New site layout

New site layout

Postby The JAM on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:20 am

Um...interesting rearrangement, Ralph, but the side bar is completely off the screen for me (MSIE, 1280x1024)
How is this coming out with everyone else's browsers?
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:25 am

Can you take a screenshot of it? I designed it for fixed-width right column and fluid center. It'd be nice to see what you've got of it.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wayfarer on Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:52 am

Ummm... don't know why, but the link to the forum from Nip and Tuck isn't showing up on the page for me...
In fact, I'm seeing the big new banner, the image for the day, and the navigation arrows, but nothing else. No links to the other comics, no calendar for the archives - nothing like that.
“The mirror may tell us what we are; memory may tell us what we were; but only the imagination can tell us what we might be.” – Donald Keesey

“You go whistling in the dark/ Making light of it/ Making light of it/ And I follow with my heart/ Laughing all the way// Oh 'cause you move me/ You get me dancing and you make me sing/ You move me/ Now I'm taking delight/ In every little thing/ How you move me”
~ "You Move Me"
Pierce Pettis, Gordon Kennedy
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:42 am

Wayfarer wrote:Ummm... don't know why, but the link to the forum from Nip and Tuck isn't showing up on the page for me...
In fact, I'm seeing the big new banner, the image for the day, and the navigation arrows, but nothing else. No links to the other comics, no calendar for the archives - nothing like that.

...:o

Can you take a screenshot?

The calendar, btw, I didn't add into the template I sent to Ralph (it was late, and I shorted myself too much on sleep as it was...) He said he'd add it later, along with the vote boxes and such. Oddly, the thing I DON'T see is the banner, which you've apparently got...
Attachments
webpage.gif
(164.89 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby The JAM on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:50 am

I can only see the links to the forum, etc., when it's not maximised.
Attachments
screenshot.JPG
(121.1 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:58 am

I'll work on it, though I have no idea why it looks that way...

BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Deckard Canine on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:30 am

For me, the sidebar is mostly off screen, with no way to scroll further left.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:34 am

Is this any different?

Would all the people having trouble happen to be using Microsoft Internet Explorer? I just ran the page on IE6 and I duplicated Wayfarer's problem (though why IE6 doesn't like it, I don't know).

BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby RHJunior on Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:53 am

I may just have to switch back to simpler HTML, is all.
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:27 am

For everybody: we've got a different version in cue which hopefully should fix this problem.

BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby The JAM on Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:36 am

Ah, there we go. Good job!
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Canis_lupus on Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:08 pm

Works fine for me on Firefox.
"I hate turtlenecks. Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy. All day. Like, if you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget trying to bring you down."

-Mitch Hedberg
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Location: Off some Turnpike in Jersey. check next to the landfill.

Postby MikeVanPelt on Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:01 pm

Looks fine to me in Firefox -- one thing I do miss that I haven't seen anyone else mention is that the date is no longer in the title bar of the window.
MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster

Postby Jaydub on Tue Dec 12, 2006 1:14 pm

Here are three samples. Firefox and IE6 started as 1152X854 and the IE7 started as 1024x768. Notice that Firefox keeps the left column at a fixed width and IE6 and IE7 do not. Hope this will help

IE6
http://gallery.walkercomputers.com/IE6.jpg

IE7
http://gallery.walkercomputers.com/IE7.jpg

Firefox
http://gallery.walkercomputers.com/firefox.jpg
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:19 pm

I see you got some Dire Straights going there in that last one. Good musical taste.

IE seems to be intent on giving me fits. The left column is supposed to be fixed width.

BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wayfarer on Tue Dec 12, 2006 2:49 pm

I see stuff now! Yayness for not having to sneak into the forum through windows and back doors. :D
And yeah, I'm using Internet Explorer - whatever the latest version is... I think :P .
“The mirror may tell us what we are; memory may tell us what we were; but only the imagination can tell us what we might be.” – Donald Keesey

“You go whistling in the dark/ Making light of it/ Making light of it/ And I follow with my heart/ Laughing all the way// Oh 'cause you move me/ You get me dancing and you make me sing/ You move me/ Now I'm taking delight/ In every little thing/ How you move me”
~ "You Move Me"
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby Canis_lupus on Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:15 pm

BrockthePaine wrote:I see you got some Dire Straights going there in that last one. Good musical taste.

IE seems to be intent on giving me fits. The left column is supposed to be fixed width.

IE sucks. its security is about as secure as a sleeping rent-a-cop. Plus Firefox has tabbed browsing witch makes everything easier.
"I hate turtlenecks. Wearing a turtleneck is like being strangled by a really weak guy. All day. Like, if you wear a turtleneck and a backpack, it's like a weak midget trying to bring you down."

-Mitch Hedberg
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Postby Wayfarer on Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:28 pm

Canis_lupus wrote:Plus Firefox has tabbed browsing witch makes everything easier.

My IE has tabbed browsing, too. But I'm not used to it, so I just find it annoying. I'd actually rather just open another window.

Tangential? :roll: Yes. Sneaking out through the secret tunnel now.

~ "You Move Me"
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby Canis_lupus on Tue Dec 12, 2006 3:46 pm

well i open about 25 comics at a time and go through the line so tabs work better for me. but i still don't trust IEs spam/pop-up blocker

-Mitch Hedberg
Canis_lupus
Regular Poster

Postby Jaydub on Tue Dec 12, 2006 4:48 pm

Wayfarer wrote:
Canis_lupus wrote:Plus Firefox has tabbed browsing witch makes everything easier.

My IE has tabbed browsing, too. But I'm not used to it, so I just find it annoying. I'd actually rather just open another window.

Tangential? :roll: Yes. Sneaking out through the secret tunnel now.

You are running IE7. Microsoft downloads IE7 as a security update for XP but you can uninstall IE7 and go back to IE6 if you prefer it. It's on my laptop but I use Firefox so I really don't care if it is on there or not. :roll:
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Nip and Tuck