Ultimate power

Ultimate power

Postby Sciguy on Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:41 pm

And Ben exercises the right of Legal Gardiun. Better then docking pay.
"I'm all for art even if it offends me, so long as it doesn't miss represent me." -Rob D.L.
Sciguy
Regular Poster

Postby Persephone_Kore on Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:12 pm

That made me chuckle. And I rather like the... I'm not sure it even qualifies as a detente... but it's interesting and well done the way Ben and Beltane are being semi-civil. Ben seems to be handling it pretty well, too, especially when she brought up his earlier comments about nepotism -- he acknowledges it and then does something directly related and makes a joke of sorts about it, without getting defensive or upset or anything. (I wouldn't think he'd be willing to fire her over this anyway, honestly, but on the other hand I'm not entirely sure he'd have hired someone with Penny's overall attitude if they'd applied instead of being sort of dropped on him.)

Also, I confess that the strips about nepotism from before had totally slipped my mind, so points for bringing it up again. Now, this is kind of a family business in the first place, which didn't apply to the department store, but it was a nice continuity reminder and set up a fun joke. (Beltane's wide-eyed look is always kind of fun.... *g*)
Persephone_Kore
Regular Poster

Postby Jaydub on Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:49 am

I got a chuckle out of that as well..... :lol:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Postby Shyal_malkes on Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:54 am

the thought came to me...

"there's more then one way to (punish) a cat."
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Madmoonie on Sat Dec 16, 2006 6:30 am

shyal_malkes wrote:the thought came to me...

"there's more then one way to (punish) a cat."

Bad, shayal! Bad! (Yeah, it was funny :P)

Anyway, I do like the fact that he DID do something about it. He had a pretty appropiate response. And was cival to Beltane. Although when did Ben give Beltaine any greif about nepotisim. I thought Ben gave the grief to the Boss when his niece showed up.

EDIT: Wait, wait....she said 'everyone,' not 'me.' Nevermind. Like this one.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Hallan on Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:05 pm

I'm impressed. An actual even-handed, unslanted response.

Thumbs up.

Hallan
Hallan
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:08 am

The nepotism doesn't look so bad when you know the circumstances: Penny has to live with them, but she ought to make herself useful as well. But I don't blame Ben for not feeling like explaining the situation to Beltane.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Sharuuk on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:39 pm

One reason Ben's being civil to Beltane is that he owns the place and no longer has to worry about her running to the boss if she doesn't get the satisfaction she feels entitled to. She gets bitchy over how he's handled the situation, and he's been more than civil and polite to her, he can tell her to leave if she doesn't like it.

Having that kind of 'power' in a situation such as this, given their history, can actually have a calming effect on you. No raising of voice, no fear of fallout from the main office, nothing. She still presses the issue, he can calmly fold his arms across his chest and tell her..."I've done all that I'm going to do, if that's not enough for you, there's the door." If she still wants to raise a stink he can add....."please don't come back."

Şaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:47 pm

In the words of the Almighty Gord:

Door's to your left.

:twisted: So many idiots forget that no, the customer is not always right, and the owners/managers/employees can toss them out on their butts when they behave inappropriately.

(btw, does anyone get those people who give impossible demands on the owner, or try to lie their way out of trouble, then threaten never to come back? :roll: not sure they're using all their brain cells...)
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby Jaydub on Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:29 am

StrangeWulf13 wrote:In the words of the Almighty Gord:

Door's to your left.

:twisted: So many idiots forget that no, the customer is not always right, and the owners/managers/employees can toss them out on their butts when they behave inappropriately.

(btw, does anyone get those people who give impossible demands on the owner, or try to lie their way out of trouble, then threaten never to come back? :roll: not sure they're using all their brain cells...)

After working 28 1/2 years in retail I have to agree. The one cartoon I read once showed the extent of "The customer is always right" It was a little old lady standing in front of the complaint window and the guy in the window was saying to her. "Ok, we will refund all you money, give you a new replacement for free, have the manager shot and then burn down the store. They would you be Satisfied?"
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Postby Daniel Meyer on Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:26 am

Jaydub wrote:After working 28 1/2 years in retail I have to agree. The one cartoon I read once showed the extent of "The customer is always right" It was a little old lady standing in front of the complaint window and the guy in the window was saying to her. "Ok, we will refund all you money, give you a new replacement for free, have the manager shot and then burn down the store. They would you be Satisfied?"

One of the very first "The Whiteboard" also follows that theme...
http://the-whiteboard.com/autowb003.html

(excellent comic BTW...)
CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer
Author: The Life Is a Road series of motorcycle adventure books
Daniel Meyer
Regular Poster

Return to Under the Lemon Tree