RETCON????

The JAM
Cartoon Hero

RETCON????

Post by The JAM »

We're going to see the wedding and/or meeting Ben's family??

BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Post by BrockthePaine »

No. More retconish than that. There's some title for an Ah-nold Schwarzenegger movie that comes to mind...
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee

MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster

Post by MikeVanPelt »

BrockthePaine wrote:No. More retconish than that. There's some title for an Ah-nold Schwarzenegger movie that comes to mind...
"We Can Remember It For You Wholesale". Er, whatever they called. The one with the memory implants, trip to Mars, etc... "Total Recall", that's it.

The only theory that makes sense of that train wreck was that everything from the point Ahnoldt gets into the memory implant chair was all hallucinations. Typical Philp K. Dick plot; spend umpteen pages trying to make some kind of sense of the weirdness going on, get to the end, and oh, it's all been just a hallucination, tra la, tra la, it's not supposed to make sense.

Feh.

That has not been what UTLT->GH has been like, even at its most surreal, and Ralph's story telling is much more to my taste that PKDs. I'd never for a moment think he'd pull a UBIK on his poor, unsuspecting readers. The hallucination, he lets us know right up-front it is a hallucination. Though maybe there's some real stuff being revealed here.

As for "retcon", that usually means that multiple writers have written inconsistent stuff, and the patchwork just isn't coherent any more, so the have to do something to "explain" things, or rewrite or disavow earlier stories.

I don't see anything like that happening. I'm guessing the "retcon" crack was just to set up the "oops, there goes the fourth wall" joke.

But maybe something Ben thinks he knows for certain ... just ain't so.

(Now, a Philip K. Dick twist would be Ben wakes up from a long coma, he's still a janitor at Soul-Sucking Department Store, Lily is still the other employee he has a crush on but has never worked up the nerve to talk to, and he's never had any any surreal roommates in "real life". Ralph would never do something like that.)

LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster

Post by LoneWolf23k »

Maybe Ralph is setting up a big reveal about where the Posse really comes from...

Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Post by Squeaky Bunny »

Maybe the tulpas are real and Ben's the hallucinaton?
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:

Chaser617
Regular Poster

Post by Chaser617 »

If so how can Lilly see them?

Granted, Ben's shifted Padgims so many times I'm worried he's finally dropped the clutch out of his subconcious...

BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Post by BrockthePaine »

LoneWolf23k wrote:Maybe Ralph is setting up a big reveal about where the Posse really comes from...
^^^
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee

Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Post by Squeaky Bunny »

Chaser617 wrote:If so how can Lilly see them?

Granted, Ben's shifted Padgims so many times I'm worried he's finally dropped the clutch out of his subconcious...
If they are real then Lily would have no problem seeing them, it would be Ben that would be hard to spot. :shucks:

As for what will happen? We shall see, we shall see.

Maxgoof
Regular Poster

Post by Maxgoof »

MikeVanPelt wrote:"We Can Remember It For You Wholesale". Er, whatever they called. The one with the memory implants, trip to Mars, etc... "Total Recall", that's it.

The only theory that makes sense of that train wreck was that everything from the point Ahnoldt gets into the memory implant chair was all hallucinations. Typical Philp K. Dick plot; spend umpteen pages trying to make some kind of sense of the weirdness going on, get to the end, and oh, it's all been just a hallucination, tra la, tra la, it's not supposed to make sense.
Use logic. Before he went, there was some warning about people going nuts using RNA vacations.

As he was about to go under, we hear a technician say, "Huh...blue sky on Mars."

Now....if everything he experienced was real...why did the technician know it would end with a blue sky on Mars?

And if everything was RNA induced, why would a company design something where a husband will suspect or even hate his wife afterwards? That's just stupid.

No, the only answer that makes sense is, he went nuts.
Max Goof
"You gotta be loose...relaxed...with your feet apart, and...Ten o'clock. Two o'clock. Quarter to three! Tour jete! Twist! Over! Pas de deux! I'm a little teapot! And the windup...and let 'er fly! The Perfect Cast!" --Goofy

SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

BrockthePaine wrote:
LoneWolf23k wrote:Maybe Ralph is setting up a big reveal about where the Posse really comes from...
^^^
Krypton? :D
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

Narnian
Regular Poster

Post by Narnian »

SolidusRaccoon wrote:
BrockthePaine wrote:
^^^
Krypton? :D
More like Bizzaro World or the fifth dimension from where Mister Mxyztplk comes from?
Pax,
Richard
-------------
"We are all fallen creatures and all very hard to live with", C. S. Lewis

Jaydub
Regular Poster

Post by Jaydub »

I don't know about where Ben is now but here with all 4 walls gone the roof is coming down..... :o
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams

Shyal_malkes
Cartoon Hero

Post by Shyal_malkes »

Ralph doesn't break the fourth wall very much does he? some times in GH, and in N&T and NEVER in TOTQ (unless you count all the naration as 4th wall breaking)
I still say the doctor did it....

Steltek
Regular Poster

Post by Steltek »

Well, since in the classical sense, a "retcon" (retroactive continuity) means either re-interpreting past events in such a way that you substantially alter their fundamental meaning, or writing a time-travelling/universe hopping story in order to change the events within the context of the story itself.

To use a real-life example, you know how modern "historians" are fond of painting the early colonists of America as brutal killers who came here to rape and kill the native inhabitants, and at the same time painting those native inhabitants as peaceful "earth-nurturing" utopians? That's a retcon of the former type.

The second type is not really possible with our current level of science -- for example, travelling back in time and killing Hitler so World War II never takes place would be a retcon of the second type.

Calbeck
Regular Poster

Post by Calbeck »

I just like the way the rubbaottah went squish against the fourth wall. -:>

EdBecerra
Regular Poster

Post by EdBecerra »

Ummm.

Would that mean Ben lives in Paradigm City?

(points to whomever gets the joke... and the double {triple?!} meaning)
Edward A. Becerra

Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Post by Squeaky Bunny »

EdBecerra wrote:

Ummm.

Would that mean Ben lives in Paradigm City?

(points to whomever gets the joke... and the double {triple?!} meaning)
O O O, I know, I know!

Atarlost
Regular Poster

Post by Atarlost »

A time travel retcon further requires that the change in timeline not be originally envisaged. What Howard Taylor did with time trave in Schlock Mercenaryl is not a retcon because the entire arc of time that was overwritten was plotted out in advance with the intent that it be overwritten. What Steve Troop did with time travel in Melonpool is a retcon. He had turned causality into spaghetti with time travel and alternate universes and he had to use time travel to fix it.
If power flows from the barrel of a gun true democracy consists of every citizen having a gun.

Chaser617
Regular Poster

Post by Chaser617 »

You know, I just realized something, the whole 'retcon' reference might be a red herring to get us thinking in one directionw hile he goes someplace else. Ralph sher is devious (in a good way) to do that....

The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Post by The JAM »

So what happens now? We go back in time and Lily never gets a job at Bullseye so the two never meet?