RH Made Pournelle's Blog!

RH Made Pournelle's Blog!

Postby Calbeck on Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:31 pm

Ben's tribute to Peggy Gasperik earned a favorable mention in Jerry Pournelle's online diary:

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/view/view438.html#Peggy

In Memorium, Peggy Gasperik

http://nipandtuck.comicgenesis.com/

A fitting tribute to a friend we all miss.
Calbeck
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:03 pm

Yes, it did.
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:40 pm

Uh, pardon my ignorance, but... who the heck is Jerry Pournelle? I've read the name before, but I'm not sure where, or what he's done... someone mind enlightening me?
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:22 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerry_Pournelle

The Mote in God's Eye, King David's Spaceship, Footfall, CoDominium, Go Tell the Spartans...
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Labrusca on Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:58 am

I know who Pournelle is, but who was Peggy Gasperik? I can't find anything definitive in a search.
There's no insanity in my family. *I* have it all!!
Labrusca
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:39 am

I believe that she was the wife of Frank Gasperik, an illustrator of Pournelle and Niven's books. At least, that's the closest I can determine.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wanderwolf on Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:48 am

labrusca wrote:I know who Pournelle is, but who was Peggy Gasperik? I can't find anything definitive in a search.

That's because Peggy herself was not a celebrity. The celeb was her husband, Frank Gasperik, who brought us the H. Beam Piper reprints:

http://www.zarthani.net/gasperik.htm

He's a well-known figure in science-fiction fandom, being a friend (as you can guess) of Niven, Pournelle, Baen, and many others. While not a writer himself, he's a writer's best friend, being one of those unusual people whose mind holds reams of information on every possible subject, handily indexed and available... as well as being an excellent proofreader. He's been credited in at least half of Niven's work to date, mainly for world-building and technology info.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:03 pm

How'd I get that he was an illustrator?

BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby The JAM on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:20 pm

Um, congratulations, then?
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby RHJunior on Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:51 pm

Such strange connections we all make, indeed....
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wanderwolf on Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:49 pm

BrockthePaine wrote:How'd I get that he was an illustrator?

Well, you will find his name on the same page as the word "illustrator", especially when it comes to the picture of him, drawn by Frank Kelly Freas.

Yours truly,

The Google-friendly,

Wanderer
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Calbeck on Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:21 pm

I should also note that Peggy was highly involved in sci-fi fandom, one of those "irreplaceable stalwarts" that so often make up the backbone of the convention circuit and other fannish endeavors. She's one of the people who made being a fan fun.

She will most definitely be missed on that account, even if she was not technically a celebrity in her own right.
Calbeck
Regular Poster

Return to Under the Lemon Tree