Here we go again

Here we go again

Postby Canis_lupus on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Location: Off some Turnpike in Jersey. check next to the landfill.

Postby BrockthePaine on Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:37 pm

Let her keep her silly little peace sign. It's her property, not the homeowners association's. We used to live in one of those neighborhoods - they made a bunch of silly rules about what brands of paint you could use on your house, and how high your plants could be, how many square feet of grass you could have in your front lawn, and stupid stuff like that. Self-important pimple-heads, the whole lot of them.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:33 pm

Ugh. Beuracrats. They make life stink for the rest of us. Control freaks, every last one of 'em.

I say we hang the President of the Homeowners Association by her underwear on the flagpole... :twisted: Sic temper tyranus.
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby Canis_lupus on Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:11 pm

Dont even get me started on the Homeowners Association people. I worked as a Lifeguard at the pool of a snobby housing complex. Such bad memories.
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Postby MikeVanPelt on Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:54 pm

[quote="BrockthePaine" ]L... homeowners association's. We used to live in one of those neighborhoods - they made a bunch of silly rules about what brands of paint you could use on your house, and how high your plants could be, how many square feet of grass you could have in your front lawn, and stupid stuff like that. Self-important pimple-heads, the whole lot of them.[/quote]

I lived in such a place once... never again. Not just control freaks who want to run everyone else's lives for them, but mandatory dues every month, that go up regularly, and absolutely zero to show for all the money. And regular lies, lies, lies from the ruling clique at the excruciatingly tedious association meetings.

Never. Again.

When we moved, my instructions to the realtor were that any sort of owners association whatsoever was an absolute deal-breaker; I would not under any circumstances consent to involve myself in any such thing ever again.

If we ever move again, the same rule will apply.
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster

Postby Canis_lupus on Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:04 pm

Good move. Some of those members are staight up soup nazis.
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Postby Axelgear on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:34 pm

Am I the only one that realizes the whole "No signs or symbols that can be considered divisive" means that NOTHING at ALL can be up? Not even houses, because some far, far, far out-there environmentalists believe a house is a desecration of nature. Silly peoples... Does that mean "Peace be with you" is now not allowed to be said in that neighbourhood?

Well, at least it gives us some people to feel smarter than at least.
Astronomer. Sketch Artist. All-around generally creative and useless guy.
Axelgear
Regular Poster

Postby Canis_lupus on Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:38 pm

No matter what you do, someone will get offended by it.
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Postby Earl McClaw on Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:28 pm

I live in a condo community, which is probably a bit like your Homeowner's Association. But considering it means I have to do effectively zero external maintenance, I don't mind. Your Homeowner's Association sounds like all the negatives with none of the positives (with the possible exception of banning day-glo paint jobs.)
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby Narnian on Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:41 pm

Canis_lupus wrote:No matter what you do, someone will get offended by it.

Hey, that offends me! :twisted:
Pax,
Richard
-------------
"We are all fallen creatures and all very hard to live with", C. S. Lewis
Narnian
Regular Poster

Postby Atarlost on Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:37 am

Believe it or not it actually is an anti-christian symbol.

http://www.bbhq.com/peacesin.htm

A neronic cross in a circle. For those who want to fiddle while the world burns. How appropriate.
If power flows from the barrel of a gun true democracy consists of every citizen having a gun.
Atarlost
Regular Poster

Postby Namrepus221 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:09 am

Atarlost wrote:Believe it or not it actually is an anti-christian symbol.

http://www.bbhq.com/peacesin.htm

A neronic cross in a circle. For those who want to fiddle while the world burns. How appropriate.

That is your interpretation, not what it really is.

They provide no evidence or pictures that could prove this "theory" correct.

Anyone with a college education will tell you that if it's not cited, then it never happned.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_sign <- Better definition
Namrepus221
Regular Poster

Postby Wanderwolf on Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:52 am

Actually, they say the Neronic cross resembles the Teutonic cross (seen here upon the regalia of a 27th-degree mason of the Scottish Rite)... which looks nothing like a peace symbol, circle or no cirle.

A more accurate (but only slightly more evident) connection is to the Elder Futhark runes; the peace symbol is the rune Algiz, or possibly Maðr, inverted, within a protective circle.

Why is this important? Because the first rune, Algiz, is believed to mean "elk"; the second means "man".

Since runes don't necessarily take on different meanings when inverted, it can therefore mean "protect man".

According to the designer (Gerald Holtom, a conscientious objector), however, it's semaphore:

N: Arms akimbo, flags down: / \

D: Right arm above head, left arm between legs, forming a straight line:

|
|

Thus:
|
/|\

Slap a circle around it, you're there. He has also stated that it was further inspired by the expression of despair: Arms akimbo, palms outward, drawn from Goya's depiction of a peasant before a Franconian firing squad.

Honestly, the funny ideas some people get...

Yours truly,

The factual,

Wanderer
Last edited by Wanderwolf on Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:29 pm

Anyone who sees that sign in a Christmas wreath and thinks of the Satan sign before "Peace on Earth, Goodwill to Men" (or "...All") could use a long hosing. And anyone who thinks it's strictly political and therefore objectionable in any context can get what he or she asks for: no peace.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Namrepus221 on Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:48 pm

According to teh Wikipedia article the peace sign was created from the semafore flag symbols for "N" and "D" (which stood for Nuclear Disarmamanet)

This reminds me of the opening scene with Tom hanks from the Da Vinci code. You can look at something, and get the context completely wrong because of social misinterpretation.
Namrepus221
Regular Poster

Postby MikeVanPelt on Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:08 pm

Deckard Canine wrote:And anyone who thinks it's strictly political and therefore objectionable in any context can get what he or she asks for: no peace.

It's pretty thoroughly documented that the sign was devised for a specific political campaign, The Campaign For (Unilateral) Nuclear Disarmament, in the late 1950s. Basically, an anti-resistance-to-Soviet-Communisim movement. I never observed it being used in any protest against Communist nukes.

Its use branched out a lot from there. However, one characteristic never changed -- it is always -- always -- used by people who are criticising the United States and its allies. It has never, to the best of my knowledge, ever been used to criticize warlike, violent actions of enemies of the United States.
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:54 pm

I was taught that it stood for the Antichrist: it's an upside down cross (pointing to Hell), and broken (trying to annull the original sacrifice) and in a circle (portraying reincarnation).
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Canis_lupus on Tue Nov 28, 2006 3:10 pm

The JAM wrote:I was taught that it stood for the Antichrist: it's an upside down cross (pointing to Hell), and broken (trying to annull the original sacrifice) and in a circle (portraying reincarnation).

I guess symbols like this all depend on how you interprete them. your opinion sounded wierd at first but when you nitpik a symbol you can get almost any meaning from it.

Virgin mary on a grilled cheese anyone?
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:43 pm

Just to clarify: when I said "any context," I meant "every context."
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:00 pm

Well, regardless of your inpretations, the person who put it up most likely did not mean any satanic symbolism. They most likely meant something akin to Peace on Earth or something. These Home Owner's Associations are little biddies in cardigans (I know I spelled that one wrong) who go around simply looking for something to be offended by. Sneezing in their presence would get you labeled for dumping bio-waste in the air or something. Probably these HOA people were just looking for a reason to nail this person and they found it. (Same kind of people who object to 'Under God' in the pledge of allegiance.)
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Under the Lemon Tree