Hard Onions

Hard Onions

Postby Mayihelpyou on Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:05 pm

I think it's wonderful.

I've been following various comics online for about five years now.. even started my own. I came across Under the Lemon Tree about two years ago, and was just so pleasantly surprised that someone "conservative" was being open about their views in their comics. So many people in the artistic/creative field are really open about their not-so-conservative opinions, that it was just really nice to see a comic that openly espoused that without being preachy.
That being said, this is your comic. This is your expression of artistic/creative vision. It can be whatever you want it to be.. and I, for one, don't mind seeing a little bit more spiritualism and conservatism in the world.
Kudos to you. I'll be following along, just like I have been for the past two years.
"My secret to happiness is that I have the heart of a 12 year old child.. I keep it in a jar over there..wanna see it?" -Old Vaudeville.. really old vaudeville..
Mayihelpyou
Regular Poster

Postby Capnregex on Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:46 pm

I second the motion.
Capnregex
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Sun Nov 05, 2006 12:26 am

Dittos
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Earl McClaw on Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:39 pm

I hope you realize I'm describing method, not content, when I say this seems similar to when Hefner began composing "the Playboy Philosophy" in his magazine. He presented his views on the world.

Now you're presenting yours. This could become quite the event. I'm going to be very interested in what you present.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby UncleMonty on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:02 pm

As I've seen it, Ralph's been presenting his philosophy, ideals, and worldview for quite some time now. Most of us here tend to agree with a lot of that, and those that don't mostly came to this forum simply to malign him. I'd call that evidence of an effective message.
Avoid those who speak badly of the people, for such wish to rule over you.
UncleMonty
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mayihelpyou on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:20 pm

UncleMonty wrote:As I've seen it, Ralph's been presenting his philosophy, ideals, and worldview for quite some time now. Most of us here tend to agree with a lot of that, and those that don't mostly came to this forum simply to malign him. I'd call that evidence of an effective message.

Exactly. I've raved to anyone who reads online comics about the morality and ethos of what I've seen in his comic, since I started reading it. It is a terribly effective message in that it isn't saying "Believe what I believe or you'll go to HELL!" even if he thinks that.. rather he's saying, through his comic, "this is what I believe is right.. by example of my characters.." I also happen to agree with just about 99% of it. But that's what kept me coming back to it.. The goblin thing is kinda freakin' me out.. but I like it.
"My secret to happiness is that I have the heart of a 12 year old child.. I keep it in a jar over there..wanna see it?" -Old Vaudeville.. really old vaudeville..
Mayihelpyou
Regular Poster

Postby Mayihelpyou on Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:23 pm

Earl McClaw wrote:I hope you realize I'm describing method, not content, when I say this seems similar to when Hefner began composing "the Playboy Philosophy" in his magazine. He presented his views on the world.

Now you're presenting yours. This could become quite the event. I'm going to be very interested in what you present.

Again.. I agree completely. But instead of presenting that through the comic he already has, he's going to have an addendum designed to specifically point out his inner "journey".. (sorry for the hippie speak.. couldn't think of another word to describe it.. it's quite late and I've already done a ton of yard work today. Tired..).. And a good example to use, btw.
Mayihelpyou
Regular Poster

Postby J4N1 on Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:22 am

UncleMonty wrote:Most of us here tend to agree with a lot of that, and those that don't mostly came to this forum simply to malign him.

I take offence on this, i do not agree with Ralph on most issues, but i am not here to be malign the author, i am here to discuss about comic and take part in the debates that go on.

I disagree with the author on many real life issues, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying his comics, and because i enjoy his comics, i am here.
J4N1
Regular Poster

Postby Kerry Skydancer on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:23 am

Good for you, then, J4N1. You're the exception to the rule, though - we have had hate-mongers show up and denounce the author for daring to be conservative... or at least try to. Somehow it always comes off as shrill and childish; when one is arguing against a belief, it helps to have some actual -facts- on hand to do it with.

Over the years, I've discovered that my personal philosophy is mostly congruent with Christianity, minus the mythology parts. I'm not a believer, but I agree with most of their real-world points. Humans are not perfect, nor perfectible, but they can be redeemed if they want to be. Western culture, which is Judeo-Christian at heart, works better than its competitors. Self-sacrifice is sometimes necessary. You do the best you can in an imperfect world, and you hold society and the environment (in the broadest sense) in trust for the next generation.

