THE RP THREAD!!! *sparkle sparkle*

Postby Calbeck on Fri Sep 01, 2006 4:41 am

From a position about three meters to the rear of Captain Ferguson, someone cleared his throat.

There, floating in zero-g, was Roy, looking altogether too smug.

"You Terrans sure like ta flip around with teleport tech, don'cha?"

Fergie did a complete double-take, which had the effect of starting him on a slow uncontrolled leftward spin in midair. He grabbed for a stanchion to level himself out, giving the intruding unicorn a glare fit to roast a Thanksgiving dinner.

"How the HELL do you do that, anyways?"

Roy shrugged and continued to float along nonchalantly. "Havin' talked with other unicorns, it seems that teleportation is a natural thing with us. Whenever you guys flip around, I jus' tag along fer th' ride. Kinda like a kid on skates snaggin' a truck with a lariat as it goes by. Less pavement involved, tho'."

He turned to look around the interior of the cabin. "Pretty sparse, wouldn't'cha say?"

Fergie finally righted himself and maintained the glare, still trying to come to grips with the situation. "They were nice enough to leave guns on it, at any rate...and you've explained the HOW, but not the WHY."

Roy pushed off the far wall lightly, coasting effortlessly forward towards the cockpit. "Well, I WAS gonna go home an' see about roustin' up some help, but yer teleport arc actually intercepted me on th' first leg. Like smackin' inta a giant rubber band. Figured I'd see what was goin' on at your end before I headed off, as long as I was in th' neighborhood..."

The unicorn reached out a hand to slow himself as he brushed the cockpit door. "That, plus from what I've seen our tech really isn't up ta th' needed specs. I can't risk our ships if they'd do no good in a fight; they're irreplaceable."

He turned and opened the door, pulling himself inside. "So, what can this here crate do, anyways?"
User avatar
Calbeck
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: The Land of AZ

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:29 am

Calbeck wrote:He turned and opened the door, pulling himself inside. "So, what can this here crate do, anyways?"

Fergie glanced at the unicorn, and then floated to the ship commander's seat. "Well, my grasp of naval tactics isn't the best, since I used to be Special Forces, but from everything I know, destroyers are the lightweight fleet units, meant for speed, stealth, and ambush more than anything else. Ooh, they left me a MANUAL, how kind of them! Anyways, this one's from the American fleet in the Terran Guard - let's see, specifications... ah. Length is 822.4 feet, width 345 feet, and height, 117 feet. Hyperdrive SHOULD have been a Class J, but right now I think she's got a E-class hyperdrive - 100 light years in a standard Earth hour. She's also got a Glitter-Drive, which is a sort of alternate hyperdrive we've invented - instead of entering a hyperspace window, the window forms around the ship and envelops it - basically we can make microjumps into, say, the core of an asteroid and let the Glitter-Drive carve a cavern for us to appear in."

Fergie paused and continued reading. "Reactors, we've got one artificial singularity reactor - power provided courtesy of a miniature black hole, huzzah. That pumps shields, engines, weapons, gravitics - if we HAD gravitics - and life support. Engines, by the way, are capable of 200G's of acceleration and maneuvering... but we can only hit 10Gs unless we install artificial gravity."

Fergie brought up a holographic image of the ship, ten feet long, in the holographic "pit" in front of the captain's chair, then got up to point stuff out. "The artificial gravity should be easy to install, if I can get the Viledarian NanoForge we captured on the frigate working so I can make the rods. Terran ships, you see, are built around a central rod of artificial gravity, and the decks wrap around that like layers of an onion."

"Oh yes, and I forgot our armament. Basic stuff - Ion Cannons and Energy Torpedoes - but we've also got a one-shot Cosmic Lance. You ever blown up a star system before, Major?"
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby Fusion on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:24 pm

Sitting on a couch, Xenda watches Ben pace restlessly as they wait in S'aaruuk's living room for news on the situation. Although he moved with surprising quietness for his weight, the constant motion and padding of his feet was beginning to get on her nerves.

“Ben, would you sit down? You're driving me nuts!” she pats the couch beside her.

He stops and sits down muttering an apology, but soon starts having trouble sitting still.

“Ben, would you please try to relax?” she puts her hand on his shoulder. “You aren't doing any good getting all wound up right now.”

As he lets out a sigh, she feels his muscles loosen up a bit.

“I know, I know. I just hate the uncertainty.”

She couldn't argue with that.

“Do you think it's going to come to another fight?”

“Most likely.” He turns to face her and puts his hand on her shoulders, “Do me a favor and stay out of this one? I don't want you getting hurt.”

“Ben, I...” he suddenly motions for her to pause for a bit as he listens to S'aaruuk's message over the link.

“Copy S'aaruuk! I'm already here. I just have to grab a couple things from my truck and I'll be ready.”

She nods knowingly. Time for another fight. Running out to The Tank, he grabs the Barrett Rifle and the short Zanbatō he had made using scrap from the Viledarian ship in the past week.
User avatar
Fusion
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:16 pm
Location: My own little world

Postby Kerry Skydancer on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:28 pm

Sharuuk wrote:
"Attention anyone and everyone on this link....we have a situation involving more Viledarians taking more prisoners in what appear to be at least 8 ambushes along Rt 470....they have a ship hidden in the deep woods in a valley somewhere that probably has the prisoners aboard."

"I'm now headed back to the estate for some supplies and need all who can hear me to meet me there ASAP.....anyone copying this transmission, please respond."

The big alien wolf gained altitude and speed as he repeated the call......his jaws clenched and face grim as he anticipated what might be coming up in the very near future.


The bat was the next to answer. "Skydancer here. I can meet you there in about twenty minutes. Do you have any idea where they're hiding?"

"Not yet. I've got some ideas, but we'll have to track them down."

"That's what I was afraid of, Perfesser. Lauril was out of it pretty badly, but it sounded like one of them deliberately let her go. Sounds like a fifth column on their side - what do you know about the Villedarians? Any resistance movements to their government? I'd kinda like to take the fight back to them if we can."
Last edited by Kerry Skydancer on Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1346
Joined: Sun Oct 24, 2004 6:03 pm
Location: Bethlehem PA

Postby Sharuuk on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:02 pm

"That's what I was afraid of, Perfesser. Lauril was out of it pretty badly, but it sounded like one of them deliberately let her go. Sounds like a fifth column on their side - what do you know about the Villedarians? Any resistance movements to their government? I'd kinda like to take the fight back to them if we can."

"That's what Mrs. Cobb believes as well....I'm going to have her brief everyone once they've arrived since she's the one who talked to Lauril longest and got the most info......as to a possible fifth column within the Viledarians, I have no idea, but it would seem so."

After a short pause.

"I'm not anxious to take on the whole Viledarian Empire.....but if there is a rising resistance within, there could be some valuable intel in this somewhere....as well as unexpected allies."

"I'm 5 min from the estate....see you there.....Circuit, out."
User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Postby Calbeck on Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:58 pm

BrockthePaine wrote:Fergie glanced at the unicorn, and then floated to the ship commander's seat. "Well, my grasp of naval tactics isn't the best, since I used to be Special Forces..."


Roy nods, his mane bobbing weightlessly. "I was a tanker mosta my career, still am, but I hadda pick up some basics on naval concepts when they stuck me with Operation Aegis. Some ridiculous regulation about not teachin' cadets somethin' ya don't know yerself."

She's also got a Glitter-Drive, which is a sort of alternate hyperdrive we've invented - instead of entering a hyperspace window, the window forms around the ship and envelops it - basically we can make microjumps into, say, the core of an asteroid and let the Glitter-Drive carve a cavern for us to appear in."


The unicorn whistles appreciatively. "If I tried that with a Kearny-Fuchida Drive, I'd do nothin' but make a very short-lived mini-star."

Engines, by the way, are capable of 200G's of acceleration and maneuvering... but we can only hit 10Gs unless we install artificial gravity."


"Impressive by home standards --- not so impressive here, I imagine. I don't like th' idea o' limpin' around if th' bad guys are likely ta have better accel. Never used A-grav myself, though --- back home, it's jus' basic thrust, although th' larger ships have spinnin' decks ta simulate gravity. Those always tended ta give me a headache, though".

Fergie brought up a holographic image of the ship, ten feet long, in the holographic "pit" in front of the captain's chair, then got up to point stuff out.


Roy nodded as various items and concepts were explained.

"Oh yes, and I forgot our armament. Basic stuff - Ion Cannons and Energy Torpedoes - but we've also got a one-shot Cosmic Lance. You ever blown up a star system before, Major?"


The unicorn looked up, blue eyes dead cold. "Not back home, I haven't...not lookin' ta have a first time, either. 'Specially not anywhere around THIS star system, Captain."
User avatar
Calbeck
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: The Land of AZ

Postby BrockthePaine on Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:13 pm

Gil listened to the chatter on his phone and decided to head to the professor's house. With Fergie stuck around Uranus, Gil wasn't entirely certain what he should do. Fergie's rifle was still sitting in the front seat, and Gil at least knew how to use it; but Gil was, after all, only an author and historian.

Taking the bonefone, Gil started talking. "I'm on my way to the house myself, gentlemen. I've alerted the police and they appear to be sending a helicopter to search the area. If there's an enemy ship in the region, perhaps we should call the chopper off to avoid alerting them, or even endangering the police..."

___________________

Calbeck wrote:The unicorn looked up, blue eyes dead cold. "Not back home, I haven't...not lookin' ta have a first time, either. 'Specially not anywhere around THIS star system, Captain."

Fergie nodded slowly. "Well, unfortunately, we've had to. I haven't had to do it myself, but I've seen it done. Anyway, a cosmic lance can do that at full power: it's basically a modified hyperspace window. Nasty little tweaks made to it which... well, it was described to me as ripping apart the warp and weft of the fabric of the universe. It can operate on very high power, or very low power... say fine enough to use as an antiship gun. Nasty weapon... I hope we don't have to use it on a grand scale."
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby Spacewolfomega on Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:20 am

Omega sat down in the command chair... something he had done countless times over the last week as he and his friends had repaired and tested the Wolfstar... only this time it felt different. Not different, really... but familiar... all too familiar. In an instant, he felt as if he were back on Sirius VII, preparing for another sortie against Viledarian invaders. He looked up at the pilot's chair in front of him, half expecting to see Trellix, but seeing Mac instead.

"We ready, skipper?" Mac said.

Omega glanced over at Aldar, sitting next to Mac in the weapons chair. Aldar's face was confident and even eager with the prospect of taking to the skies once again. Omega wondered if he wore the same expression. It had been too long.

"She's all yours, Mac," Omega replied. "You've mastered the simulations... now let's see the real thing."

Mac turned to his controls and rubbed his hands together. "Alright, baby," he began addressing the Wolfstar, "it's time to fly."

Mac worked the controls with ease and there was a hushed hum as the Wolfstar stirred to life. A moment later he activated the vertical engines and the ship rumbled gently and a whispered roar began to fill the air.

"Everybody ready?" Omega called back through the intercom.

"Ready," Sebastis replied from the loading bay.

"Here we go!" Mac called out.

Lift off. There was a moment where everyone held their breath... fingers crossed... prayers being said... but everything worked perfectly. Once fully airborne, Aldar let out a shout.

"Whoo-hoo!"

Everyone joined in. "We did it!" "Back in action!" "Alright!"

Once the initial excitement had settled down, Omega began speaking.

"Okay, everyone... the Viledarians have some kind of encampment established where they're conducting some sort of experiments on their captives. From what Aldar's told us, we can expect that if the Viledarians succeed there won't be many of the captives left alive... or without permanent disability... from the process..."

He paused as everyone considered the dreadful possibilities.

"We've got to find it and shut it down. We've got a general idea of where it is, thanks to the information Lauril provided S'aaruuk. He'll have more information to give us along the way. Once we find it the Wolfstar will concentrate on any defenses the camp may have established... Sebastis and Hope will disembark... Sebastis will focus on ground forces while Hope rounds up the captives. I'm not sure who else will be there as support, but we'll find out on our way there and coordinate our efforts as necessary."

By the Great Alpha... it was just like old times...

"And Aldar, Sebastis... we're not interested in taking Viledarians as prisoners."
User avatar
Spacewolfomega
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 9:18 am
Location: Winchester, KY

Postby BrockthePaine on Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:17 am

Gil wondered if Omega had intentionally left the comm open to let everybody hear his words. He cleared his throat as he drove up the professor's driveway, seeing the Wolfstar rising quietly in the distance.

"Omega, I believe Kerry said that some of the Viledarians helped Lauril escape. Now "take no prisoners" sounds great in the movies, but in real life, it's not only stupid, it's rather illegal in this country..."
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby Spacewolfomega on Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:17 am

Omega listened to Gil's words, but shook his head. He had sounded like that once... before the war... before seeing his fellows blown to smithereens in front of him... before encountering all the booby-trapped innocents the Viledarians had left behind as "presents".

Suddenly he was shaken back to reality.

"Gil... wait... a Viledarian helped Lauril escape?"

"That's right," Gil replied. "So, you might want to..."

"By the Great Alpha," Omega interrupted. "somebody needs to check Lauril out and fast!"

"What do you mean?"

"The Viledarians never let anyone escape! If she was set free, it's only because they wanted her to wander back here and for us to pick her up! Lauril's in incredible danger! Anyone around her is in serious danger right now as well!"

Gil started to respond.

"Look," Omega countered immediately. "I appreciate the sentiment, alright... but you don't know these guys like I do. They don't play fair, they don't have any respect for life and they are ruthless as hell! Now somebody has got to do a thorough check of her... somebody with more advanced medical technology than what Earth typically has. The doctors could've missed something. Maybe S'aaruuk?" He hoped that S'aaruuk was listening in.

Omega muted the comlink and uttered a vile curse and immediately felt ashamed for it. He looked up at Aldar. They shared the same thought, he could tell... in an instant they were thinking of the survivors that had been rigged to take out their last squadron... they were thinking of how Aldar himself had been captured and rigged...

He didn't notice it at first, but there was something new in Aldar's eyes. Omega noticed just how old his friend appeared to be now... something he had never seen before. And that look in his eyes... Aldar was no longer an outsider to these atrocities... no longer was he a soldier who had witnessed these sufferings from a third-person point-of-view... he had been there, a captive himself. The prospect of going in and retrieving these prisoners was opening fresh memories for him... things Omega was sure he'd rather not relive. And Aldar just looked so old... so tired...

Omega couldn't let his friend continue this way. This war had to be ended once and for all. The Wolfstar continued its journey, Mac scanning his sensors intently.

"I think we might have something," he said, "but it's distant. What say we check it out?"
User avatar
Spacewolfomega
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 9:18 am
Location: Winchester, KY

Postby BrockthePaine on Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:37 am

Gil tried to cover up his frustration as he got out of the car, taking Fergie's SAR48 and slinging it over his shoulder. "That's all the more reason not to kill them all, Omega - if they did do that, then it would be rather more useful to interrogate them to have them tell us what they did, don't you think? In any case, the police are alerted to the situation and have been passing info up to the HRT. I'm not certain they'd find your kill-them-all attitude very conducive to the American rule of law. Don't become the enemy you seek to defeat, Omega."
It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - attributed to Samuel Adams

“To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.” - Richard Henry Lee
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby Sharuuk on Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:35 pm

Touching down in the mansion courtyard S'aaruuk had been following the commlink chatter when Omega related the warning.

*Keys his link.*

"Lauril's at Malarkey Co. General sharing a room with Syrryxys. Omega, if what you say is true, then everyone in the area is in danger. Since handling her hasn't resulted in a booby trap being tripped, can I assume that it might be remotely triggered?"

"Absolutely!" Came the immediate reply. "But I'll bet the only reason it hasn't been triggered is that they're after us. Killing a bunch of people in the hospital might give them some 'entertainment' but it won't serve any useful purpose."

"I have portable medical scanners here that operate down to the molecular-cellular level. If I can get to her I can determine if she's been wired. Give me a few minutes, I just got home."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Locating Felix and Emma Cobb, S'aaruuk sent them to find the guests and headed to the den. Once there he opened a panel revealing the home theatre controls. At the touch of a button the 10' screen began to decend from the ceiling along with the Hi-Def 4-color projector. A touch to a hidden release lowered the theatre control panel and brought foreward a second control panel whose appearance suggested that it most definitely did not come from Radio Shack or Circuit City. A few touches of various illuminated sectors on the other worldly panel brought the projector on line....along with the communications systems aboard the W'ykkryn. Setting up a link between the two resulted in the screen flickering to life with an incredibly clear view of Omega and the bridge of the Wolfstar.

"Audio-visual communications established Wolfstar...how do you read."

"Loud & clear with a perfect image Professor....nice job."

"Roger that, please stand by."
Last edited by Sharuuk on Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Postby BrockthePaine on Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:15 pm

Mister Cobb told Gil that Professor Sharuuk was in the den, and suggested that he head to join him. Unfortunately, Gil did not know where the den was, nor did he have the good sense to ask: he simply started walking. Also unfortunately, this resulted in getting LOST, and winding up in the outbuilding where the Final Word was still kept.

Gil sighed. "Wrong way." He paused a moment though to stare at a research book left open on the table.

<Sha-hu-bar-halii!>

Gil's fur suddenly stood on end as if the entire room was filled with static electricity. The Final Word stood unmoving in the middle of the room, still taped off and untouched. Gil knew quite well what it was - it didn't frighten him, exactly, but neither was he very comfortable thinking about it.

"Er... so it's awake?" he muttered. "I should go get the Professor... or somebody... hang on, big guy."

<No--I-wish-to-converse-alone-with-Storyteller.>

"Uh... you mean me?"

<You-are-Storyteller. Your-life-is-for-facts-and-many-words. I-am-a-thing-of-words/we-are-kindred. We-both-extol-the-power-that-made-Words. I-want-to-speak-alone-to-you-Storyteller.>

"What do you want?" Gil asked.

<You-must-know-the-story-of-the-Words. You-must-write-the-story-of-the-Words.>

Gil sighed. "Ok then. What's your story?"

<Come-closer-Storyteller/I-shall-show-you.

Gil hesitated at the warning line on the floor. "You sure?"

<I-will-not-harm-you/Storyteller. You-must-speak-Words-for-me.>

Still hesitant, Gil finally stepped over the line and reached out to touch the Utolso Hir. The armoured skin of the device was cool to the touch.

<Will-you-trust-me-Storyteller? I-must-tell-you-the-story.>

"Okay... go ahead."

And suddenly, it was there. Gil stepped back in surprise. It was there, the whole story, just slipped into his memories with such vividness that he could remember smells and tastes.

<Storyteller/you-see-now/know-what-I-see. Will-you-do-as-I-ask?>

"I will write your story," Gil replied. "I'll write the story of the Words."

<And-my-other-wish/Storyteller?>

Gil swallowed. "Yes. I'll do that, too. I don't know how, yet... but I'll figure something out."

<Thank-you-Storyender/I-shall-trust-you-and-the-One-Who-Speaks-the-First-Words. Thank-you. Go/the-others-wait-for-you.>

Gil quickly retreated, heading to the den; mysteriously, he now knew where it was... and a brainload of other information which he couldn't explain. Ooh, it gave him so many ideas for so many different books. How would he ever have time to write them all? Tangled possible futures, obscure paths of the past, and uncertain push of the present... all overseen and known by someone who fell for the fallen and rose in bloom for the withered dead. Such a story! Gil could barely wait to tell it all. But first... first the story had to end... in fire and shadow.
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby Tbolt on Fri Sep 08, 2006 3:47 am

Post in progress, I hope =^^;;

(will delete if necessary...)
Always tell the truth, that way you don't have to remember anything. -- Mark twain
User avatar
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:47 pm
Location: Pa, The 'Burgh

Postby Sharuuk on Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:05 pm

Gil entered the den with a slightly dazed look on his face that no-one seemed to notice. Kerry Skydancer had already arrived and a few others were present as well. S'aaruuk introduced Emma Cobb to the group and asked her to relate all that she had gotten from Lauril in her conversation with her.

"I have some things I need to attend to, and will be back shortly." he said. "Emma here should be able to answer any questions you have about the situation after you've heard what she has to say."

As Emma began her briefing, he turned and headed down the hall to the hidden elevator.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Down in the cavern hangar at a large control console**

After a short phone conversation with Malarkey Co. General, S'aaruuk was informed that Lauril and Syryxxys' room was on the 8th floor in the east wing, number 8512. Bringing up the floorplans of MCGH on the huge monitor he located the room and fed the coordinates into the W'ykkryn's transporter. Picking up a device that outwardly looked like a big-screen laptop, just a bit thicker, he stood on the transporter pad and initiated the sequence.

Normally, beaming from underground to an above ground location was illadvised at best and more than a little risky, but the urgency in Omega's words told him this was the most direct approach rather than launching the W'ykkryn and beaming from altitude.....and a whole lot faster.

Silently materializing in room 8512 he found Lauril sound asleep in the curtain darkened room. Seeing that she was alone he guessed that Red and Syryxxys were out in the solarium or on one of the porches. Smiling to himself he thought about how the old boy was certainly taken with the strange little vulpinoid. Maybe she was what he needed after all these years....

