New site layout

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:54 pm

Ah, Wayfarer's using IE7 then, the Firefox ripoff that looks like it once was an Apple program but fell into a running blender. Blargh. FIREFOX FOREVER!

Weird as it sounds, I used to dislike Firefox because I had mistaken it for that travesty, Netscape Navigator. And then I started designing websites a year ago and said "Better check to make sure this works in Firefox, too... all these crazy people are switching to this stupid program for some reason... Yes, I want the stupid program to load... boot it up... Oooh, spiffy. Now I see why everybody switches. OMG! TABS? TIFA!!! I <3 FIREFOX!!"

...yeah. Now I don't even bother to check if it works in IE anymore. Which is why Wayfarer had that little problem earlier. Doh. :o
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharuuk on Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:04 pm

Now this is weird.....I'm running IE7 and don't seem to have ANY kind of probs with it. Is it just me or my system? Seriously, I didn't have any problem loading the page or any others for that matter.

Zup'wit dis??

Şaaruuk
We are NOT surrounded.....this is a "target rich" environment!
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Dec 12, 2006 5:20 pm

Sharuuk wrote:Now this is weird.....I'm running IE7 and don't seem to have ANY kind of probs with it. Is it just me or my system? Seriously, I didn't have any problem loading the page or any others for that matter.

Zup'wit dis??

Şaaruuk

That's cause we fixered it already (well, mostly). Still some stuff left over to put together.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby The JAM on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:51 pm

MSIE 6 at the office, and Netscape/Mozilla/Firefox at home. It comes through loud and clear here as well.
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Solarfox on Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:46 pm

One problem I see with the layout is that the overall layout is too wide. Please try to keep in mind that not everyone maximizes their browser window on a 1280x1024 desktop. :) Ideally, readers should never be made to have to scroll horizontally to see the whole page if they're running at a reasonable window size -- in the past, this meant constraining your designs to render properly in an 800x600 window; nowadays, it's probably OK to aim for 1024x768, but the layout should still be checked at lower resolutions to make sure it degrades reasonably gracefully (i.e. major elements like the title banner should not be cut off on the right-hand side, nor should elements such as navigation buttons and links end up "hidden" offscreen until the user scrolls rightward.)
Solarfox
Regular Poster

Previous

Return to Nip and Tuck