So Ralph's material speaks to me, at a deep level.
Skydancer

Ignorance is not a point of view.
Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mayihelpyou on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:10 am

I have seen several people in these forums get really nasty with him.. and I never understood why. He's not forcing his views down anyone's throat. Which is generally what the people who get nasty about it try to do with him.
Mayihelpyou
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:04 pm

Kerry Skydancer wrote:You're the exception to the rule, though

Perhaps an exception. On many of RHJ's points, I either disagree or am undecided (the latter happening more often lately).
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby Kerry Skydancer on Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:45 pm

Deckard Canine wrote:
Kerry Skydancer wrote:You're the exception to the rule, though

Perhaps an exception. On many of RHJ's points, I either disagree or am undecided (the latter happening more often lately).

Okay, okay, AN exception. Sheesh, you people are more pedantic than I am sometimes, and that's not easy.

Mayi, I think that's the problem. He's not preaching, and what he's saying is something they don't want to hear. So they get shrill about it, as though they're trying to drown out what he's saying because they can't refute it.
Skydancer

Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:03 pm

If you haven't seen his LJ, you have no idea how shrill they can get.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Mayihelpyou on Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:44 pm

Deckard Canine wrote:Mayi, I think that's the problem. He's not preaching, and what he's saying is something they don't want to hear. So they get shrill about it, as though they're trying to drown out what he's saying because they can't refute it.

I definitely think that's the problem.. I think that's why people jump down other's throats is because what they hear/perceive makes them uncomfortable.. almost a deeper sense of knowing that something is wrong. It's called a conscience. If you can talk louder than that little voice in the back of your head, you don't have to listen to it so much. So when these people who get really ridiculous and nasty about basic common belief systems (and i"m not even talking about religious or political beliefs here.. I'm talking about basic stuff, what we feel as egocentric to ourselves) feel a little squirm in the back of their heads, they tend to try to drown it out.

I was going to have this big long example of what I mean, but it's really too lengthy. I've never been active in forums, but I've read them for a long time.. Particularly Ralph's, because they're just so much darn fun to read.
Mayihelpyou
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:02 pm

Hey, then welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay, and keep your asbestos suit handy :D
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Capnregex on Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:10 pm

The JAM wrote:Hey, then welcome to the forums! Enjoy your stay, and keep your asbestos suit handy :D

Heh, I don't need an asbestos suit.. I have Phineas...
The nastiest NPC I've ever created.. Wizard turned fire elemental. He manipulates Kinetic/Thermal energy like most of us breathe. :)
Capnregex
Regular Poster

Postby Kerry Skydancer on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:31 am

Yep. If you yell loudly enough, you drown out that little voice in the back of your head that's saying 'wait a minute' to you.

Sometimes, people find it hard to tell the difference between that sort of shrillness and the exasperation of explaining a position and reasoning for the umpteenth time (which is why I don't discuss biology here any more), but most of the time it's the way to bet.
Skydancer

Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Postby RDB on Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:39 pm

mayihelpyou wrote:[...] instead of presenting that through the comic he already has, he's going to have an addendum designed to specifically point out his inner "journey".. (sorry for the hippie speak.. couldn't think of another word to describe it.. it's quite late and I've already done a ton of yard work today. Tired..).. And a good example to use, btw.

There's also Yogi Berra:

"If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up someplace else."

Ron
RDB
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:26 pm

And, like it or not, Christians, it's going to get worse, no matter in what country you live in. Better fasten your seatbelts, better keep yourselves pure, and better keep your lamps full of oil, unless you want to be disqualified after everything is said and done. (Ephesians 4)
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Madmoonie on Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:30 pm

The JAM wrote:And, like it or not, Christians, it's going to get worse, no matter in what country you live in. Better fasten your seatbelts, better keep yourselves pure, and better keep your lamps full of oil, unless you want to be disqualified after everything is said and done. (Ephesians 4)

Something tells that is not a DIRECT quotation. But true. Very true.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Next

Return to Under the Lemon Tree