My house, my rules. (RHJunior no longer mod)

Postby STrRedWolf on Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:49 am

Mods will be able to edit under the lock, if they lock it.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

Postby Calbeck on Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:09 pm

Mutant for Hire wrote:To those who claim that there may be partisanship here, I would feel much more comfortable about such accusations if one could show cases of left-of-center webcomic creators who locked down threads becaue people posted comments that said creators disagreed with.

Ahem. Although I think it's fairly irrelevant to most of what goes on on Keenspot, I have indeed seen a lot of this. Doonesbury, right off the bat, started out with a forum when it went online --- which Trudeau killed inside of a month specifically because people were complaining about his Republican-bashing. I've seen plenty of threads deleted on other boards when the creator took offense to a conservative's point of view, often coupled with the one-line rejoinder "this comic isn't supposed to be for YOU people anyways, so why are you here?", followed up with the inevitable accusation of trolling, which became the justification for the lockdowns and deletions.
Calbeck
Regular Poster

Postby TMLutas on Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:14 pm

Calbeck wrote:
Mutant for Hire wrote:To those who claim that there may be partisanship here, I would feel much more comfortable about such accusations if one could show cases of left-of-center webcomic creators who locked down threads becaue people posted comments that said creators disagreed with.

Ahem. Although I think it's fairly irrelevant to most of what goes on on Keenspot, I have indeed seen a lot of this. Doonesbury, right off the bat, started out with a forum when it went online --- which Trudeau killed inside of a month specifically because people were complaining about his Republican-bashing. I've seen plenty of threads deleted on other boards when the creator took offense to a conservative's point of view, often coupled with the one-line rejoinder "this comic isn't supposed to be for YOU people anyways, so why are you here?", followed up with the inevitable accusation of trolling, which became the justification for the lockdowns and deletions.

It's been my experience that the center right is much more tolerant of heterodox visitors including out and out leftists than leftists are in their own forums. YMMV
TMLutas
Regular Poster

Postby Mutant for Hire on Sat Dec 16, 2006 8:32 pm

It's been my experience that humorists who poke fun at the left and right are perceived as left-of-center by those on the right, whereas to be right-of-center means that poking fun at the right is not allowed.
Mutant for Hire
Regular Poster

Postby MikeVanPelt on Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:12 pm

Mutant for Hire wrote:It's been my experience that humorists who poke fun at the left and right are perceived as left-of-center by those on the right, whereas to be right-of-center means that poking fun at the right is not allowed.

Hm... The "Day By Day" cartoon pokes fun at left and right, but I sure perceive it as right-of-center; kind of coming from a "South Park Conservative" point of view. (The Leftist Chick has gotten a couple of zingers in on her Right-Wing Guy boyfriend lately. Though admittedly, they're of the "the guys on your side are sure doing some non-conservative things" slant.)
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:16 am

I think we need strips like Day By Day. It's a comic nearly anyone can enjoy because it's not afraid to nitpick both sides of the aisle, and keep them honest (or at least make both sides the butt of the joke :roll: ). So far as I can tell, the author only nitpicks stuff that most people will agree is bad behavior. If he picks on the left a bit more, this is either because he's biased towards the right wing... :roll: ...or the liberals just give him more cannon-fodder.

Take it how ya like it, the guy makes some good points.
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wanderwolf on Sun Dec 17, 2006 3:36 am

Narnian wrote:
Wanderwolf wrote:... I was raised Presbyterian ....

So there is hope for you yet! :wink:

Hey, now, we're the Cumberland sect... no predestination, so all bets are off. :wink:

More accurately, I'm just "Christian"; no one of the sects seems complete enough.
Wanderwolf
Regular Poster

Postby Hallan on Sun Dec 17, 2006 5:10 am

STrRedWolf wrote:During this time, though, I have an idea for everyone. Ralph said (ether here or another forum) that he has a tendency to lock threads with repeated arguments. This reminded me of the ever popular FAQ, or Frequently Asked Questions. How about a Frequently Argued Statements list? That way, folks can say "Oh, that's #4. Didn't you read the FAS?" Put it in another thread, and I'll have no problem making it sticky for everyone on the three forums.

On the surface, that sounds like a very good idea. On the other hand, it opens the door for the following scenario:

Person 1: Oh, that's #4. Didn't you read the FAS?
Person 2: *reads, then comes back and starts arguing again*

IMHO, the creation of an FAS would have to be handled (and worded) carefully.

Hallan
Hallan
Regular Poster

Postby BoKiana on Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:26 am

Well, as long as the FAS has a clause "No arguing For/Against/About each point in the FAS or your thread will be locked"

I'd say that referencing it to answer someone would be alright, but continuing after that would be walking the line. Maybe a warning from a mod that they're walking the line after that, and if they continue it then a threadlock would happen.

We'll have to wait and see how it works when the new mods are picked and the FAS is made.

But you are right, the idea for an FAS would require careful and precise wording.
Allow me to introduce myself--Corporal "Bo" Kiana, Ex-Army, "Warmongering Psychopath Tool!"
BoKiana
Regular Poster

Postby Deckard Canine on Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:31 am

Hm, there has been some debate on whether Team America: World Police is more conservative or liberal....
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby StrangeWulf13 on Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:53 pm

Even if the FAS is worded carefully, there will be idiots who neglect to read the line stating that arguing over the point will result in a warning and/or threadlock. :-? Never underestimate the willfully ignorant, especially in mass numbers.
I'm lost. I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait. Thanks.
StrangeWulf13
Cartoon Hero

A Question Regarding PHPBB2

Postby Timmy Ramone on Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:57 pm

Kisai wrote:PHPBB2 has to lock all the tables to edit or delete. When you try to delete a message it has to lock three tables and delete each word one at a time for the search table.

Here's a technical question, then: I can't delete posts (since I'm not an Admin), but I sometimes edit my own posts in order to make minor additions and/or spelling corrections. Given the above, is editing a Bad Thing?

Regardless, this information is very interesting. PHPBB2 is used by one of the groups on a server I manage. Granted, their userbase is nowhere near as large as Comics Genesis, but it is still good to know the "quirks" about this software.
Proud member of The Usual Suspects
Timmy Ramone
Dead Humanoid Walking

Postby Jace on Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:41 pm

I'll go out on a limb and say no, editting isn't bad.

It's not a question of activity so much as scope. Deletion of threads (especially multi-page ones) removes a lot more information than you ever could edit from one post.
Jace
Regular Poster

Postby STrRedWolf on Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:45 am

Editing your own post is fine. It's just deletion is bad on many fronts.
Kelly "STrRedWolf" Price
Admin, Comic Genesis
Artist/Writer, Stalag '99 (WolfSkunks and Drygers, oh my!)
I NEED MORE TIME, CAPTIN!
STrRedWolf
Confuzzled CG Admin
Confuzzled CG Admin

More PHPBB2 Geek-talk

Postby Timmy Ramone on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:05 pm

As long as we're on the subject... Is there a way to configure file uploads in PHPBB2 to work <i>without</i> setting the target directory as world-writeable? (One of our assistant admins had done this without my knowledge, and I had to chmod o-w on that directory for security reasons. But now uploads aren't working.) Would suexec work? Just wondering.
Proud member of The Usual Suspects
Timmy Ramone
Dead Humanoid Walking

Previous

Return to Nip and Tuck