Snapping out of his reverie, he looked at the sleeping chipmunk, eyes narrowing slightly. Having no need to wake her for the exam he quietly opened the 'laptop' activating it. Here is where any resemblance to a laptop ended. The keypad was a series of illuminated panels with glyphs rather than letters or words and the screen was little different. The touch of a panel generated a small glowing blue ball of light about the size of a ping-pong pall just above the top edge of the unit. A touch of another area sent the ball of light to a position at the head of Lauril's bed about 18 inches above her.

"Now my dear, this won't hurt a bit." The glowing eyed wolf thought to himself.

Almost immediately, the sleeping form of her, or at least a representation of it appeared on the screen. A third touch of a panel and the little blue ball suddenly stretched out into a thin line of blue light about 12 inches long. The line of light then slowly and silently traveled from the head of the bed to the foot sweeping the sleeping chipmunk with a soft line of blue light like itself.

On the screen of the device, the sweep was mimiced on the representation of her body and information was displayed in a verticle column on the left side of the screen as a virtual x-ray image of her body revealed itself under the line of the probe.

Once the probe reached the foot of the bed it changed colors to a soft green and reversed course back to the head of the bed. Pausing momentarily over the bandaged wound site on her leg, the band of green light played a rainbow of different colors on the area sweeping back and forth over the wound site several times before continuing it's journey back to the head of the bed. Once there, it shrunk back down into a small ball of blue light and silently vanished.

Satisfied that she was indeed "clean", he smiled, closed the lid on the device, and touching a crystal on one of his ever present wrist bands shimmered out of the room just as silently as he had arrived.

Total time from beam in to beam out, 6 minutes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Returning to the den, he saw that Emma was just recounting the approximate location of where the Viledarian hiding place from the intersection signposet of "Old Forest Trail" and "Lake Overlook Trail".

Excusing himself, he addressed everyone in the room as well as the image of Omega on the screen...

"I've just completed a full exam of Lauril down to the cellular-molecular level and she's completely clean. No booby traps, no biologics, nanotech, nothing. Omega, your experience and instincts about the Viledarians notwithstanding, and I can completely appreciate your position, I now believe that Lauril may be right about the Vil saving her and the supposition that there may actually be a faction of Terran sympathetic Viledarians just might have some validity. When we go in for a rescue attempt....we're going to have to leave the 'kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out' mindset behind......we may actually have unknown allies aboard that ship."

The stunned look on everyone's faces said it all.
User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Postby BrockthePaine on Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:02 am

The look on Gil's face was actually something of a smirk, which he quashed quickly before anyone had the chance to see it. While Sharuuk had disappeared, Gil had been engaged in calling the Police and warning away their helicopter, a task which proved easy as the helicopter hadn't lifted off yet, and wouldn't have arrived for another hour anyway.

"All right, Professor - what are our battle-plans?" Gil asked. "If the Viledarian camp is here... there's a road which isn't on your map - dirt road leading up from this area. I can get my car up it no problem, probably to within a hundred meters or less. I'm gonna bet they've been bringing their captured cars up it. Shall I take the Road Sovereign and clip off that line of retreat while the rest of you hit the camp?"
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby Sharuuk on Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:01 am

"That particular 'road' has only been there about a year and started out as a footpath. It ultimately became a jeep trail. And the Vils have been destroying the cars they've ambushed and scattering the pieces over about a 2 mile radius. I found Lauril's car, or what was left of it along with the pieces of several others during my aerial search after Kerry had found her. Blocking that line of retreat might be a good idea. If that's the assignment you want, you've go it."

"Logically, they've located their camp and ship in the most densly forested part of the valley shielding them from ordinary aerial surveillaence. Ideally, I'd like for Omega and me to try and simply beam out the captives and stun-blast the Villies. I think we should try and make this mission as quiet and bloodless as possible.....obviously without placing ourselves at extreme risk....defend yourselves in any way you deem fit. I'd like to take a few prisoners for interrogation if possible, but if that's not the case, do what ya gotta do."

*Addresses the big screen*

"Omega, your sensors will penetrate the forest canopy no problem. Do you think you can locate and isolate the captives? Their bio-signatures should make that easy. The Vils may not be expecting a high-tech assault and might not be shielding themselves or the ship. Go ahead and do a quiet tactical recon and we can formulate our plans based on your intel....how does that sound?"

