salesman. It's one of the jobs which lurks nameless in the Careers section of the Courier Mail, ready to ensnare you when you investigate. Well I'm sorry, I'll dig graves for a living, I'll proof-read, I'll pack boxes, I'll stock shelves, I'll push a boulder up a hill, but I am NOT going to trudge door-to-door, being paid on commission. People do not like strangers at their doorstep, and they are not polite to them.)
James Thorpe
Regular Poster

Postby Concubine on Sun Jul 07, 2002 1:17 pm

Move to America! You can live under my bed until you find a job and a place to stay! :D
Concubine
Regular Poster

Postby James Thorpe on Sun Jul 07, 2002 5:09 pm

Concubine wrote:Move to America! You can live under my bed until you find a job and a place to stay! :D

Baby, I barely have enough money to cross the room, let alone the planet.
James Thorpe
Regular Poster

Postby MrBusiness on Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:20 pm

Well, this may just be me and my complete lack of understanding of things but what about trying to get a degree from a college. I mean yeah, you stayed in school but wouldn't you be accepted into more positions with a degree from some college? I mean being 19 i doubt you'd have finished college and a college would give you experience in certain fields (medical schools). Is that not as viable an option for you or am i just warped in my thinking here?
MrBusiness

Postby FAULT on Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:56 pm

Hey, you think you're old? I'm turning 21 in December.. I'll be completely screwed then. Luckily I'm one of the dumb fucks that has the blind luck of having rich parents, so even though I can't get Austudy, they can afford for me to go to UNI.
There's always a fun solution if you CAN get Austudy: get into an Arts degree, you can try stuff out and see whether you've missed any innate talents lurking in your background shadows, plus you have about 15 contact hours a week, flexibly wazoo! or summat.

If you're good with computers you can become a networking engineer, always a good meal ticket.

Hey, try getting a job at a movie theatre, you scrub toilets, but not all of the time. and you get cheap movies. I got THIS CLOSE to getting one, but I didn't make the grade. doh.

Anyways, I have spent too much time on the ol PC for now. till next I mock... farewell.

oh... and: :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
FAULT
Regular Poster

Postby James Thorpe on Fri Jul 12, 2002 1:15 am

FAULT wrote:Hey, you think you're old?

Nah, just the job market does.

I'm turning 21 in December.. I'll be completely screwed then.

Oh dear.

Luckily I'm one of the dumb fucks that has the blind luck of having rich parents, so even though I can't get Austudy, they can afford for me to go to UNI.
There's always a fun solution if you CAN get Austudy: get into an Arts degree, you can try stuff out and see whether you've missed any innate talents lurking in your background shadows, plus you have about 15 contact hours a week, flexibly wazoo! or summat.

Hrm. You're probably right. It would mean living on a shoestring, and I would be paying it off heavily for the next half-decade or so, which is why I've been loath to turn to university... but Jesus, even the fucking TRAINING organisations don't want beginners anymore, so I may as well burn a little more time in education...

Hrm... Actually, that might be worse, because anything I could feasibly graduate with would still fail to get me a job (unless the need for graphics monkeys in this disgusting fucking hick-town increases from 'zero' to 'some' over the next year) and by then, I'd be right where you are... Really, my best hopes would be to try getting a piece of paper from uni and moving to Sydney or Melbourne... but all my friends are here, and I can't drive, so fuck that for a game of soldiers.

Hey, try getting a job at a movie theatre, you scrub toilets, but not all of the time. and you get cheap movies. I got THIS CLOSE to getting one, but I didn't make the grade. doh.

Heh, I don't like -my- chances then.
James Thorpe
Regular Poster

Postby FAULT on Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:37 pm

:o

... I do have one refuge... I have friends that work, and they tell me when positions open at their workplaces, it increases the chances. seriously.

Hmmm... graphics monkey.... sounds fun. Oooh, do tech support, you only need to know one word: reboot.

I do have one advantage over you actually, I can drive, I get my opens in a year. I like being able to drive, very good.

Oh, and as for getting a theatre job, just put all the other interviewees into the trunk of a car, like Dom does ;)
FAULT
Regular Poster

Postby FAULT on Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:04 pm

Sorry to double post but:
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
:x

Muahahahahh!!!

Anyways... I finally finished the FAN ART!!!!! Only took me 7 months. NOW you see why I'm never going to do a comic strip.
(that means I mailed James with the pic...on the second try)

whhheeee I look stoned :roll:
:wink:

I m smily junky
FAULT
Regular Poster

Zap! Pow!

Postby Midnight9 on Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:48 am

Hey, gang. Good to be onboard.

This is my first ever post to a Keen board, and it's groovy. :D Ribofavin has motivated me to make a coment on something that richly deserves prase. So, let it be said that Riboflaven rocks.

I hear you on the job thing. I've put in over 200 aplicaitons in the last year for jobs that I felt I was quite cabible of doing. And I did learn a bunch of things.

Mostly, that applying for jobs (online or in response to adds in the paper) sucks. If something has a low entry level, and is a cool job, then about a bazilion people will want to do it.

So, in applying you are put in direct compatition with about a bazilion people. Bites, eh?

Only way is to get the job _before_ it's advertised.

Just my $0.02.
Midnight9

Postby Moose v3.0 on Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:37 pm

Mmmm, prescience, got to get me some of that!

My suggestion: Become a good friend of every person in you company of choice's human resources department.

If that fails, I believe the time is right to join organized crime! Think about it, mobsters are on their way back. When the economy becomes bad, the mob pulls in the big money. Remember the great depression? Well, of course you don't you weren't there OR alive. But consider how the global economy has been going down the tubes lately, it's just a matter of time before people who mumble a lot go back to kissing each other to show their intent of murder. So why not get on the gravy train now and get a nice comfy position before the rush starts! I bet you'll make a... (wait for it...) KILLING! Hahaha!
"Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
Moose v3.0

Postby FAULT on Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:05 pm

:o
Shudder*
FAULT
Regular Poster

Postby Moose v3.0 on Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:34 pm

Also, a career in the mafia is one of the few fields of work that allows you to use the word "kapeisch?" (however you spell it)

That's practically a reason in itself.
"Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
Moose v3.0

Postby James Thorpe on Sun Aug 04, 2002 5:01 am

'Capisce', although I don't think I'd be using it, I'm a silent killer.

Working on another strip... man, this one's been holding me up for about a month anna half, and there's nothing extraordinary about it... that's the whole problem, I suppose, it's mostly talking heads. Talking heads in a fair bit of trouble, granted, but still.
James Thorpe
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Riboflavin