Shall we play a game?

Shall we play a game?

Postby Celidah the Bardess on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:48 am

So other than the RP we have on this forum, I'm noticing a lack of community gameage here. With this in mind, I'd like to see if we can start another game. Not an RP, mind you, but a little mind game. (RH, I hope this is okay with you. I thought since we have plenty of other unrelated-to-comic thread discussions, that an unrelated game wouldn't hurt.)

This game is called Executioner, and here's how it works:

I am the executioner. A game player will create a post describing an action that will try to convince me to save their life. There are three kinds of actions that a player can post: begging, bribing, or entertaining. (Sorry, no blowing me away with heavy weaponry, because that would be a very short game, and defeat the purpose. :roll: )

Now, I will have a rule for choosing which posters live or die, based on something within the text of players' posts. This rule will be set before the other players start posting. The players' job is to try to figure out what the rule is. First one to figure out the rule and correctly identify it wins the round, and becomes the next executioner. Of course, if you try to identify the rule and get it wrong, you die. You are allowed to post again after you die...for the sake of this game, there's a magical Goblin Hollow Forum respawn. :)

That probably sounds really confusing, so here's an example:

Jim-Bob is the executioner. He's decided that his secret rule is that a post must contain the word "shiny" or a synonym. So if Billy-Bob posts the following:

I'm going to beg. *throws self on ground* Please, please, puleeeze don't kill me! I have a family!

Jim-Bob will then post:

Mmmm, sorry. *vaporizes Billy-Bob*

But if Mary-Bob posts this:

If you spare me, I'll bribe you with this big, sparkly diamond!

Then Jim-Bob will post:

Oooh, shiny. Okay, Mary-Bob lives...for now. Mwhahaha.

EDIT: I forgot to mention one more rule: the text of sigs and signoffs doesn't count in determining if a rule is followed or not. For example, if I have a rule that the post cannot contain any symbols outside punctuation marks, J.A.M.'s usual warping procedure, with its asteriks and brackets, wouldn't count towards breaking the rule, since he puts that in all his posts.

Now, as a caveat, this is all assuming that executioners will make rules that aren't impossibly difficult to guess, and if it goes on for a while with no takers, the executioner will start giving hints.

I don't even know if this will interest anyone, but I thought I'd throw it out there. If you want to play, I'll be waiting right here, all ready to go... :twisted:
Last edited by Celidah the Bardess on Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Celidah the Bardess
Regular Poster

Postby Canis_lupus on Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:56 pm

I will give you some tasty food if you let me live.
"I hate turtlenecks. Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy. All day. Like, if you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget trying to bring you down."

-Mitch Hedberg
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Location: Off some Turnpike in Jersey. check next to the landfill.

Postby Celidah the Bardess on Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:51 pm

*thinks a minute*

*raises axe*

*lowers it* Okay, Canus. I'll spare you...this time.
Celidah the Bardess
Regular Poster

Postby Canis_lupus on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:26 pm

did I win or is this a second chance?
"I hate turtlenecks. Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy. All day. Like, if you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget trying to bring you down."

-Mitch Hedberg
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Postby Celidah the Bardess on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:29 pm

No, you have to guess correctly what the rule IS to win. You just have a second chance now.
Celidah the Bardess
Regular Poster

Postby Canis_lupus on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:30 pm

ok

-Mitch Hedberg
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderwolf on Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:44 pm

<cocks an ear> Ah, sweet mystery of death. Either I get something right or my whistling stops at the graveyard.

Oh, well, it's not like I haven't died on stage a hundred times... what's one more?

<begins a slow one-wolf waltz> I ask you, doesn't it get interesting, dancing with death this way? You wouldn't want to ring down the curtain already, would you?

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Celidah the Bardess on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:12 pm

*joins Wanderwolf in his waltz*

Sorry, Wander, but some curtains just must be rung. So must some bells, and ask not for whom they toll...

*rings down Wander's curtain*
Celidah the Bardess
Regular Poster

Postby Werekitty on Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:51 pm

I will give you some tasty chocolate if you let me live.
"When you want something done, you ask a man. When you want it done quietly and without any fuss, you ask a woman."
-Mercedes Lackey

I am the Werekitty. Here me mew.

