Here we go again

Postby Canis_lupus on Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:15 pm

Madmoonie wrote:These Home Owner's Associations are little biddies in cardigans (I know I spelled that one wrong) who go around simply looking for something to be offended by. Sneezing in their presence would get you labeled for dumping bio-waste in the air or something.

This is very funny but sadly true.
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Location: Off some Turnpike in Jersey. check next to the landfill.

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:10 pm

Madmoonie wrote:Well, regardless of your inpretations, the person who put it up most likely did not mean any satanic symbolism. They most likely meant something akin to Peace on Earth or something. These Home Owner's Associations are little biddies in cardigans (I know I spelled that one wrong) who go around simply looking for something to be offended by. Sneezing in their presence would get you labeled for dumping bio-waste in the air or something. Probably these HOA people were just looking for a reason to nail this person and they found it. (Same kind of people who object to 'Under God' in the pledge of allegiance.)

And often it is comprised of little nobodies who think the universe revolves around them.
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:23 pm

You want real idiocy? I can tell you about a little town where a local millionaire, incensed that another local millionaire was planning to build a new house just down the hill from him, which would block his view of the cacti and the rocks, sued the other millionaire and the builder. He also started a weekly newspaper, which he sent out free to all homes in a significant radius, which distributed his political views. He quickly figured out that he could influence local politics, as there were no competing papers in the region (just the metropolis next door) and he could thus control the outcomes of elections. I don't exagerate when I say he could virtually pick the elected officials.

Now there's a relative nobody who paid the world to revolve around him...
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Earl McClaw on Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:06 pm

BrockthePaine wrote:I can tell you about a little town where a local millionaire ... started a weekly newspaper ... could virtually pick the elected officials.

As a person he was a "nobody", but throwing money around like that will make the world revolve around you one way or another.

I'm thankful that the most "my way" person I know is a manager at work. (At least I expect him to act like that, so I'm not terribly surprised.)

Woe to he who comes under the influence of someone who's just discovered he's in charge for the first time.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby NydaLynn on Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:45 pm

Earl McClaw wrote:
BrockthePaine wrote:I can tell you about a little town where a local millionaire ... started a weekly newspaper ... could virtually pick the elected officials.

As a person he was a "nobody", but throwing money around like that will make the world revolve around you one way or another.

I'm thankful that the most "my way" person I know is a manager at work. (At least I expect him to act like that, so I'm not terribly surprised.)

Woe to he who comes under the influence of someone who's just discovered he's in charge for the first time.

Sadly true. Though I would at 'and has wanted to be in charge just for the power' to that. With being 'in charge' somes great resposibility to those you serve(supervise). Anyone who forgets this is unpleasant to be around. The only way to fix this is by education from a peer or a supervisor.... if they that need it are willing to learn.
"Que Sera Sera..."
<a href="http://nydalynn.deviantart.com"> Deviant Art stuff</a>
NydaLynn
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:37 pm

Yup, we just gave Ralph an idea for the strip... good job, guys, keep it up!
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby RHJunior on Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:16 am

My next question is:

What kind of actual, binding, legal authority does a homeowner's committee actually HAVe?
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero

Postby Madmoonie on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:10 am

RHJunior wrote:My next question is:

What kind of actual, binding, legal authority does a homeowner's committee actually HAVe?

Legally? None, I believe. They can just complain very loudly. Although sometimes I think they try to make people sign contracts which they wave around if they don't like somethiong. But I don't believe they have any REAL authority what-so-ever.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Namrepus221 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:13 am

A good bit really.

You sign a contract when you buy the property saying that you will abide by their rules. Break the contract (and any idiotic rules therein) and they have full legal right to fine you, or have you thrown out.

it's a catch-22 of sorts.
Namrepus221
Regular Poster

Postby Canis_lupus on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:20 am

Well I know from my work that if people broke the "rules" they would be fined and if they didnt pay I was not allowed to let them into the Pool area. But legaly i dont think that they have much.
"I hate turtlenecks. Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy. All day. Like, if you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget trying to bring you down."

-Mitch Hedberg
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Location: Off some Turnpike in Jersey. check next to the landfill.

Postby BrockthePaine on Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:36 am

Technically? A lot, or not much, depending upon the state. If a member fails to pay, in SOME states the HOA can foreclose on the house, with or without legal proceedings; in other states they can't. Or they can just sue.

I should point out that most homeowner's associations are in new developments, and Ben's house would need to have been "grafted in" to the HOA somehow; he should have signed a membership paper when he was signing for the house, but compared to all the other paperwork it's just a "sign and date here" form, so he might not have thought much of it.

Some ideas to consider:
- Evidently Ben doesn't know he's in a HOA, and thus didn't pay his dues.
- One of Peckensnif's minions is on the board and decides to "run him out of town" for being evil/etc/whatnot
- The new greenhouse wasn't okayed by the HOA, and now they are ticked about it.
- HOA is being formed and the HOA wants his land grafted in.

See this link for more info.

BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby NydaLynn on Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:40 pm

Namrepus221 wrote:

A good bit really.

You sign a contract when you buy the property saying that you will abide by their rules. Break the contract (and any idiotic rules therein) and they have full legal right to fine you, or have you thrown out.

it's a catch-22 of sorts.

Really? :o Does not make much sense to me... hrmm... do you sign a paper or is the contract implied by simply moving in?
"Que Sera Sera..."
<a href="http://nydalynn.deviantart.com"> Deviant Art stuff</a>
NydaLynn
Regular Poster

Postby Earl McClaw on Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:25 pm

NydaLynn wrote:
Namrepus221 wrote:
RHJunior wrote:What kind of actual, binding, legal authority does a homeowner's committee actually HAVe?

Really? :o Does not make much sense to me... hrmm... do you sign a paper or is the contract implied by simply moving in?

I'd expect you'd have to sign a contract for it to be legally binding. And I'd have to question what authority an HOA might have over a business, even one whose owners live onsite.

As for the protesters, she's with the local "Ladies' Fellowship of Concerned Christians", not an HOA. (But we may have given Ralph an idea for a new storyline.)
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby Namrepus221 on Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:41 pm

I would imagine ben is not in an HOA area.

It's never been said that he was or anything.

HOA's are more for those planned developments and such. All the houses look the same and such. Planned suburbia.

And yes. You do sign a physical contract, it's included in the deed.

http://loan.yahoo.com/m/primer13.html <- here's a nice little primer.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/10 ... etail.html <- A good example of an HOA going well beyond their means

http://www.click2houston.com/investigat ... etail.html <- yet another.

Honestly. I would never live in any place that had an HOA, and if I had no choice... I'd make their lives a living hell.
Namrepus221
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderwolf on Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:08 pm

What kind of actual, binding, legal authority does a homeowner's committee actually HAVE?

To be as precise as possible: It varies. In some states, such as California or my native Texas, a homeowner's association has the power to foreclose your home if you refuse to comply with their regulations. In most states, however, a judicial hearing is first required.

Still, homeowner's associations are part of common-interest developments. Goblin Hollow wouldn't come under such influence, since it's an older, pre-existing house. The closest thing you'd have for such a house would be a historical society, which might take him to court to prevent any drastic structural changes. Given the greenhouse, however, either the house isn't considered historical, or the historical society has bigger fish to fry... or they agreed with Ben's ideas.

Yours truly,

The fact-checking,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:29 pm

Earl McClaw wrote:(But we may have given Ralph an idea for a new storyline.)

Yup.

BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Deckard Canine on Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:06 am

I haven't lived in an HOA neighborhood, but I've heard HOAs compared to mafias in terms of how and why they started and where they went from there.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Under the Lemon Tree