Draft comming again?

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:52 am

*Laughs* *Chokes* *Coughing fit* *Laughs again*
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby Calbeck on Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:02 am

Celidah the Bardess wrote:I doubt the joke would have gone over well even if *ahem ahem* delivered correctly.


I thought the most telling point was that, as originally delivered, the joke STILL got serious laughs from the Democrat audience.
User avatar
Calbeck
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: The Land of AZ

Postby RHJunior on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:19 am

StrangeWulf13 wrote:One of the dangers of posting on this forum is that should you comment on any war, past or present, you're likely to gain the attention of the veterans and real soldiers here (or their relatives in the latter case).

:twisted: And should your opinion differ from theirs, they will tell you just how much crow you'll have to eat...


Which is one of the things that keeps surprising me.... how many soldiers, past and present, I keep getting in my forums here. Darned if I know what to make of it.
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: WV

Postby Calbeck on Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:59 am

RHJunior wrote:Which is one of the things that keeps surprising me.... how many soldiers, past and present, I keep getting in my forums here. Darned if I know what to make of it.


We're naturally attracted to patriotism, straight talk, and fat bears? -:D
User avatar
Calbeck
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: The Land of AZ

Postby Frigidmagi on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:19 am

For me it was the Gator-Taurs being split in half and the Hero praying afterwards. Reminded of me of Iraq for some reason.

Nip and Tuck are just that bloody funny however.
Frigidmagi
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:23 am

Postby Deckard Canine on Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:24 am

frigidmagi wrote:Nip and Tuck are just that bloody funny however.


Not to mention that Nip has a thing for explosives and other weaponry.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:21 am
Location: DC

Postby Frigidmagi on Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:21 pm

He needs to convert to C4 more blast for less weight then the TNT he's always using.
Frigidmagi
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:23 am

Postby The JAM on Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:56 pm

Perhaps, but I hear C4 is rather hard to come by...............uh...is it?
User avatar
The JAM
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2281
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Somewhere in Mexico...

Postby Frigidmagi on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:39 pm

I've seen Civilan Demo crews use it... Although I think you need a lisence to use it and with good reason. It's over twice as powerful as TNT. A 1 pound block of it is good enough to turn a full grown man into a pink mist. Not something to play around with if you don't know what you're doing.
Frigidmagi
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:23 am

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:43 pm

frigidmagi wrote:I've seen Civilan Demo crews use it... Although I think you need a lisence to use it and with good reason. It's over twice as powerful as TNT. A 1 pound block of it is good enough to turn a full grown man into a pink mist. Not something to play around with if you don't know what you're doing.


Sharuuk claims to have cooked with C4. I know you can fish with it, but you end up with chowder instead of filets.
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
User avatar
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 am
Location: Slightly south of Tampa, Florida

Postby Frigidmagi on Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:40 am

Yes actually you can cook with it. We used captured Iraqi C4 to make coffee from our MRE packs.

C4 requires both heat and pressure to explode. You can stomp a riverdance on it, or light it on fire and barbecue with it, but you can't do both at once unless you want to explain why to the good Lord.

C4 is rather stable for an explosive another reason why the military prefers it. Rumor is that it can take a bullet and not explode. As you can guess however, I never tested that. There's a limit to how far I'm willing to go.
Frigidmagi
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:23 am

Postby BrockthePaine on Sat Dec 09, 2006 9:06 am

Believe it's easier to get Semtex on the black market than C4, and Semtex is a wee bit more powerful.
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby NydaLynn on Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:20 am

BrockthePaine wrote:Believe it's easier to get Semtex on the black market than C4, and Semtex is a wee bit more powerful.

Now... does powerful mean less stable?
"Que Sera Sera..."
<a href="http://nydalynn.deviantart.com"> Deviant Art stuff</a>
User avatar
NydaLynn
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:50 am
Location: Amish Country, PA

Postby ChronicMisadventures on Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:26 pm

NydaLynn wrote:
ChronicMisadventures wrote:Btw, the liberals out in...think it was San Francisco...have axed the JROTC program from high schools there, claiming the military's 'don't ask, don't tell' policy as a reason.

*blink blink* Really? Sounds kind of odd to me. It's a school program that is optional for students to join. It's not like they require everyone to sign up.


Doesn't really matter to the San Fran loonies. They're the same ones who banned a WWII warship-turned-museum from being permanently docked in their city as "a protest of the Iraq War". ...Navy's finally getting sick of this behavior and has now cancelled the commissioning ceremony for one of their new ships and moved the ceremony, and the home port (and related jobs) to San Diego instead.

MikeVanPelt wrote:Weird. Do the Democrats plan to just write off the military vote entirely?


Some of them would if they could. One of the ways Gore could've won Florida in 2000 was if you threw out _all_ of the overseas military votes in that state. And I've had liberals suggest that should've been done, with one of them insisting that "the military forces all soldiers to vote Republican. They force all veterans to vote Republican too under threat of forcing them back to active duty" :roll:
"They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave." --Malcolm Reynolds, Serenity
ChronicMisadventures
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:40 pm
Location: Ohio

Postby Squeaky Bunny on Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:47 pm

NydaLynn wrote:
BrockthePaine wrote:Believe it's easier to get Semtex on the black market than C4, and Semtex is a wee bit more powerful.

