Keenspace Haunted House Idea

For sign-ups for genre-related dropdowns and to discuss and organise crossover events.

Postby Jim North on Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:54 am

JexKerome wrote:Since I can't recall the creepshow guy Jim's referring to, I'll not submit my idea (that way I avoid falling into a clich
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:55 am

Jim North wrote:
JexKerome wrote:Since I can't recall the creepshow guy Jim's referring to, I'll not submit my idea (that way I avoid falling into a clich
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Luprand on Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:58 pm

I kinda thought it'd be funny to have a haunted house tour guide like we usually get in my hometown ... teenagers looking for a few extra bucks. So maybe a guy in a dark gray hoodie, wearing a skull mask?

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.
Luprand
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:10 pm

Jim North wrote:Image

boy he didn't age very well did he? Image
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby [geoduck] on Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:05 pm

The cryptkeeper idea is good, but maybe we could something to make him more 'cartoony'? Instead of missing a jaw, have Xs instead of eyes or something?
"gooey-duck". A clam. Not a snail.
[geoduck]
Cartoon Hero

Postby Kris X on Mon Oct 04, 2004 7:40 am

I'll give it a go.
PK Comics meets Gaming genre.
Kris X
Forum Pocket Kitten

Postby Jim North on Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:59 am

JexKerome wrote:No why did you have to go and do THAT, Jim?! Now I've got no pretext to slouch around while you guys do all the hard work!! Yeesh, some people are just so inconsiderate nyo...

I like inflicting pain and work on others for my own amusement. *whip crack* :P

BTW, where did you get that in spanish?

http://images.google.com
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby BOMC on Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:49 pm

this sounds like fun, i'm in
-Grace (BOMC)
BOMC
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:18 am

Since Jim gave me no choice, I'll force down your throat a couple of sketches. The first is my idea on the event logo. The second and third are an attempt on our tour guide. Looking at it, it seems pretty obvious to me we won't be able to agree on a specific design for him. So we should just agree on a couple of features (one more besides the missing jaw), and then let everyone render it as he/she wishes.

Feel free to borrow from here for your own ideas.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Coyotzin on Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:34 am

A hat, maybe?

Or an old-style lantern?

We could change the outfit to fit into both each of our individual styles as well as our comics' settings but keep the jawlessness and other couple of features intact, definitely.

(I thought of the guide as a Day of the Dead candy skull, but that's just to Mexican-centric ;) )
Al-X Melchor
[url=http://nahast.comicgen.com]Image
Nahast: Lands of Strife[/url]
Nahast: Chronicles of the Fifth Age
Join the KeenQuest Dropdown!
Coyotzin
Regular Poster

Postby Coyotzin on Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:14 am

Putting my pencil where my mouth is (ouch...)

Al-X Melchor
[url=http://nahast.comicgen.com]Image
Nahast: Lands of Strife[/url]
Nahast: Chronicles of the Fifth Age
Join the KeenQuest Dropdown!
Coyotzin
Regular Poster

Postby Jim North on Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:19 am

Fangs!

But, yah, we could just make a unique skull and say he can change his body/clothes whenever he moves from room to room.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Luprand on Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:31 pm

I think mine would be best suited for a kids' area or something like that ...

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.
Luprand
Cartoon Hero

Postby Carlin on Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:06 pm

Actually I am liking what Luprand or Coyotzin have going on there. It keeps in touch with the actuall humor in the comic and less horror thriller/slasher.

Now what about other characters in the house/mansion. (me thinks mansion, more plot devices) Is everyone going to be dressed normally, or in costume? And if costume should that characters creator decide on the costume, or just whoever draws him/her first? Personally I would prefer we each make a costume for out characters before hand. (less confusion) And try to make it simple enough for everyone to draw of course. (we dont want to spend a full day on one panel after all)

And how are we making this funny? There must be a plot of some sort. Is it going to be some wierd mystery involving revenge and murdure haunting the mansion? Or just a fun romp involving lots of pranks and harmless pinching?

I am thinking Luprand's guide is better suited for the fun pranks and humor, but Coyotzin or Jim's for mystery and grim, tortured past.
I am The Poster Formerly Known as Crossfire. Or PFKAC. ...has a certain ring to it, no?
Carlin
...or Crossfire

Postby Jim North on Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:13 pm

Who de wha? As far as anything had been discussed, each person was just going to draw their own room of the haunted house with the tour guide being the only common element. Where'd we suddenly get a plot from?
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:27 pm

Yeah, It's just halloween pin-ups, with the tour guide to bring them together. I think Crossfire is right, though; the guide should be goofy-looking and harmless mostly, though the fanged nemesis of Jim should fit in well with his Dark Dungeons spoof (just don't have anyone say "I shoot magic missile...at the darkness, Jim. Please.)

On a related note, we still need names. I just tought of another one, tough it's a total rip-off: The Keenspace Horror Picture Show.

And on an unrelated note, Coyotzin's sketch makes me fairly certain I'm the worst artist over at WEE; but that's okay. I know who they are and where they live nyo...
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jim North on Tue Oct 05, 2004 11:34 pm

Oh, right, names . . . I'd come up with one but forgot to put it in my last post. It's kind of silly and I betcha there's already a dropdown named this . . .

Keenspooks.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Oneeyecat on Wed Oct 06, 2004 12:46 am

Wow! I haven't been online for awhile, sorry I haven't contributed much. For what it is worth, here is my two cents:

I like JexKerome's 'Keenspace Horror Picture Show', I like the double meaning, a play on 'Rocky', and the fact it is a real picture show.

I like Coyotzin's guide, because of the toonish quality of it, although Jim North's character deserves an honorable mention!

Sorry about my comment earlier about JexKerome's font idea, I do like the idea. I have a bad habit of 'painting the devil on the wall' meaning I start worrying about negative reactions that are not there. Again I like the idea, if anybody doesn't they can speak up for themselves. I hope I'm not sounding like a flip-flopper. LOL

Like I wrote before, I have never participated much in the Keenspace Community, so my next question, who is going to host the start page?
I don't know how this is usually decided, but I suggest either the person who contributed the most (which sure isn't me) or the haunted house cartoonist with the most readership (again, which sure isn't me). LOL :lol:
Oneeyecat
A Gallery of Comics
http://agallery.keenspace.com
Oneeyecat
Regular Poster

Postby Oneeyecat on Wed Oct 06, 2004 1:07 am

I missed Luprand's picture the first time I read this forum. His guide is pretty cool. I like the cartoon look of that.

I still think I like Coyotzin's guide. I think Coyotzin's guide can be made to be spookier than Luprand's, and more toonish than Jim North's. I'm in favor of Coyotzin's guide, although I could live with any of the three guides.
Oneeyecat
A Gallery of Comics
http://agallery.keenspace.com
Oneeyecat
Regular Poster

Postby TheLoserHero on Wed Oct 06, 2004 4:11 am

...so it's not going to be scary? Aww man...

Speaking of scary, I gave blood yesterday. Oh man, that's scary, holding a pint of your own warm, crimson blood. I almost fainted.
TheLoserHero
Regular Poster

Location: Contrary to popular belief, the correct pronunciation of Jersey is "Joisey".

PreviousNext

Return to Dropdowns and Crossovers