Boong-Ga Boong-Ga

Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Post by Wanderwolf »

LoneWolf23k wrote:I think anyone's who's ever seen Katari Damaci can testify that not only are the Japanese frickin' wierd, but they're definetly on some of the nastiest drugs ever..
Actually, Katamari Damacy and its sequel (We Love Katamari) are very popular over here in America. Weird, yes, and not for everyone... but not uniquely Japanese.

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer

Nekocan

Post by Nekocan »

Namrepus221 wrote:
Earl McClaw wrote:Maybe instead of risking the import market, Ben should get ahold of some multi-game units.

http://www.xgaming.com/htm/cabinet.shtml
If you read the game list, the arcade unit is a modified Xbox running MAME.

If anything Ben should import some Rhythm games like DDR, Beatmania, Drummania, Taiko Drum Master, or UFO Catchers (ALOT better than the Crane Games here in the USA in what you get out of them. Some UFO dolls go for up to $100 on eBay)
Or how about them Capsule things, in Japan they give way cool prizes.

SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero

Post by SolidusRaccoon »

Seen a nice boxing game that would fit in.
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.

Namrepus221
Regular Poster

Post by Namrepus221 »

Nekocan wrote:
Namrepus221 wrote:
Earl McClaw wrote:Maybe instead of risking the import market, Ben should get ahold of some multi-game units.

http://www.xgaming.com/htm/cabinet.shtml
If you read the game list, the arcade unit is a modified Xbox running MAME.

If anything Ben should import some Rhythm games like DDR, Beatmania, Drummania, Taiko Drum Master, or UFO Catchers (ALOT better than the Crane Games here in the USA in what you get out of them. Some UFO dolls go for up to $100 on eBay)
Or how about them Capsule things, in Japan they give way cool prizes.
Gashapon

JakeWasHere
Regular Poster

Post by JakeWasHere »

LoneWolf23k wrote:I think anyone's who's ever seen Katari Damaci can testify that not only are the Japanese frickin' wierd, but they're definetly on some of the nastiest drugs ever..
Funny thing about Katamari Damacy - it was invented by an art director at Namco (or wherever it was) who had never really gotten into video games. Basically, he pushed the envelope entirely by accident: "What do you mean, nobody's ever done anything like this before? Can you still do it, at least?" And lo and behold, they had a hit.

Calbeck
Regular Poster

Post by Calbeck »

It occurs to me that "Boonga Boonga" would go over much better here in the States if it were slightly modified --- the objective being to kick the seat of the pants as hard as possible.

Re-titled "Boot in Yer @$$", players could choose from video images of pop culture personalities, such as Bill Clinton, George Bush, Johnny Cochrane, Bill Gates, and so on. Points are scored on basis of how hard and accurately a kick is placed, with each player getting three kicks per round. A sufficiently high score extends the game up to five times. Only those with five-game perfect scores get to put in their initials. Alternately, the machine could dispense tickets according to point score.

JakeWasHere
Regular Poster

Post by JakeWasHere »

Calbeck wrote:It occurs to me that "Boonga Boonga" would go over much better here in the States if it were slightly modified --- the objective being to kick the seat of the pants as hard as possible.
Fun idea, but you'd have to spend a lot of time and money in R&D just to make a cabinet that could hold up to the wear; games where you actually punch something have enough mechanical problems - I can't imagine how tough a machine would have to be to withstand several hundred thousand kicks.

BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Post by BrockthePaine »

Celidah the Bardess wrote:And hi, BrockthePaine. Long time, no see! Did ya see the greeting cameo I bought for my fiance? (May 10) He reads the RH Triple-Threat Comics, too, so it worked well. You inspired me. :)
Allo. Yes, I did see that, but I didn't recognize you... you seem to have grown a tail since we last crossed paths??? :o :P
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee

Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Post by Squeaky Bunny »

JakeWasHere wrote:
Calbeck wrote:It occurs to me that "Boonga Boonga" would go over much better here in the States if it were slightly modified --- the objective being to kick the seat of the pants as hard as possible.
Fun idea, but you'd have to spend a lot of time and money in R&D just to make a cabinet that could hold up to the wear; games where you actually punch something have enough mechanical problems - I can't imagine how tough a machine would have to be to withstand several hundred thousand kicks.
It would have to be strong enough to withstand impacts and not injure the player in the process.

Would the multi-player mode be considered an @$$ kicking contest?
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:

Nephilim

Post by Nephilim »

Anyone else remember that arm-wrestling game? I can count on one hand the number of times I ever saw one working. Heck, it's pretty common for light-gun games to be broken and those barely have moving parts. ("Hey, this light gun's not aiming properly, it's WAY off to the left." "How do you know you're not just missing a lot?" At which point I pulled out my lifetime NRA card, showed it to the gent, and walked out.)
An arse-booting game would be fairly cool, actually, but only if you could take a memory card and upload the photo of your choice... Of course, if you want to boot some butt all that badly there's plenty of less socially maladjusted ways to do it.
Katamari Damacy rocks beyond the comprehension of mere mortals. Sure, there were lots and lots of drugs involved, but if that's a disqualifying condition then you ought to go and burn just about every good piece of music you own. Disrespecting the prince means that you will not be spared when His Holy Katamari engulfs the universe.

Celidah the Bardess
Regular Poster

Post by Celidah the Bardess »

Hmph. Well, Japanese games certainly are different, no "and's", "if's", or butts about it. Just a$$ anyone who's played one.

TMLutas
Regular Poster

Post by TMLutas »

Re-titled "Boot in Yer @$$", players could choose from video images of pop culture personalities, such as Bill Clinton, George Bush, Johnny Cochrane, Bill Gates, and so on. Points are scored on basis of how hard and accurately a kick is placed, with each player getting three kicks per round. A sufficiently high score extends the game up to five times. Only those with five-game perfect scores get to put in their initials. Alternately, the machine could dispense tickets according to point score.
You'd have a problem of people getting a running start, I think.

Calbeck
Regular Poster

Post by Calbeck »

Mm, I think most of these problems are engineering ones...f'rinstance, you have to stand on a pad for three seconds before kicking, so as to prevent run-ups. You'd have to redesign the "target area" to take the punishment, largely a matter of using the right exterior cushioning. There'd have to be a safety net outside of the target area so people who miss don't accidentally kick the machine or nearby people.

That said, it's pretty clear that you couldn't do it with refitted "Boonga"s, you'd have to build this puppy from scratch. And you'd also have a potential liability issue from people who strain a muscle or miss and fall on their own @$$.

But for someone just having fun, sounds like a great way to slowly destroy an actual Boonga Boonga machine. -:D

Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Post by Squeaky Bunny »

Calbeck wrote:Mm, I think most of these problems are engineering ones...f'rinstance, you have to stand on a pad for three seconds before kicking, so as to prevent run-ups. You'd have to redesign the "target area" to take the punishment, largely a matter of using the right exterior cushioning. There'd have to be a safety net outside of the target area so people who miss don't accidentally kick the machine or nearby people.

That said, it's pretty clear that you couldn't do it with refitted "Boonga"s, you'd have to build this puppy from scratch. And you'd also have a potential liability issue from people who strain a muscle or miss and fall on their own @$$.

But for someone just having fun, sounds like a great way to slowly destroy an actual Boonga Boonga machine. -:D
It would make sense to have the player in a harness that would keep them from falling. (also it would keep them in place, eliminating running starts) And, If the target is far enough away from the main part of the game and the legs made of foam rubber, then you wouldn't have to worry about hitting something hard by mistake.

And now for the Boonga Boonga battle cry. . .

BUNS-sai!
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:

LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster

Post by LoneWolf23k »

Calbeck wrote:Mm, I think most of these problems are engineering ones...f'rinstance, you have to stand on a pad for three seconds before kicking, so as to prevent run-ups. You'd have to redesign the "target area" to take the punishment, largely a matter of using the right exterior cushioning. There'd have to be a safety net outside of the target area so people who miss don't accidentally kick the machine or nearby people.

Alternatively, you could just alter the Boon-ga Boon-ga machine to use a paddle instead of that poking thing. And then the game becomes a game of seriously spanking that A$$ 'till the virtual character squeels..

*Starts to sing "No More Mr Nice Guy..."

StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Post by StrangeWulf13 »

nephilim wrote:Heck, it's pretty common for light-gun games to be broken and those barely have moving parts. ("Hey, this light gun's not aiming properly, it's WAY off to the left." "How do you know you're not just missing a lot?" At which point I pulled out my lifetime NRA card, showed it to the gent, and walked out.)
XD I would pay money to see that! Heck, I remember a cop training game where I swore the gun was off. =P But until I join the NRA and get some good shooting experience, I won't get to pull that off.
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.

Calbeck
Regular Poster

Post by Calbeck »

LoneWolf23k wrote:Alternatively, you could just alter the Boon-ga Boon-ga machine to use a paddle instead of that poking thing. And then the game becomes a game of seriously spanking that A$$ 'till the virtual character squeels..
Hrm...much better idea there, fewer problems. Except you still have the issue of someone who's winding up accidentally smacking someone behind them...as for the paddle, it's GOTTA be authentic oak, drilled with those infamous "air holes". It should look like the one from Animal House. -:)

JakeWasHere
Regular Poster

Post by JakeWasHere »

Calbeck wrote:Hrm...much better idea there, fewer problems. Except you still have the issue of someone who's winding up accidentally smacking someone behind them...as for the paddle, it's GOTTA be authentic oak, drilled with those infamous "air holes". It should look like the one from Animal House. -:)
Don't mind me, I'm just getting the obligatory "THANK YOU SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER?" reference out of the way.

Churusaa
Regular Poster

Well...

Post by Churusaa »

I noticed that nobody had mentioned this before, so I'll spill the beans on the boonga-boonga game.

Boonga-boonga is based off a game that japanese schoolchildren play (usually the really, REALLY young ones) where you do precisely what you do in the game; give some unsuspecting stranger a jab in the butt.

I'd say it's probably equivalent to smack (a local game in my area) where you run up behind someone (A friend, unless you're either brave or stupid) and swat the back of their head, then try to run away before they can get you back. I don't know if this game exists elsewhere, but there you go...

But yeah... Japanese schoolkids have been jamming their fingers up people's butts for many, many years. This is just a way to do it without getting hit back.

---Churusaa
I smite thee with my mighty smiting rod of smitey-ness.
Life is like pie... yeah... pie.

Calbeck
Regular Poster

Post by Calbeck »

I don't know if I should suggest this explains a lot about Japan or not. -:P