Yeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaw

Postby Wanderwolf on Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:41 pm

BoKiana wrote:
Wanderwolf wrote:
<sigh> Would you people quit trying to find an implied subtext in my posts? Please? I don't do subtexts, whether spoken or written.


And yet, just a few threads ago you told me that you always seem to post on things assuming that others see it from your perspective and thus miss points and issues thereof, forcing us to read into your post for what it means if we don't have the same view as yours.

*shrug*


Oh, that's not subtext; that's being oblivious. :wink:

Yours truly,

The wolfish,

Wanderer
User avatar
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:18 pm
Location: Forney, TX, U.S.A.

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:00 pm

Earl McClaw wrote:
RHJunior wrote:Though I do not rejoice at his damnation, I am happy and relieved to see the final end of the reign of an unspeakably wicked man.

And his equally offensive sons before him.

I'm tempted to mention my concept for a slow, agonizing death. Okay, I will. Vivisection by microtome.


Been done (almost) with the Visible Human Project
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
User avatar
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 am
Location: Slightly south of Tampa, Florida

Postby LoneWolf23k on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:15 pm

As tasteless as the video is, it will prevent people (*cough*Moore*cough*) from starting conspiracy theories and urban myths such as saying Saddam didn't die, but was instead spirited away into hiding..

...They can't deny his body swining from the rope on camera.
LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 711
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:23 pm

BoKiana wrote:Wanderwolf, they're jumping on you because you're the one trying to explain how the trial was illegal on numerous different factions, be it US Trial, Iraqi Trial and whatnot. Make a claim, and there will be people here to argue it.

As for me, my jaw was slack when it was announced. I've been visiting my significant other for the weekend holidays, I was here on the computer surfing when CNN brought up the breaking news, and I yelled it out down the hall so my SO knew as well. I was suprised it happened so quickly.

I've been half-tempted to go see the uncensored video of his death, but I'm not quite that morbid. Saw the mini-clip on CNN, and that was enough for me.

I'm happy he's gone. You won't see me dancing on his grave, but only because I can't dance.


Why do people think that CNN shut their cameras down before Sadam did his little dance with eternity? I'd give a pretty to know what became of the raw footage they shot and if the Iraqi government had some HD quality tapes made for their own purposes.

As per dancing on his grave? Perhaps they could make a public urinal out of his mausoleum?
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
User avatar
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 am
Location: Slightly south of Tampa, Florida

Postby ChronicMisadventures on Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:27 am

LoneWolf23k wrote:As tasteless as the video is, it will prevent people (*cough*Moore*cough*) from starting conspiracy theories and urban myths such as saying Saddam didn't die, but was instead spirited away into hiding..

...They can't deny his body swining from the rope on camera.


Too late. Yes they can, conspiracy theorists can deny even the most blatant evidence at times. First few callers to Coast-to-Coast AM that night:

Caller 1: "This isn't the real Saddam. The real Saddam is alive. This was a duplicate."
(Guest Host) Ian Punnett: "Where's your proof? You need to have actual proof to make a claim like that."

Caller 2: "This isn't the real Saddam. I've compared photos from the video of the hanging to those of Saddam taken thirty years ago and this isn't the same person."

Caller 3: "This isn't the real Saddam. The real Saddam was smuggled into Syria by the Russians early in the war. That's why the Russians threw a fit when we hit that convey that turned out to be Russian officials."
Ian: "I keep telling you people, you need proof to make claims like that. Otherwise I can claim Brezhnev is alive and well and Reagan faked his own death."
Caller 3: "... but what you said doesn't make any sense..."

Caller 4: "Saddam is alive, this was a double they killed."
Ian: "Look, you need proof. Otherwise I can say Hitler's alive and living in South America."
Caller 4: "...well, I also heard that Saddam is actually a shapeshifting Reptiloid, and this hanging was all a farce so that he could leave Iraq and resume his place as the head of the Bavarian Illuminati."
Ian: "Ok, that one I'll believe."
"They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave." --Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
ChronicMisadventures
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:40 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby MikeVanPelt on Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:49 am

ChronicMisadventures wrote:
LoneWolf23k wrote:...They can't deny his body swining from the rope on camera.


Too late. Yes they can, conspiracy theorists can deny even the most blatant evidence at times. First few callers to Coast-to-Coast AM that night:


Oh, Coast-to-Coast. Phbbbt. There is no nonsense so unspeakably silly that it doesn't get broadcast nightly on Coast-to-Coast. It's the Weakly World News of radio.

(Weakly World News, on the day Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands, had a headline "HITLER IS ALIVE, AND AT AGE 90 MASTERMINDS THE FALKLANDS INVASION!!!" Coast-to-Coast ... isn't much different.)
User avatar
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:07 pm

Postby BoKiana on Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:41 am

Squeaky Bunny wrote:As per dancing on his grave? Perhaps they could make a public urinal out of his mausoleum?


Oooh, that idea I like. I REALLY like it. :3
Allow me to introduce myself--Corporal "Bo" Kiana, Ex-Army, "Warmongering Psychopath Tool!"
User avatar
BoKiana
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 134
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:28 pm

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:20 am

MikeVanPelt wrote:
ChronicMisadventures wrote:
LoneWolf23k wrote:...They can't deny his body swining from the rope on camera.


Too late. Yes they can, conspiracy theorists can deny even the most blatant evidence at times. First few callers to Coast-to-Coast AM that night:


Oh, Coast-to-Coast. Phbbbt. There is no nonsense so unspeakably silly that it doesn't get broadcast nightly on Coast-to-Coast. It's the Weakly World News of radio.

(Weakly World News, on the day Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands, had a headline "HITLER IS ALIVE, AND AT AGE 90 MASTERMINDS THE FALKLANDS INVASION!!!" Coast-to-Coast ... isn't much different.)


