Bad Vibrations 12/4

Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Post by Kerry Skydancer »

I'll bet that the problem is that you're just a kid, Celidah.

Yep, the TOS suffers from an overdose of cheese today - but not by then-current standards!! You go back to 1969, and watch the full lineup of programming, and you will rapidly discover that, for its era, it was head and shoulders above the rest. That is why it had a cult following. It's not good by modern standards, by any means. But it was the first Science Fiction TV show that wasn't either an anthology series or just god-awful slop (cf Lost In Space). Those of us who lived through the era still feel nostalgic about it, even now after much better stuff is available.
Skydancer

Ignorance is not a point of view.

Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero

Post by Squeaky Bunny »

The scene I'd love to see is where Scotty is standing in front of a map of Cardiff and saying,

Captain, thar be Wales here.
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:

MikeVanPelt
Regular Poster

Post by MikeVanPelt »

Kerry Skydancer wrote:I'll bet that the problem is that you're just a kid, Celidah.

Yep, the TOS suffers from an overdose of cheese today - but not by then-current standards!! You go back to 1969, and watch the full lineup of programming, and you will rapidly discover that, for its era, it was head and shoulders above the rest.
Exactly.

Much to my regret, I got rid of the E. E. "Doc" Smith "Skylark" books because of the cheese factor. I'd liked the "Lensman" books a whole lot, but "Skylark" exceeded even my cheese tolerance.

Then I found out when they were written. The first one in 1918. I would like to get them and read them again, keeping that in mind.

Celidah the Bardess
Regular Poster

Post by Celidah the Bardess »

Kerry Skydancer wrote:I'll bet that the problem is that you're just a kid, Celidah.

Yep, the TOS suffers from an overdose of cheese today - but not by then-current standards!! You go back to 1969, and watch the full lineup of programming, and you will rapidly discover that, for its era, it was head and shoulders above the rest. That is why it had a cult following. It's not good by modern standards, by any means. But it was the first Science Fiction TV show that wasn't either an anthology series or just god-awful slop (cf Lost In Space). Those of us who lived through the era still feel nostalgic about it, even now after much better stuff is available.
*sob* It's true! I'm so young! I'm a Star Trek baby! *cries in humiliation*

Seriously, though, good point. Admittedly, I wasn't around then, and I hadn't considered the standards of TOS's contemporaries. Perhaps in 30 years people will be looking back at Enterprise and saying, "Man, that was cheesy."

Wait, they're already saying that. *runs and hides*