Hope springs eternal.
It just doesn't land where you want.
Werekitty
Regular Poster

Postby Capnregex on Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:31 pm

Heh,
What kind of sick and twisted game is this?

I believe that man has the god given right to Life, Liberty, Property, and the Persuit or Happiness. As a result, he has the right to protect these rights, even to the point of defending himself by the use of force.

Governments are instituted amoung men, as a means for men to delegate that use of force as a defense to their collective defense.

As such, I choose not to accept your rules, and in the interest of defending the lives of others, I'm still going to pull out the firepower and aim it in your general direction.

"Missy, I'm going to suggest that you re-con the game to not include taking Life, Liberty, or Property from the participants.. even in pretend. "
Capnregex
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:40 pm

Was that a serious or sarcastic post? :-?
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Shyal_malkes on Fri Dec 08, 2006 3:23 pm

either way I am rather interrested in the riddle game (I love trying to solve riddles) and lethal or not I plan on making my bid soon unless other bids can give me further clues. as it is I am still waiting for the reaction with the most recent bid.
I still say the doctor did it....
Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Postby Celidah the Bardess on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:56 pm

To Brock: My thoughts exactly. :o

To capnregix: If you're serious, then I have to say this (and I'm only saying it once)--You are taking this way too seriously. In real life, people play Mafia as a party game. People play Halo, Counterstrike, and any given number of MMORPGs in Deathmatch mode or a variation thereof, in which the goal or means to attaining a goal is killing other players. Kids play "War" and "Cops and Robbers," and pretend to kill each other. There's no government oppression going on, and no one's going to lose anything. In fact, there are no real losers in this game, because even those who guess wrong can come back and try again. If you don't like it, don't play, but please don't spoil everyone else's fun. If you're being sarcastic though, then, um...cookies. Yeah, cookies.

To shyal: go ahead and place a bid. You can, after all, "respawn" and make another one. :D

And finally, to Werekitty: Hmmm. Although I have to ask you not to so closely copy another player's post, technically, you're okay. Consider yourself saved. *purrs* Mmm, chocolate.
Celidah the Bardess
Regular Poster

Postby Werekitty on Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:45 pm

I am guessing the rule:

You have to have the word "tasty" in your request.
"When you want something done, you ask a man. When you want it done quietly and without any fuss, you ask a woman."
-Mercedes Lackey

I am the Werekitty. Here me mew.

Hope springs eternal.
It just doesn't land where you want.
Werekitty
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderwolf on Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:01 am

Celidah the Bardess wrote:*joins Wanderwolf in his waltz*

Sorry, Wander, but some curtains just must be rung. So must some bells, and ask not for whom they toll...

*rings down Wander's curtain*

No, not the-

WHUMP!

... asbestos curtain... ow...

Yours until the last cow pats,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Celidah the Bardess on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:44 am

Werekitty wrote:I am guessing the rule:

You have to have the word "tasty" in your request.

Nope! *summons the giant foot to come down and squish the kitty*
Celidah the Bardess
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:44 am

I'll break my post into two sections for clarity.

Part One wrote:*Speculation begins in the gallery. There's too little evidence yet to be certain of any of my three main hypotheses. Query: the rule can relate to anything in the player's post, including use of syntax, punctation, length of post, word order etc? Hmm. *Comes up with a post.*

Part Two The Game Post wrote:Spare me, and I shall give you a box of Chinese tea.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Celidah the Bardess on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:23 am

Ooo, tea. Okay, Brock, you get to live another day.
Celidah the Bardess
Regular Poster

Postby Kerry Skydancer on Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:51 pm

The bat shall offer honey-roasted crickets for your consideration.
Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Postby Celidah the Bardess on Sat Dec 09, 2006 7:07 pm

The bat shall fare better than the crickets...which is to say, the bat lives.

I think that the crickets are better for a cat than I though.

Oh, wait, I am a cat! Aheh. XD
Celidah the Bardess
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Under the Lemon Tree