Ion Storm

Ion Storm

Postby The JAM on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:04 pm

Drat, I thought they managed to jump to light speed.
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Madmoonie on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:25 pm

Oh, man....we were afraid of this. Because of this off the wall chance, they think its some 'hero of the ages' guy running around, probably trying to restart the rebellion.
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sciguy on Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:47 pm

And thus, another legend is created, by a complete foul up!
"I'm all for art even if it offends me, so long as it doesn't miss represent me." -Rob D.L.
Sciguy
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:07 am

Hey guys! I could use your help. As part of an assignment for school, I made a poster for Rebel Cry. Tell me what you think. Rebel Cry Poster. Thanks and have a merry IGLOO!!!
Jesus said to her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in Me, though he may die, he shall live. And whoever lives and believes in Me shall never die. Do you believe this?' John 11: 25-26
----
Want a new avatar? Contact me and I can set you up with a new sig pic or avatar, totally FREE!
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby Tigermark on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:22 am

Sciguy wrote:And thus, another legend is created, by a complete foul up!

You'll find, if the truth is told, most legends and heroes are just guys or gals trying to get out of a really bad situation that they've found themsleves in, usually because they were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. They then do what they have to to survive, or at least do what has to be done to achieve whatever other goal they have, be it the survival of a friend or loved one, or a nation, or an ideal. It doesn't make then any less a legend or hero, but very few went looking for the chance to be one.

TM

(I love the smell of fried battleship in the morning . . . it smells . . . like burnt insulation, yuch!)
Tiger, tiger, burning bright...
Tigermark

Postby Csadn on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:52 am

[quote="Sciguy"]And thus, another legend is created, by a complete foul up![/quote]

In my button collection lives the following:

"Heroes have an infinite capacity for Stupidity. Thus are Legends born."
CF
Csadn

Postby Luna_Northcat on Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:09 am

Madmoonie wrote:Hey guys! I could use your help. As part of an assignment for school, I made a poster for Rebel Cry. Tell me what you think. Rebel Cry Poster. Thanks and have a merry IGLOO!!!

Good poster! But I think it needs something to break up all that white space -- besides the ship, I mean. Just a bit more background, not so much extending the rectangle with the stars as putting some color in behind it, or maybe a streak or slash of something from upper left to lower right. Something which cuts across the boxy look will really draw the eye.

On a side note, I would SO go see this movie!!!!
<i>Forte est vinu. Fortier est rex. Fortiores sunt mulieres: sup om vincit veritas.</i>
Luna_Northcat
Regular Poster

Postby Jaydub on Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:04 am

That or it was missing the "Hey ya' all, watch this" before he started..... :)
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams
Jaydub
Regular Poster

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:01 am

Maybe they should be playing Prokofiev's "Lieutenant Kijé" now?
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Postby Deckard Canine on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:25 am

I'm reminded somewhat of 3 Days of the Condor, in which the protagonist does a good job of eluding his enemy partly because he's untrained and therefore unpredictable. The key difference there is that the enemy knew it was amateurity, not expertise.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster

Postby The JAM on Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:30 am

[...unWARP!!!]

Good evening.

Among our national heroes, we have the Niños Héroes ("child" heroes). I don't know why we call them "children" since they were all over 16, I think. During the Mexican-American war, American troops stormed Chapultepec Castle, and those 4 cadets were among the only troops remaining there. Traditional historians say that one of them, knowing they were doomed, climbed up to the topmost tower, where the flagpost was, took down the flag, wrapped himself up with it, and jumped some 50 meters to his death, all because he preferred to die with the flag than to have it be taken by the Americans. "And, the American soldiers saw that, and were awed by his patriotism..."

That all sounds very patriotic, doesn't it? However, recently, some documents have surfaced that are giving a new spin to that story. It COULD have been that the cadet really wanted to hide the flag, but it was so large that he had trouble folding it and a sudden wind gust caused him to get tangled with it, and as he struggled to unwrap himself, he fell over the rampart.

Heh, THIS is the stuff that legends are made of :D

¡Zacatepóngolas!