Now... does powerful mean less stable?


The Semtex or the commando holding it?
Honesty is the best policy, but insanity is a better defence. :shucks:
User avatar
Squeaky Bunny
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:44 am
Location: Slightly south of Tampa, Florida

Postby Timmy Ramone on Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:46 pm

Calbeck wrote:When President Ford asked Congress to allow US forces to defend our South Vietnamese ally, the Democrats who controlled it refused.

So we didn't "lose" the Second Vietnamese Civil War either; we simply chose not to be involved...which was a stupid decision, according to General Giap, who finally admitted a few years ago North Vietnam would have collapsed within a year of fighting due to a near-total lack of manpower.


With respect to Ford, that's not entirely true (as you'll see in a moment). And I suspect that quote from Gen. Giap is either incorrect or completely out of context. In an interview with the Wall Street Journal (3 Aug 1995) Bui Tin, who served on the general staff of North Vietnam's army, said the following with respect to Gen. Giap:

Our losses were staggering and a complete surprise. Giap later told me that Tet had been a military defeat, though we had gained the planned political advantages when Johnson agreed to negotiate and did not run for re-election. The second and third waves in May and September were, in retrospect, mistakes. Our forces in the South were nearly wiped out by all the fighting in 1968. It took us until 1971 to re-establish our presence, but we had to use North Vietnamese troops as local guerrillas. If the American forces had not begun to withdraw under Nixon in 1969, they could have punished us severely. We suffered badly in 1969 and 1970 as it was.


But Bui Tin also added the following observation:

Well, when Nixon stepped down because of Watergate we knew we would win. Pham Van Dong [prime minister of North Vietnam] said of Gerald Ford, the new president, "he's the weakest president in U.S. history; the people didn't elect him; even if you gave him candy, he doesn't dare to intervene in Vietnam again." We tested Ford's resolve by attacking Phuoc Long in January 1975. When Ford kept American B-52's in their hangers, our leadership decided on a big offensive against South Vietnam.


So should we now also blame Ford for "losing" Vietnam? That would be ridiculous, of course. But so is blaming the Democrats for "losing" a war that this country should never have started in the first place.

It seems to me that this attempt to blame the Democrats for "losing" Vietnam is just a roundabout way to try to blame them for "losing" Iraq. The Democrats, however, aren't taking the bait this time around. At this point the Dems appear ready to keep funding the Iraq occupation, as long as they keep getting budget requests from Bush. They correctly assume that if U.S. forces are still fighting and dying in Iraq two years hence, their candidate will win the White House (can you say President Hilary?). Unless there is some radical change in the situation, then defeat in Iraq is just as inevitible as it was in Vietnam -- only this time around the Democrats are going to make sure Republicans take the fall. (I should note that I don't approve of this tactic -- but that's another discussion.)

And, finally, Gen. Giap had some observations on the Iraq conflict. At a press conference in 2004 he said:

Any forces that would impose their will on other nations will certainly face defeat. All nations fighting for their legitimate interests and sovereignty will surely win.
Proud member of The Usual Suspects
Timmy Ramone
Dead Humanoid Walking
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:33 am

Postby Deckard Canine on Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:15 am

Speaking of Ford: May he rest in peace now.
Deckard Canine
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:21 am
Location: DC

Postby Namrepus221 on Sun Dec 31, 2006 7:22 pm

Does anyone know the words to "Oh Canada!"????

(Yes I know the chances are slim to nill that something like a draft will ever happen within my lifetime, but if it does happen.....)
Namrepus221
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:14 pm

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

Postby RHJunior on Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:41 pm

Formula for guncotton:

one unit of cotton or cotton cloth to 15 units of a 2:1 mix of sulfuric acid and Nitric acid. soak the cotton material in the acid mix; drain, then rinse under running cold water till a ph strip registers completely neutral. dry in a cool, dry place out of direct sunlight.

Four times as powerful as black powder; moldable and therefore usable as a plastic explosive; capable of detonating even when wet..... nasty stuff.

It will interest you to know that BOTH brothers know how to make several homemade explosives, including black powder and guncotton, and can craft their own field expedient weapons using basic garage tools and materials, ranging from a bow and arrow to a <a href="http://www.thehomegunsmith.com/">9 millimeter semiautomatic.</a>
"What was that popping noise ?"
"A paradigm shifting without a clutch."
--Dilbert
RHJunior
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1689
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: WV

Postby Axelgear on Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:19 pm

Shock Explosive. Solid Nitric Iodine and Mr.Clean. Mix in equal amounts and refrigerate overnight. Pour off the sludge in the morning, and you have a rather unstable explosive. Throw it at anything and BOOM!

Sorry, just wanted to contribute
Astronomer. Sketch Artist. All-around generally creative and useless guy.
User avatar
Axelgear
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 235
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 3:30 am

PreviousNext

 

Return to Nip and Tuck



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron