Keenspace Haunted House Idea

For sign-ups for genre-related dropdowns and to discuss and organise crossover events.

Keenspace Haunted House Idea

Postby Oneeyecat on Thu Sep 30, 2004 3:02 pm

Hi everybody,
I was just wondering if anybody is doing anything special for Halloween this year? If not could I suggest a Haunted House, where each artist takes a spooky/Halloween scene, then link each cartoonist's scene together, so when the reader clicks through it will be like going through room to room at a Haunted House. I hope I explained that so everyone could understand it.

Like most cartoonists, Halloween is my favorite holiday. As some of you know I have a gag-a-day type comic panel. For all of October, I am running Halloween Comics.
Oneeyecat
A Gallery of Comics
http://agallery.keenspace.com
Oneeyecat
Regular Poster

Postby Pimpette on Thu Sep 30, 2004 8:21 pm

Hey cool!
That sounds like some fun, I shall volunteer my characters to build a scene.
Pimpette
Cartoon Hero

Postby Luprand on Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:11 pm

I gots werewolves, atcher service.

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.
Luprand
Cartoon Hero

Postby Coyotzin on Thu Sep 30, 2004 10:21 pm

I have spirits and a scary undead snake-person sorcerer :)
Al-X Melchor
[url=http://nahast.comicgen.com]Image
Nahast: Lands of Strife[/url]
Nahast: Chronicles of the Fifth Age
Join the KeenQuest Dropdown!
Coyotzin
Regular Poster

Postby Jim North on Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:24 pm

I could make a room hosting an RPG session straight out of Dark Dungeons. :lol:
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:59 am

Someone beat me to the post!

I was going to remind people of a similar idea, though ours was to have a strip's characters "dress up" as characters from another strip, and so on and so forth. Your idea has merit, though, as it can be far simpler to implement.

In which case I choose the mexican underworld room.
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby McDuffies on Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:13 am

That could be a new jam at "games".
McDuffies
Bob was here (Moderator)
Bob was here (Moderator)

Postby TheLoserHero on Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:08 am

I'm all for it. I <3 Halloween.
TheLoserHero
Regular Poster

Location: Contrary to popular belief, the correct pronunciation of Jersey is "Joisey".

Postby Phact0rri on Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:34 am

what could the grind employees do... frankenstein's Castle I guess would be the best idea... nothing else really screams to me. as coffee is not very scary.
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri
The Establishment (Moderator)

Postby EmergencyExit on Fri Oct 01, 2004 10:34 am

Hey, I'll join in on this! Can I call dibs on a room that looks like Halloween Town having my characters dressed as characters from Halloween Town in Nightmare Before Chirstmas? Whoo!
EmergencyExit
Regular Poster

Postby Oneeyecat on Sat Oct 02, 2004 12:34 am

Wow, the haunted house is sounding more interesting all the time. Should we have a common character going through the rooms to help tie it together? Like a lady or man being chased, trying to get out of the house, or just plain getting the shit getting scared out of them? If so, any volunteers to design them?

Also, we could use a volunteer to make a haunted house logo or/and banner. We could use a starter page too, showing a haunted house to enter. I am willing to do any or all of this, but I want to be a team player, and get as many people envolved as possible.

Except for 'Talk Like A Pirate Day', I haven't been too active in the Keenspace Community. So if it sounds like I don't know what I'm doing, you are right. So feel free to suggest any ideas that you may have. I plan on becoming more active in Keenspace. I hope that doesn't sound too stupid, if it does...then oh well.
Oneeyecat
A Gallery of Comics
Oneeyecat
Regular Poster

Postby Luprand on Sat Oct 02, 2004 2:06 am

If you're looking for some nice, generic-looking characters that anyone could draw, might I suggest the cast of Class Act? It's a comic I used to do for a school newspaper, and the characters are nice and simple. Joel, Kyle, and Allison are probably generic enough for anyone's tastes.

--Sij
Torio - A cartoonist without a plot.
NeTrek and other low-quality scribbles.
Luprand
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Sat Oct 02, 2004 5:30 am

for a starter page.. I think it might be cute to have an image map of a house with diffrent windows that takes you to diffrent comics... *shrugs*
<KittyKatBlack> You look deranged. But I mean that in the nicest way possible. ^_^;
Phact0rri

Postby Jim North on Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:34 am

Instead of a person or group walking through the haunted house (since that'd really be the readers themselves, neh?), how about a tour guide that shows up in each room to give a little intro? He'd be all appropriately ghouly looking and say silly/stupid/scary stuff like "Now here's something to tickle your ScArY bone! Werewolves of every shape and size, stalking their prey and having a HoWlInG good time!"

EDIT: The image map of the house is an excellent idea.
Existence is a series of catastrophes through which everything barely but continually survives.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Sat Oct 02, 2004 11:25 am

I like the tour guide idea Jim! I'm thinking of having a guy who's got a skull face, maybe missing a lower jaw. baggy robe or somthing for clothing that would be easy for everyone to draw.
Phact0rri

Postby JexKerome on Sat Oct 02, 2004 6:02 pm

In that case we should also agree on a font for the guide's speech, that way he'll be even more recognizable in every picture. I'd suggest blambot's "Mutant Supermodel" or "chattering teeth".
Faith is what credulity becomes when it finally achieves escape velocity from the constraints of terrestrial discourse- reasonableness, internal coherence, civility, and candor. Thus, the men who commited the atrocities of September 11 were neither cowards nor lunatics of any sort, but Men of Faith- perfect faith- and this, it must finally be acknowleged, is a terrible thing to be.
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Oneeyecat on Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:24 pm

I like the tour guide idea, and the Haunted house with linked windows idea.
Death, the robed skull face figure, as the guide sounds wild!!! I was talking about generic characters in an earlier reply, but I like tour guide idea better.

I like the font idea, and I think it would help tie the drawings altogether, the only thing I would be concern is if it interfers with an individual's drawing style. If the same type of font would fit both a realistic style and a more cartoon style. We could go with a suggested font, and if it bothers an artist then let them use what ever kind of font they want.

What does everyone else think?
Oneeyecat
A Gallery of Comics
Oneeyecat
Regular Poster

Postby Jim North on Sat Oct 02, 2004 7:55 pm

I'm down with pretty much any font, myself.

On the guide himself . . . if we go with a robed skullish fellah, we'd want to be a bit careful not to make him too similar to the Cryptkeeper or the Creepshow guy. I like the idea of a missing lower jaw, tho'.
Jim North
Cartoon Hero

Postby JexKerome on Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:05 am

You know, people, if you don't like an idea just say so instead of trying to install loopholes into it. That just renders it more complex.

So it's whichever font we want, but then we really have to make the tour guide easily recognizable and memorable while avoiding being trite. Let's start submissions on this guy. Since I can't recall the creepshow guy Jim's referring to, I'll not submit my idea (that way I avoid falling into a clich
JexKerome
Cartoon Hero

Postby Phact0rri on Sun Oct 03, 2004 7:15 am

I use Blambots arcanum for monsters in my comic. you can see it in use here. I don't much mind what font we use as long as I can get a copy of said font for free. ^_~
As the crypt keeper Jim. I think as long as we don't give the fella any hair and make his cloak not green we should be in good hands. plus missing the lower jaw should seal the deal
Phact0rri

Next

Return to Dropdowns and Crossovers