Keenspace Haunted House Idea

For sign-ups for genre-related dropdowns and to discuss and organise crossover events.

Postby Jim North on Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:09 am

The only change I'd make to the Horror Show one is to take the "Picture" out. I think it'd make it look a little cleaner with the words more lined up with each other, and it would be a good nod to the play (The Rocky Horror Show, natch) that the movie came from.

And, well, "The Haunted Mansion of Keen" sounds and looks kind of awkward. But past that, I think they all look just great.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Pimpette on Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:03 pm

I like "Keenspooks"

And I call Reception Hall! :D
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rhellik on Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:29 pm

Have we decided on a size yet? might be good to have sorta the same image sizes, no? what do you think?
Rhellik
Regular Poster

Postby TheLoserHero on Tue Oct 12, 2004 3:36 pm

Don't ask me... I like big 600x750 pixel pages. ^_^
TheLoserHero
Regular Poster

Location: Contrary to popular belief, the correct pronunciation of Jersey is "Joisey".

Postby EmergencyExit on Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:44 pm

Pimpette wrote:I like "Keenspooks"

I second that. And I think having similar image sizes would be cool, but shouldn't limit what one can do with their room.
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Coyotzin on Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:48 pm

I like "The Keenspace Horror Picture Show", with the "picture" left in (the movie is better known than the play, and it's also a reference for our... you know... pictures :) ), although the title itself could be redistributed around the house image and perhaps with bigger fonts.

Keenspooks sounds like a good name for a dropdown.

An option (which just hit me right now...) would be "The House on Haunted Keen".
Al-X Melchor
[url=http://nahast.comicgen.com]Image
Nahast: Lands of Strife[/url]
Nahast: Chronicles of the Fifth Age
Join the KeenQuest Dropdown!
Coyotzin
Regular Poster

Postby Jim North on Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:45 pm

Though the "Picture" in RHPS stands for moving pictures, you see. Which we could do, of course, but I highly doubt most of us are going to put that much work into it. ;)

And I vote for 400x500, mysef.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Ti-Phil on Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:42 pm

I rather like the keenspook too. and for when should the picture be done, because we will soon run out of time?
The Volet

What, free publicity never harmed anyone..right?

"Bunnies just aren't dense enough. You'd have to squish them until their little bunny electrons mated with their little bunny protons." -rkolter
Ti-Phil
Héro de Dessin Animé

Postby JexKerome on Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:02 pm

Yes, the RHPS font is kinda fuzzy, specially on red (though it wouldn't do it justice on any other color). I will fiddle on it a little more. So far, we have three votes for "keenspooks" and a same amount for "KHPS". You didn't specify which one you liked, Roland. It might be there's no need to fiddle with the PS one.

I hadn't even considered an image size for the pictures. I'm cool either way, but I've found that at sizes less than 600 pixels wide text stars to get fiddly, either taking up too much space or being too small to be read correctly, which could get troublesome if someone decides the guide to be particularly verbose.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Coyotzin on Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:44 pm

Jim North wrote:Though the "Picture" in RHPS stands for moving pictures, you see. Which we could do, of course, but I highly doubt most of us are going to put that much work into it. ;)

That's the beauty of wordplays; our "pictures" stands for static art ;)
Al-X Melchor
[url=http://nahast.comicgen.com]Image
Nahast: Lands of Strife[/url]
Nahast: Chronicles of the Fifth Age
Join the KeenQuest Dropdown!
Coyotzin
Regular Poster

Postby Rhellik on Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:10 am

I like the "haunted mansion of keen" font but i'd vote on the RHPS text.
Rhellik
Regular Poster

Postby Jim North on Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:40 am

Well, pfft, if you're going to force me to pick one, then I'm afraid that I'm going to have to go with "Keenspooks". ;)
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby [geoduck] on Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:43 am

JexKerome wrote:Anyway. Four designs, though I feel something's missing:

I'd also vote for Keenspooks.

And maybe add a cupola or small tower to the mansion?
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:32 pm

Wishy-wahsiness has no place on this forum, Roland. So Keenspooks it is.

As for the cupola thing, the actual picture is larger than the one shown. In fact, I made the mistake of making it almost square. Let me show you:

I made this graphic on Draw! (vector graphics). I later added the light glows and repositioned the moon and bats with Photo Paint. You can see I chopped off the top of the picture, again 'coz I think it's too square. In the original design, the event name went in the sky between the house and the moon.

If you'd like to fiddle with the picture yourselves, here's the vector file:

http://paganserver.no-ip.org/jorge%20sutff/hallokeen.CDR

And here's the full-size bitmap, sans effects:
http://paganserver.no-ip.org/jorge%20sutff/hallokeenfull.PNG
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby [geoduck] on Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:54 pm

OK, here's my stab at it. Tried to cut out all the empty space that I could, and make it as rectangular as possible..

[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:21 am

Hey, not bad! I specially like the sickly green color on the windows, and the second tower looks good. The font's not as creepy, though. I used "singothic" from http://www.halloweenfonts.com (n9ote the "s" looks like a "5"); to add the "vapor" effect, I duplicated the text, colored it 20% gray, and then added a large glow to it (the same way you did it to the windows), also in 20% grey. Then I placed it behind the original text. Try that and let's see. Or link to the working image (.psd or .cpt file) to give it a go.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby [geoduck] on Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:44 am

I'll admit the green glow was sort of a happy accident; I was aiming for yellow, and got that instead. The font in that first pic is "Peake", for those who care about such things.

My ancient copy of Photoshop uses a different setup than what you describe, but I tried to give the letters a little more glow.

Here's Singothic:

I personally think it's a little jumbled and hard to read. If everyone likes it, that's of course cool, but I'm still going to offer up another possibility from the Halloweenfonts site called Karloff. Easier to read, and sort of ghostly-looking, which ties in better with the name:

And if anyone's got another suggestion, click here for a copy of the pic sans text.
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rhellik on Thu Oct 14, 2004 5:41 am

[geoduck] wrote:Image

SIGNED! :)

except maybe a few more light/glow/blur effects like in the orig 4 suggestions. Gives it a little misty touch.
Rhellik
Regular Poster

Postby Adaz on Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:34 am

Uhm,. hi...

Is there still time to sign for this? And if so... I understand the thing right as in it's the time to make a special Halloween art in a Haunted House room, with the guide designed by Coyotzin (Hi, Al-X! Remember me?), and post it on the... what? 30? 31? With a special link to everyone else? No plot needed?

If I got it right, I would like to join. (IF I didn't got it right, I would like to join too, if anyone tells me what I did got wrong)... And if so, are the catacombs taken?
ImageImage
Adaz
Regular Poster

Postby JexKerome on Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:24 pm

I think the catacombs are free, Adaz. And you got it: Haunted house room, ASAP since we're halfway to Halloween.

Geoduck, I liked the Karloff font best. It seems I also confused you on the mist effect. Here's how I did it:

See? I copied the text, used the dropshadow tool create a medium sized glow on the copy (all in grey), and then I just put this glowy text below the original. Here's the end result:

I vote that we make this the final design. Any objections?
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Dropdowns and Crossovers