TEO: The 28th Annual Pan-Cosmic Battle Of the Bands

For sign-ups for genre-related dropdowns and to discuss and organise crossover events.

TEO: The 28th Annual Pan-Cosmic Battle Of the Bands

Postby Ian Jay on Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:20 pm

Come on, guys! It'll be awesome!

~IJ
The greatest action/adventure sci-fi fantasy drama western alt-history political-thriller suspense musical existential comedy webcomic ever written. Like, ever.
Ian Jay
Regular Poster

Postby JTigerclaw on Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:37 pm

I'm so in this. My comic already has a band in it! :D

Yall are goin DOWN you hear me!?

...I mean... good luck.
Awesome avatar done by Nervous Spy
JTigerclaw
Cartoon Hero

Postby Escushion on Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:29 pm

Woops. Re-posted in General by accident.

I'm in! :D
A man with nothing to offer and nothing to lose.
Escushion
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tim on Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:50 pm

Hmmm....I'll have to consider this. I already imagine my characters in music videos during my daily commute; maybe now I can finally purge my brain without the use of power tools!
Alternate Delusions - Symbiotically Enhanced for Your Pleasure
A member of Comic Ostrich
Tim
Cartoon Hero

Location: Bay State, ol' Bay State, I lift my heart to you (bum bum bum)

Postby Dotty on Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:29 am

I don't have a band, but my characters shall assemble one. I don't write music, but I love Iron Maiden.

I think we have a deal.
Caught in the headlamp glare of your own blinding vanity/Mesmerised by the stare of your shallow personality
Gorging the junk food of flattery you drag your fat ego around/Everyone floored by the battering you give to whoever's around
Oh Narcissus you petulant child admiring yourself in the curve of my eyes/Oh Narcissus you angel beguiled unsated by self you do nothing but die
Dotty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jeffy on Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:21 am

I am interested, unfortunately, all the work I do in comicing needs to be directly for my comic, otherwise I'll miss an update. Too bad too, I wouldn't mind seeing some of my old (sometime to be new) characters cranking out some Clutch or Pantera.
Jeffy
Regular Poster

Postby Glarryg on Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:00 am

If I had more time, I'd love to do this. I wanted to put a band in my comic, but so far there's no place to write them in.

Glarryg
http://www.squidninja.com - Dude. Buy a shirt. Seriously.
Glarryg
Regular Poster

Postby Blackaby on Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:15 am

Oh, I wish.

And there's going to be a band in issue #4, too. GAH.
LOOK AT BLACKABY HE IS FILLED WITH TEH SCREAMY OMG
guest artists get free puppies
Blackaby
Regale her

Postby Wishmaster on Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:19 pm

I think I'm in on this. Bill and I have already been discussing some story ideas involving our characters forming a band so this is as good a time as any to try them out. What kind of ratings guidelines are we working with here? We have some ideas for band oriented gags and then racy band oriented gags.

Also, I love that it's held on an asteroid. But how does the audience get there? Indeed, what does the audience look like? Normal concert goers or lots of mutants, cyborgs, and space Vikings thrown into the mix as well?
ImageImage
Wishmaster
Regular Poster

Postby Phact0rri on Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:52 pm

I'd do this if I had a stable work computer at the moment... *meladrones in the saddness*
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby Escushion on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:01 pm

This isn't going to be part of my comics continuity, so that's clear :P.
Escushion
Cartoon Hero

Postby JTigerclaw on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:26 pm

I would be surprised if any of these comics made a trip to a random asteroid for a battle of the bands part of their continuity.

Though I will admit that would be kinda cool.
JTigerclaw
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wishmaster on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:36 pm

There is a way for me to work the concert into continuity, but it's still up in the air. On the one hand I like the idea of how neatly this fits in with several different things I have planned for Wish, but on the other I don't want to tip my hand too early as to future events in the strip. At this point I'm planning on doing a tightrope act of teasing all four of the strip's readers with future developments, but keeping things vague/weird enough to not have it impact the regular strip.
ImageImage
Wishmaster
Regular Poster

Postby 834n on Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:40 pm

Escushion wrote:This isn't going to be part of my comics continuity, so that's clear :P.

You mean Kadeo and his team of warriors aren't going to be the first post-apocalyptic singing sensation?!

Edit: This whole thing is a great idea. There is a slight chance I will make a page, but it's unlikely...
ImageImageImage
834n
Cartoon Hero

Postby Webkilla on Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:20 pm

hmm - sounds fun

of course - considering the powers of my characters, I think I'll be doing this Disaster Area style... (if you know what it is, good - cuzz I'm not explaining it to those who dont!)

just think music loud enough to cross over into what most scientists would call strategic phonon maser-type blasts.
Webkilla
Regular Poster

Postby Escushion on Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:30 pm

I think it'd be cool if some authors through a character each into a single band between them and then each one did a page of what those characters were doing, so they could have a little mini-story with that band (filled with hilarity, I'm sure :P.)
Escushion
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ian Jay on Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:37 pm

Guys, when I say "part of continuity", I mean part of Try Everything Once's continuity, not part of your continuities. You can do whatever the heck you want; just remember that your actions will be featured as part of TEO's storyline.

That being said...

wishmaster wrote:I think I'm in on this. Bill and I have already been discussing some story ideas involving our characters forming a band so this is as good a time as any to try them out. What kind of ratings guidelines are we working with here? We have some ideas for band oriented gags and then racy band oriented gags.

Also, I love that it's held on an asteroid. But how does the audience get there? Indeed, what does the audience look like? Normal concert goers or lots of mutants, cyborgs, and space Vikings thrown into the mix as well?

Good question! In TEO, space isn't cool; it's actually portrayed as kind of boring. You can put whatever you want in the comics as extras; just remember that the venue is being run by humans, and humans are going to make up a good portion of the crowd.

As for how your band gets to the asteroid (New Antwerp Trans-Tel), that's up to you. Get creative!

~IJ
The greatest action/adventure sci-fi fantasy drama western alt-history political-thriller suspense musical existential comedy webcomic ever written. Like, ever.
Ian Jay
Regular Poster

Postby Escushion on Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:11 pm

That sounds really cool, Ian.

Anyone who's definitely doing this want to collaborate with me? I think cross-comic bands could be pretty damn funny :P.
Escushion
Cartoon Hero

Postby JTigerclaw on Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:05 am

I like your idea, Escushion. :)

I could throw in a character, but it would have to be as a sort of fill-in or a band of all-stars or something, because the rest of the guys in my band would be pissed off if one of them went to a battle of the bands on a strange asteroid without them.

a sample of what the members of the band look like can be found here as well as the next page. (The drummer is probably most available to fill in. Also, the guitarist doesn't always wear a Jesus costume. Just that once :P ) :
JTigerclaw
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:28 am

enter.... THE KEENTONES!
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Next

Return to Dropdowns and Crossovers