Before Omega could answer, S'aaruuk turned away from the screen, keyed his bone phone to the single channel Omega was on and spoke quietly enough that no-one else in the room could hear.

"My friend, I know with yours, Aldar's and Seba's past experiences with the Villies, that this mission will be hard on you all. Maybe Lauril's "savior" is alone, maybe not, I truely don't know. But given the fact that he actually helped her escape and she hadn't been wired says something. I know you don't trust them as far as you could throw the Wolfstar, but trust me for now, and lets try and keep the body count as low as possible......we may actually have 'friends' aboard that ship."
User avatar
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 2780
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:10 pm
Location: Right here for now.

Postby BrockthePaine on Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:05 pm

As Sharuuk talked to someone on the phone, Gil headed out to his car and started the engine up. As Gil had said before to Fergie, the Road Sovereign was a custom car, one Gil had ordered in order to compete with his friend Colleen's Bugatti Veyron. That in itself was a tall order - the Veyron was the fastest production car in existance, topping out at around 250mph, carrying 1,000 horses in a W16 engine. The Road Sovereign was designed to beat the Veyron in all aspects of performance: the custom engine, dubbed X16 by the company, generated 1,038 brake horsepower and 923 ft.lbf of torque, just barely beating Colleen's Veyron. Of course, the Road Sovereign was not a "production" car, and so Gil's creation was unfortunately unlikely to see the history books. Of course, Gil's Sovereign had one leg up on Colleen's Veyron: it had much higher fuel efficiency, over 20 miles per gallon; Colleen had been frustrated that her million-dollar Veyron had guzzeled fuel... often at a rate of two miles per gallon, but never exceeding 11mpg.

Gil looked with grim pride at the controls of his car, and tapped the "Start" button on the console. Eyeing the Professor's driveway arcing down to the recently repaved county road, Gil felt his foot grow heavy. Zero to sixty in 2.5 seconds, the manufacturer had told him. Zero to two hundred in 22.8 seconds. Top speed, 249 miles per hour on a straight.

The place Gil needed to be was only three miles as the Wolfstar flew, but the road was winding around Malarkey Creek Gorge, making it ten miles Gil had to drive. Well, he needed to be in his place, pronto. Gil tapped his foot on the accelerator and felt the Sovereign accelerate down the driveway, moving fast. The Sovereign had broken 80mph before Gil had even reached the county road. And the engine was hardly even working for it.

"Yeeehaw," Gil said. "Fergie, you're really missing this..."

______________________

"I could really stand missing out on this," Fergie groaned. "Zero gravity is NOT fun." Calbeck looked like he was used to it, but Fergie was still trying to recover his space-stomach from his zero-gravity combat training.

"Okay, enough of this," Fergie snapped, buckling himself into the pilot's seat. "I'm going to figure out these Glitter Drive controls and get us out of here. I think this computer is the reaction drives... oh yeah, lassie, here we go... Glitter Drives. Oh, they gave me a How-To file! How thoughtful of them."
User avatar
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero
 
Posts: 1538
Joined: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Location: Further up and further in!

Postby Spacewolfomega on Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:05 pm

Omega couldn't believe what he was hearing. He clenched his fist and repressed the urge to snarl.

"Look, S'aaruuk," he began, "I know you're doing what you think is best and if Lauril checks out, that's great... but I'm still not convinced. We'll try and play it your way, but if things get dicey, I'm not playing with the Viledarians, alright? There's innocent people down there and the Great Alpha only knows what the Viledarians have done or are going to do to them."

Mac spoke up. "Skipper, we got 'em on the scanner."

Omega turned. "You sure?"

"Either that or there's a pretty big cookout going on that no one invited us to."

"Alright, let's do this," Omega said and then closed communcations so only the bridge could hear. "Aldar, if they've got any defenses, we take them out first. No holding back. We can't play around with these guys... you know that. After that, we'll try and stun the ground forces, if possible. If we can't or if it looks like they're about to do anything with the prisoners... you do what you have to to stop them."

Aldar nodded.
User avatar
Spacewolfomega
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 559
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 9:18 am
Location: Winchester, KY

Postby Fusion on Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:54 am

“Ok then, what's your plan for the rest of us?” Ben holds up his large rifle with one hand, “This thing doesn't exactly have a non-lethal setting.”
User avatar
Fusion
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 953
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:16 pm
Location: My own little world

PreviousNext

 

Return to Nip and Tuck



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron