Chronicles: The dropdown for writers

For sign-ups for genre-related dropdowns and to discuss and organise crossover events.

Chronicles: The dropdown for writers

Postby Warofwinds on Sat May 13, 2006 9:01 pm

Alright, alright, I know there are more story writers out there than me. No, not script writers--STORY. As in novel. Or short story. Creative prose or essay. This dropdown list is for comic creators who are also authors of any genre of story that deals directly or indirectly with the world and/or characters of their comic. There are some restrictions to the list, mainly that story must be free to read, though not necessarily in it's entirety. This list will not direct to any page to buy the work where it cannot be read. The story must also be updated occaisonally or be finished, and must be hosted on a site without pop-ups (such as angelfire/geocities). It must also have proper/easy navigation, and for goodness' sake MUST be spellchecked. Specific rules can be found at the bottom of this post.

To join, give me:

1) Story name
2) Genre (Mystery, Horror, Fantasy, High Fantasy, Non-Fiction, etc)
3) Story URL (remember, not profile or portfolio)
4) How it relates to a comic you help work on or have created.
5) Summary! Try to keep it down to a paragraph or two.

Please post the code to corresponding image you like somewhere on your main or links page.

1) Image

Code: Select all
<script language="javascript"
src="http://warofwinds.comicgenesis.com/scripts/chronicles1.js"> </script>

2) Image
src="http://warofwinds.comicgenesis.com/scripts/chronicles2.js"> </script>

3) Image

src="http://warofwinds.comicgenesis.com/scripts/chronicles3.js"> </script>

List Rules (these may be contested at your discretion in this post or with a PM):

a) Said story must deal with your comic in a direct or indirect way. For example, my comic first existed as a written story, and then I one day (foolishly) decided to illustrate it. However, it could be parallel story, different characters, so long as it is in the same world. This dropdown should in some way still appeal to readers of your comic by dealing with your comic.

b) Like a comic, the story must be updated at least semi-occaisionally, or be finished.

c) However much I agree it's very important to encourage new and exploring writers, some degree of craft quality control will be implemented. If you're not sure, PM me, or get some reviews from a peer/teacher/fellow writer.

d) All genres are acceptable. This list will be broken down by genre, in alphabetical order. I can't randomize if I have different sections.

e) All ratings are acceptable SO LONG AS there are warnings of ratings wherever your story is hosted. I don't want people on a PG site finding an X-rated story.

f) Fan fiction...well, so long as you've got a comic with it.

g) No angelfire/geocities/pop-up cites will be acceptable. If you need help making a page on a your site to support your writings, just ask, or post your stories at Fictionpress.net/fanfiction.net.

h) Dude, spellcheck. If you can't take the time to spellcheck, then you don't put enough effort into writing.

i) For now, English only please.

j) If you're hosting your own story, I demand proper navigation between chapters. Yes demand. Nothing worse than trying to find the next page.

k) This will not link to a portfolio of stories. It will only link to a SINGLE story, though you may freely apply for more than one entry in this list.

*l) The comic the story is somehow related to need only have a minimal archive, 10-15 pages, and needs to updating at least occaisonally.

*m) Story must be free to read.

*n) Obviously, the dropdown must be hosted either on the main page or on the links page.

o) That's a damn long list. I'm stopping now, though I reserve the right to make amendments should the need arise. Why am I being so picky, you ask? Well, I've read some of the stuff that other writers on here have posted, and there's some great material there. I want this list to have a good rep, simple as that.

(*=added/edited)

See how they look by going here: http://warofwinds.spiderforest.com/p/dropdown.htm
Last edited by Warofwinds on Wed May 17, 2006 8:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
-Kez
ImageImageImage
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero

Postby Linkara on Sun May 14, 2006 1:18 am

Question - Lightbringer takes place in the same universe as my novel series Angel Armor. The novels are actually published, so I don't really have a direct link to them other than to where they're sold. Should the story URL be to my comic's site or to, say, the Amazon.com URL where one can buy the books?

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby Warofwinds on Sun May 14, 2006 5:26 am

Firstly, congrats on getting published! That takes a lot of hard work and dedication, and damn am I envious. :lol:

Secondly, sorry, but I'm going to have to stay neither, for now at least. This dropdown list is so that stories can be read like the comics--for free. However, I don't see a reason why a list can't made for CG's elite published! If you know other people with comcs who have novels for sale who would like to join a dropdown list, start a new thread, and if you don't have the time to code the blasted thingamabob, I'll gladly do it.

Thirdly, congrats again!

EDIT: I have just now realized that I actually know 2 other people who might be interested in a published dropdown. If you are, reply or PM and I'll see if they'd like to join. Got a name you'd like?
-Kez
ImageImageImage
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero

Postby Linkara on Sun May 14, 2006 9:53 am

Nothing springs to mind for a name right away, but I'd certainly be interested in it. ^_~

Quote of the Moment: “Greetings, my friend. We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.” ~Criswell~
Linkara
Cartoon Hero

Location: Lizard-Inclined Neo Clone Republitarian Band-Aid Spokesman

Postby Escushion on Sun May 14, 2006 11:03 am

See, I wrote short stories/novels/prose/whatever, but not to do with my comic. If I felt it would work as prose, I'd have just written it in prose :P.

Good luck with your dropdown though.
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.
Escushion
Cartoon Hero

Postby GryphonSong on Sun May 14, 2006 12:58 pm

I would like to join this, but I'm not sure if I qualify. I have two full novels related to my comic, but I'm a bit leery with one of the requirements.

*m) Story must be free to read.

First off, the entirety of my novels will never be fully available online. This is due to the fact that I have had a few of my written works fully plagarized (published and sold with no credit given) in the past, and I don't want it to happen again. I'm probably being anal about it or whatnot, but I'd rather not have my story entirely free to read like that, where there is a chance for plagarizm.

(I just wanted to make note that when I first started my domain for my story a couple years ago, the entirety of it WAS available fully for free, but after I found out that my works were being stolen and published w/o permission, I've become very overly-protective of my work.)

However, PARTS of it will be free to read, and to further extend this, I'm making the story fully available....for free....for those who are willing to help me copyedit it (I can only copyedit it myself so many times!). I would love to have my work published one day soon, but I'm currently looking for five people to copyedit it. This doesn't go without pay either. ;) ;) But that's a bit aside the point.

So while there will be a nice chunk of the story available for free online, it won't ever be fully online for free read (except to those who helped copyedit it). Once it's published, of course you can buy it, but I have an uneasiness with posting it all for free.

The samples that are currently online are in a pdf format that can be saved, but not copy, cut, or pasted, or edited in anyway. I may be being a bit stingy about this, but it's just horrible to have your work taken from you and I really don't want it to happen again.

It's okay if this nullifies me from being a part of this dropdown, but either way I think this dropdown is a good idea. :)
GryphonSong

Postby Warofwinds on Sun May 14, 2006 1:24 pm

That's horrible! I've heard stories like that, and while I put all my work up online, I make sure to frequently catalog my work on dated disks, and print out manuscripts every once in a while. I should mail myself my manuscript and leave it unopened, but hmm...that would cost a lot now. But I too am quite paranoid, so I definitely understand why you wouldn't want it all up. But, if you'll read point M again, you'll see I do not state "story must be free to read in it's entirety. So long as you have ENOUGH posted, and yes, that's relative, I'd be fine with me, but it does have to update occaisonally. I just mean that you shouldn't have to pay to view the story by chapter, nor should someone interested in reading be directed to a site to buy the book from my list. Still, if you're interested, as I told Linkara I'm probably going to be making a dropdown for published works, directing to sites to buy. Right now I'm making a banner for this dropdown, and I'll get to making a proper post about a published dropdown later this week.

Here's hoping karma goes around to bite the legs off the publisher and whoever stole your stuff, GryphonSong. Painfully and with gangrene, might I add. Grrrrrrr!
-Kez
ImageImageImage
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero

Postby GryphonSong on Mon May 15, 2006 6:02 pm

Thanks for clearing that up WOW. ^_^

For my story there will always be two of the same samples available, and weekly I'm going to be changing the individual chapter samples...up to a point. After that "point" I'm afraid the going-ons in the samples will stop making sense, and it would reveal too many spoilers. ;) In all of the 250 or so pages that there are, there's probably only going to be about 30 pages of samples all together. Would that be enough?

Anyway, here is the link directly to the story samples:

http://www.gryphonsong.net/gs/story.html

I actually had plans to change the chapter sample from Part 1 to Part 2 today, but someone expressed an interest in editing the entire story, so I'm leaving the first sample up a few days longer so she can take a look at it.
GryphonSong

Postby Phact0rri on Mon May 15, 2006 7:34 pm

interesting idea for a dropdown. Hope it goes well, nothing I can add as my writing and my comics are designed for each medium, and are seperate.

Course to me the dropdown sounds a little, I dunno-- community centric. which is great, don't get me wrong. But I'd advise looking at Joel's idea for the art tutorial dropdown http://forums.comicgenesis.com/viewtopic.php?t=60693 and make it more for surfing, and people who want to read the stories can surf through the stories. As apposed to how most dropdowns work, to bring about more visitors to sites (which is the main function of dropdowns for the most part)

even making a page where a description of the stories are at so people can read them, and if they dig them, so new readers of the comic.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Warofwinds on Mon May 15, 2006 7:53 pm

phactorri wrote:even making a page where a description of the stories are at so people can read them, and if they dig them, so new readers of the comic.

That my friend, is a very good idea. I will ponder this on the morrow, when I don't type a word wrong the same three times and then finally chose a different one. *sigh*

Anyways, coming up with a name for this is ha-a-rd, because it's not genre based like most lists, and I don't want the name (if applied to the medium) to scare away people. I'm toying with the idea of calling it SAFOS, for "socially acceptable form of schizophrenia," but so far it's just that--toying. I'd like to have a bunch of names really, so that upon joining the list you could pick the one most suited to the audience you already have. Hmm.
-Kez
ImageImageImage
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Mon May 15, 2006 9:45 pm

warofwinds wrote:Anyways, coming up with a name for this is ha-a-rd, because it's not genre based like most lists, and I don't want the name (if applied to the medium) to scare away people. I'm toying with the idea of calling it SAFOS, for "socially acceptable form of schizophrenia," but so far it's just that--toying. I'd like to have a bunch of names really, so that upon joining the list you could pick the one most suited to the audience you already have. Hmm.

Well you would want the title clear enough that people know what it is. cause for example if its SAFOS.. and people hit the dropdown, they will assume (if its on the directory or a comic page) that its a webcomic list.

something like I dunno "Panels of words" or "a novel Idea" or something in that vein. Least in my point of view..
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby Warofwinds on Tue May 16, 2006 11:21 am

First post has been edited. The name is "Chronicles," unless someone comes up with something better. GryphonSong, I went ahead and added you to the list, just so I wasn't all alone on there :lol: . If you have time, I'd appreciate a summary for your story so I can put on the directory page. This of course, with the assumption you still wanna join and all :P

I'm going to go post about this on other forums now, and try to fill this baby up.
-Kez
ImageImageImage
Warofwinds
Cartoon Hero

Return to Dropdowns and Crossovers