Until next time, remember:

I

AM

THE

J.A.M. (a.k.a. Numbuh i. "Just because I'm imaginary doesn't mean I don't exist")

Good evening.

[WARP!!!]
The JAM
Cartoon Hero

Postby Earl McClaw on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:53 am

I knew it. I knew it! I knew it!

Fried battleship, inaccurate reputation (could the Rebel's captain dump that one on the kid?), unpredictable escape... fun movie!

Now I have to wonder if the "massive discharge" has shut off the battleship's interdiction field and the Rebel Cry can jump again...
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby LoneWolf23k on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:00 pm

Ayep. Never underestimate how much Dumb Luck can contribute to a hero's success.
LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster

Postby Jwrebholz on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:06 pm

LoneWolf23k wrote:

Ayep. Never underestimate how much Dumb Luck can contribute to a hero's success.

It's been said the most important thing to have on the battlefield is luck.
^ the above was me sounding like I know WTF I'm talking about.
Jwrebholz
Regular Poster

Postby NydaLynn on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:27 am

The JAM wrote:[...unWARP!!!]

Good evening.

Among our national heroes, we have the Niños Héroes ("child" heroes). I don't know why we call them "children" since they were all over 16, I think. During the Mexican-American war, American troops stormed Chapultepec Castle, and those 4 cadets were among the only troops remaining there. Traditional historians say that one of them, knowing they were doomed, climbed up to the topmost tower, where the flagpost was, took down the flag, wrapped himself up with it, and jumped some 50 meters to his death, all because he preferred to die with the flag than to have it be taken by the Americans. "And, the American soldiers saw that, and were awed by his patriotism..."

That all sounds very patriotic, doesn't it? However, recently, some documents have surfaced that are giving a new spin to that story. It COULD have been that the cadet really wanted to hide the flag, but it was so large that he had trouble folding it and a sudden wind gust caused him to get tangled with it, and as he struggled to unwrap himself, he fell over the rampart.

Heh, THIS is the stuff that legends are made of :D

¡Zacatepóngolas!

Until next time, remember:

I

AM

THE

J.A.M. (a.k.a. Numbuh i. "Just because I'm imaginary doesn't mean I don't exist")

Good evening.

[WARP!!!]

Ah, irony!
"Que Sera Sera..."
<a href="http://nydalynn.deviantart.com"> Deviant Art stuff</a>
NydaLynn
Regular Poster

Postby Hortmage on Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:37 pm

Mark Twain once said: "It is strange the way the ignorant and inexperienced so often and so undeservedly succeed when the informed and the experienced fail."

Link
Hortmage, The Magic Gardener
Making Environmental Education Fun AND Magical!
Hortmage
Regular Poster

Postby Earl McClaw on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:22 pm

jwrebholz wrote:
LoneWolf23k wrote:

It's been said the most important thing to have on the battlefield is luck.

It seems Napoleon agreed with you.

There's an apocryphal story about Napoleon Boneparte, who, on being told the virtues of a new general - the man's heroism, bravery, skill in battle and so on - waved his hand impatiently. "That's all very well," he said, "but is he lucky?"

Napoleon regarded luck as a personal attribute rather than a matter of chance. A lucky person would always win out over adverse circumstances, he believed, whereas an unlucky person - even a general who was expert in the techniques of war - was fated to meet with failure and disaster on the battlefield.

And no, I couldn't find a web page that had just that story - or didn't open it to ridicule due to the content on the rest of the page/site.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby Madmoonie on Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:28 pm

Luck favors the prepared.
----
Madmoonie
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:30 am

I believe Churchill said: True tactical genius is in getting the results of a plan without resorting to the inflexibility of a plan.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby LoneWolf23k on Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:58 am

BrockthePaine wrote:I believe Churchill said: True tactical genius is in getting the results of a plan without resorting to the inflexibility of a plan.

In other words.. "It's not so much a plan as a vague notion..." (Which I could remember where I got that quote from)
LoneWolf23k
Regular Poster

Next

Return to Nip and Tuck