I wouldn't mind having a QSO with W6OBB.

Oh, Sharuuk, I found a new toy for you... http://www.laserturntable.com/
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
User avatar
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 am
Location: Slightly south of Tampa, Florida

Postby MikeVanPelt on Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:40 am

George Noory is a ham? I think I recall that Art Bell is.

I don't listen very much at all -- if I'm in the car when it's on, it is on the station my radio us usually tuned to. I may listen if they have a sane guest on. Most of the time, though, it's someone who makes Ben's nemesis Beltane sound perfectly normal. (Or Richard C. Hoagland, who is in a whole category of his own. Amusing, but... Is that guy serious?)
User avatar
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:07 pm

Postby ChronicMisadventures on Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:43 pm

MikeVanPelt wrote:
Oh, Coast-to-Coast. Phbbbt. There is no nonsense so unspeakably silly that it doesn't get broadcast nightly on Coast-to-Coast. It's the Weakly World News of radio.

(Weakly World News, on the day Argentina invaded the Falkland Islands, had a headline "HITLER IS ALIVE, AND AT AGE 90 MASTERMINDS THE FALKLANDS INVASION!!!" Coast-to-Coast ... isn't much different.)


My view of C2C is summed up easily with a quote from an old Shadowrun sourcebook:

>>>>> (I must say, I have found your constant chatter highly entertaining... and not unenlightening. So many significant insights, mixed in with so much dross. You ephemerals continue to amaze me. My congratulations.)<<<<< -Dunkelzahn (**:**:**/**:**:**)


Personally tho I wish they'd do more cryptozoology and less aliens, but that was my complaint regarding the X-Files (particularly the later seasons) as well. If nothing else though the show tends to make for something entertaining to listen to late at night.

...and yes, Hoagland is serious about his claims. There was a hilarious episode one night that Hoagland got involved in. The guest they had was a total nutcase, going on about how 9/11 is connected to JFK's assassination is connected to faking the moon landing and Penn & Teller are part of the conspiracy. (no, I'm not kidding, this guy claimed they were involved)

Well as soon as the guy started claiming the moon landing was fake, Hoagland called up the show and got put on to debate the guy. So on one side you've got "The moon landing was fake! It was a conspiracy!" and on the other you've got "No! The moon landing was real! The conspiracy was to alter the photos to hide the alien ruins!"
Became even more amusing when the guest kept misunderstanding Hoagland. Hoagland would say "ancient ruins" and the conspiracy nut would somehow translate this to "cities with green Martian women".
"They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave." --Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
ChronicMisadventures
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:40 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:39 pm

MikeVanPelt wrote:George Noory is a ham? I think I recall that Art Bell is.

I don't listen very much at all -- if I'm in the car when it's on, it is on the station my radio us usually tuned to. I may listen if they have a sane guest on. Most of the time, though, it's someone who makes Ben's nemesis Beltane sound perfectly normal. (Or Richard C. Hoagland, who is in a whole category of his own. Amusing, but... Is that guy serious?)



Dunno, Art is the one I'm thinking of. I got started on it when I was recovering from surgery some years ago.
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
User avatar
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 am
Location: Slightly south of Tampa, Florida

Postby MikeVanPelt on Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:51 pm

ChronicMisadventures wrote:...and yes, Hoagland is serious about his claims.


My first encounter with Hoagland was back in the 80s, when I was involved with the L-5 Society's attempt to get an initiative on the ballot in California saying that we wanted a space station. Hoagland was also involved, and he seemed reasonable to me at the time, though I didn't have much contact with him.

The second encounter was "The Thing in the Ring" episode after the Voyager flybys of Saturn. Some legitimate analysis of some of what was going on in the rings seemed to indicate that there was a rather ... substantial ... power source involved, far more than anything natural. (Anything sub-stellar, anyway.) Hoagland took this and ran with it, and had a fascinating slide show about it. Eventually, further analysis showed that the initial appearance was deceiving, and there wasn't any large amount of energy needed to explain what was going on after all.

At that time, Hoagland's reaction seemed entirely reasonable: "Oops, I guess we were all mistaken. Oh, well, it was fun while it lasted."

My impression of him was that he was enthusiastic and quick to jump on fun-looking stuff, but reasonable.

Then came the Face on Mars thing. Even the first picture, you really could see it was just a rock formation in half shadow, and only "looked like a face" if you assumed it was bilaterally symmetrical. He latched onto that in a big way... then when the later photos showed it in more detail in full light, that it was what everyone really expected it to be...

... He didn't let it go. He started off on this Conspiracy Theory Trip into the Ozone. Which was disappointing. I guess everyone needs a hobby.
User avatar
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:07 pm

Postby ChronicMisadventures on Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:26 pm

MikeVanPelt wrote:Then came the Face on Mars thing. Even the first picture, you really could see it was just a rock formation in half shadow, and only "looked like a face" if you assumed it was bilaterally symmetrical. He latched onto that in a big way... then when the later photos showed it in more detail in full light, that it was what everyone really expected it to be...

... He didn't let it go. He started off on this Conspiracy Theory Trip into the Ozone. Which was disappointing. I guess everyone needs a hobby.


However, he does occasionally get something right: With the recent NASA photos/commentary of 'possible evidence of liquid water on Mars' a month or so ago. Hoagland'd been claiming that for a couple years or so regarding previous photos of that area, for basically the same reasons NASA is now claiming.

...now, his recent claims of spotting a robot head on the moon in enhanced Apollo mission photos, on the other hand....
"They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave." --Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
ChronicMisadventures
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:40 pm
Location: Ohio

Previous

 

Return to Nip and Tuck



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest