Of thieves and crutches...

Of thieves and crutches...

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Wed Jan 03, 2007 11:23 pm

Have to admit, that's some of the best commentary I've heard in a while! XD I think a lot of people would take a trip to Mos Eisley if they had good ribs. Maybe that's why Jabba had so many guests. :roll:

On a more serious note, the woman in the second panel fascinates me. You don't see many anthros with scars or crippled limbs (or missing ones). Somehow, the crutch and leg brace (if my eyes aren't playing tricks on me) make her seem more... human. It's a reminder that yes, they're people too, and they can succumb to disease or injury. :roll: Nip and Tuck's universe probably has their own version of "House"...

It makes me wonder though... all those idiots who think furries are "superior" to "hyoomans"... how many of them have characters or fursonas with scars or "imperfections" like this? I think it would be very telling of their psyche...
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby SolidusRaccoon on Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:44 am

And now she is toast. The Raccoon Redshirt curse. :D
Yes, sir. I agree completely. It takes a well-balanced individual... such as yourself to rule the world. No, sir. No one knows that you were the third one... Solidus. ...What should I do about the woman? Yes sir. I'll keep her under surveillance. Yes. Thank you. Good-bye...... Mr. President.
SolidusRaccoon
Cartoon Hero

Postby Madmoonie on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:12 am

Oops. I thought she was leaning on some sort of weird box. Anyway, Solidus may be more right than we realize. Its usually about this time that the Feds show up, wioe out everything and give the hero reason to go toe to toe with the main baddie.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Deckard Canine on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:46 am

And here I thought it was either a work tool or a gun. But this isn't the first furry disability we've seen, even in "Rebel Cry." Remember the eyepatch?

Now to see if there'll be a disabled character who's neither villainous nor shady.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:13 am

My furry character isn't disabled, but I made it a point in my Mary Melody series to point out just how imperfect he was. Like me, he has an annoying hip problem.
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharuuk on Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:34 pm

I think Shandra's missing her left hand.....closer (magnified) examination of the panel looks like a cup-like fixture at what may be her wrist attached to the "grip" of the crutch. Since she's seemingly only on one crutch, she's probably wearing a brace rather than a prosthesis.

Şaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby BoKiana on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:57 am

Oddly enough, my fursona, Shadow (given a buzz cut and military change, you know him as Bo) has two physical problems. He needs glasses, which he doesn't wear (this mirrors my own self, in that I don't need glasses, but I want to wear them because it makes my eyes appear bigger and I look better with glasses, which is rare in-and-of itself), and he has a scar over his eye from an accident, but he'd tell you that it was from a battle.

Although that's the old 'version' of Shadow. Nowadays, his scar has been changed into a fur-tattoo looking like a green version of an Egyptian eye. . . thingie. It's best seen in this little piccie.

That was made from an artist's own imagination, because when commissioning him, I only told him a "scar tattoo" and he drew it in green and Egyptian-like to make it really contrast to his fur and look 'more' than a normal scar, and I loved it. It's since been made 'official' and been made in another commission, but that one I can't link for ratings reasons.

I'm big on the whole 'less than perfect' idea for characters. Many of the characters I've imagined have problems of one kind or another, be it a physical shortcoming, or something similar; like emotional/mental shortcoming that they struggle with. Only a few of my characters are the 'boy scout' type that have few-to-none shortcomings.
Allow me to introduce myself--Corporal "Bo" Kiana, Ex-Army, "Warmongering Psychopath Tool!"
BoKiana
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:28 am

I don't think looking better in glasses is so rare. Heck, in How to Marry a Millionaire, Marilyn Monroe actually looked better with '50s-style specs, as her boyfriend concurred!

In truth, I tend to find that people look better in glasses if they normally don't wear any and better without if they normally do.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby LoneWolf23k on Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:40 pm

Well, my original fursona was a physically perfect male wolf.. But I've recently sketched a version thereof a bit more true to life.. As in wearing glasses and with a bit of a belly. :shucks:
LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster

Re: Of thieves and crutches...

Postby Csadn on Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:20 am

[quote="StrangeWulf13"]
On a more serious note, the woman in the second panel fascinates me. You don't see many anthros with scars or crippled limbs (or missing ones). [...]
It makes me wonder though... all those idiots who think furries are "superior" to "hyoomans"... how many of them have characters or fursonas with scars or "imperfections" like this? I think it would be very telling of their psyche...[/quote]

Well, in most artwork on this type (as seems often to be the case with most
art *anywhere*), to borrow a quote from _Blackadder The Third_:

BALDRICK: Well, my cousin, Bert Baldrick, Mr. Gainsborough's butler's
dogsbody, says he heard that all portraits look the same these days, since
they're painted to a romatic ideal, rather than as a true depiction of the
idiosyncratic facial qualities of the person in question.
["Duel and Duality"]

And if/when any flaws are portrayed, it's usually as part of making the
whole scene that much grungier. (Infamous Quote heard in convention
Art Room: "Does he always drag his paintings through a dungheap before
putting them on display?")

This panel does seem to be a "rara avis", so to speak. :)

(I'd have mine drawn up, but it's unpleasant enough to look at *before*
the battle-scars are applied.... :P )
CF
Csadn

Return to Nip and Tuck