THE RP THREAD!!! *sparkle sparkle*

Postby Wayfarer on Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:26 pm

Even in the short time it took to find her, Lauril had calmed a great deal. When the bat landed beside her and began talking to and checking on her, she said goodbye to Mrs. Cobb, then smiled at him. “Hi. Thank you… for comin’ to… to find me.” She sat quietly until his comment about someone coming back.
“Oh- no… no, don’t… worry," she finally responded. "’S- okay. They won’t… be around here. He told them… I died and… and then took me to the stream and… they left. Went the other way. And… and… I was supposed to… to tell about the prisoners and… go to the cabins. And…” here she broke off into a giggle, “I didn’t remember I had my phone. It was there, and I- I only remembered it this morning. So funny. Irony, irony…” She laughed again quietly. “But still… why did the Professor want me up in the trees? That would’ve been hard…” She broke off, weariness superseding all other expressions on her face. “And… and did I say thank you yet?” She sighed. “I’m all muddied- no, wait- wrong… muddled,” a puzzled expression spread over her face. “Muddled, right?” Then she looked down over her clothes and added uncertainly, “Or- or is it both? Oh, I’m so confused! But… but at least I gave… gave the directions… to… to the lady on the phone.” She paused again. “She’s a very nice lady, but… but she wouldn’t let me go to sleep. Can I sleep now?”
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby IronFox on Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:31 pm

Mac walked over to Aldarr, shaking his shoulder as he plopped into the pilot's seat.
"Come on, matey, time to be getting up."
The old wolf twitched awake, grunting as he did so. "Why'd you wake me up so early, you darned mulnak?!"
Mac grinned as he began running through a pre-flight checklist. We might not be winging off just yet, but practice makes perfect. "Well, for one, we're getting ready to launch in a few minutes, and you'd probably want to be awake for it."
Aldarr muttered something that sounded like "mulnak" under his breath as he began to run through his checklist. Mac grinned as he half turned back to Omega.
"You think we should wake up the womenfolk for the launch? It'll be kinda hard for us to have a maiden voyage without ladies present."
IronFox
Regular Poster

Postby Kerry Skydancer on Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:01 pm

Skydancer let Lauril talk until she wound down. "No, stay awake for now, please, Miss Lauril. You've been through a lot, but let's make sure the docs have a chance to look at you before you fall asleep. Some injuries you're not supposed to fall asleep until they've been fixed, I seem to remember." He thumbed the safety back on, but kept his pistol out. "Who said you were dead? Who'd he tell? And who shot you?"
Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Postby Earl McClaw on Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:48 pm

A quarter mile isn't very far - unless you're dodging terrain and flora on a motorcycle. Still, McClaw managed to arrive not long after Skydancer had checked over Lauril. He'd had to slow to avoid hitting anything, so it didn't take much to stop.

After a glance at the bat and the chipmunk, the tall tiger looked upstream and into the treetops. "Who's the 'they' she mentioned? We expecting company?"

"No," replied Kerry. "Apparently whomever 'they' are they believe she's dead, except for one, maybe."

At this point Lauril spoke up again. "Hello... I know your name... Don't tell me... McLoo... No, that's not right... We were on the phone... I was a little girl..."

"She's going into shock, and I can't carry her out of here. Can you hold her on your bike and still drive?" Kerry asked.

"Better," said McClaw as he unlocked one of the hard cases beside his rear wheel. First he withdrew a folded cloth and tossed it to the ground next to the bat. When Kerry picked it up it unfolded into one of McClaw's greatkilts - and big enough to almost cocoon the little chipmunk.

Meanwhile the tiger had also produced two long adjustable straps and closed the saddlecase. "Wrap her up and we'll strap her to my back like a papoose. That'll let me act as a shock absorber. That trail's not exactly an interstate."
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby Wayfarer on Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:28 pm

KerrySkydancer wrote:Skydancer let Lauril talk until she wound down. "No, stay awake for now, please, Miss Lauril. You've been through a lot, but let's make sure the docs have a chance to look at you before you fall asleep. Some injuries you're not supposed to fall asleep until they've been fixed, I seem to remember." He thumbed the safety back on, but kept his pistol out. "Who said you were dead? Who'd he tell? And who shot you?"

Lauril stared vacantly ahead as Skydancer spoke, and continued for a moment after he’d finished. Then, as though the words had finally registered, she said in a greatly disappointed voice, “No sleep? No sleep, no sleep… no… fair. Haven’t slept since… left for home… y-yesterday morning.” A pause followed. “And no sleep... now? That's… quite… disheartening.”

She lapsed into silence, and Kerry repeated his questions coaxingly.

“Oh. Oh, yeah. Forgot that part. Hmmmm… the big alien – he said he was an alien… or… least that- that they weren’t from… Earth. Ummmm… ummm… oh, yeah… he… caught up to me when-” she broke off, her brow wrinkling, then shook her head slightly. “When… I’m too tired, I can’t… keep thoughts- long enough…. to find words.” She took a breath and tried again. “He caught up to me… when I fell… ‘cause the shot hit me when… when I was running away… from my car. ‘Cause I… was scared when they… they came out of the woods… towards my car. And… and he hit me… and knocked me out and… and woke me up next… to the stream. Said… said this was the… first chance he’d had. Needed me to… to follow the stream. Get help. Tell them… they’d been kidnapping… like that… a week. Said they were… mad, ‘cause… they’d had others, and… ummm… those were taken away, and… lots were killed. And… and he told me where the… kidnapped folk… were. Ummm… ummm… I told the people… on the phone. And he didn’t… didn’t like it. He… no, no, can’t explain… how he did. Not right now. Mmmm… if they… knew… they wouldn’t like him. And then he had- had to leave, ‘cause- if he didn’t they would… know. And… and…-”

The sound of a motorcycle drew Lauril’s eyes and attention to McClaw’s arrival. With the exception of her greeting, she simply sat and listened to the tiger and bat discussed how to move her. Then McClaw tossed the extra greatkilt to Kerry, and a small portion fell near her paw. After staring intently at it for a moment, she reached over to touch it. Then, closing her eyes, she ran her paw back and forth over the nearest bit of the fabric, for the moment oblivious to everything else.
Last edited by Wayfarer on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby Kerry Skydancer on Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:32 pm

Skydancer helped the big tiger wrap up the injured chipmunk and strap her in. "I'd call an ambulance to meet you at the cabins, but you can probably reach the hospital faster than getting one out here." He pulled the last buckle tight and slapped the tiger on the shoulder as he mounted the bike. "Go. I'll take high sentry until you're back on the road."

He spiraled up and then discovered that he had to push, as McClaw was moving quickly enough over the rough trail to stretch his flying speed. He went back onto the commnet, his voice grim. "Perfessor? We've Got A Problem. Lauril's been shot, and from her description it sounds like there's a pack of Villedarians still on the loose. I think she implied that they've been kidnapping folks for some reason - slave labor or hostages, or something - but this is definitely since we took out their ship. I think our little Space Guard is going to get a workout sooner than we hoped."
Kerry Skydancer
Cartoon Hero

Postby Spacewolfomega on Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:58 am

Omega sat with his attention focused on the comlink. He winced.

"Geez," Mac said. "My jokes don't usually have that bad of an effect on you. Don't tell me you're..."

Omega held up a hand to motion for silence. Mac could tell this was no laughing matter.

"Lauril's back..." Omega said, still keeping one ear trained on the comlink chatter. "Something about some Viledarians still here on Earth. They've apparently been abducting people... that's about all I've got right now."

Aldar leaned forward, suddenly wide awake. "Do they need us?"

"Not yet, I don't think. S'aaruuk assures me they've got it under control."

"What about Lauril?" Mac asked. "Is she going to be alright?"

"I think so," Omega nodded. "I imagine that once she's been tended to and becomes a bit more coherent, they're going to try to get some information out of her so we can figure out just what the Viledarians are up to."

Mac thought for a moment and looked around the bridge... admiring the handiwork the three of them had wrought. "Well, y'know... I'd hate for our maiden flight to be our first battle flight at the same time, but when ya gotta... ya gotta..."

"You think they'll need the Wolfstar?" Aldar asked.

"Don't know..." Omega answered. "I'm in the same position you guys are in... just waiting for info. I can't imagine the Viledarians would be back so soon after Ferguson's boys sent 'em packing, but then again the Viledarians have always been rather stubborn when they're after something they want."

"Maybe it's just a few of them left behind for some reason..." Mac suggested.

"Don't get your hopes up," Omega replied.

"Actually," Mac answered, smiling, "getting my Hope up might just be a good idea about now." He turned and left the bridge, headed for his quarters.

Omega winced. This time Mac's sense of humor was the cause.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Commander Kalchak stood in the shielded elevator that rose quickly to the top of the station's tower overlooking the launch hangar. The station had been constructed in space and its vast hangar served as both a docking/refueling port as well as construction facility. Ships ready to depart, ships being repaired, and ships being constructed all floated silently within the cavernous hold. But one stood out in particular... the one that Kalchak focused his attentions on now... the Kurgchulkragar... the Hammer of Worlds.

It would be the instrument that would destroy the Terrans should they put up as much resistance as they had thus far. The emperor had learned something about the Final Voice... there was a way to activate it so that it could be used immediately. Fortunately, it didn't appear that the Terrans had discovered this yet, but should they... the Final Voice could be used against the Viledarians. While the emperor could use it to aid in Viledarian conquest, it could also be used to eliminate the entire Viledarian empire. The emperor had decided that if the Final Voice could not be used for Viledarian interests, then it would be best that it remain in no one's hands...

The elevator door hissed open and standing in front of Kalchak was a Viledarian officer... someone he had never seen before. From the looks of him, he was a bit smaller and less heavy-set than were most Viledarian soldiers. It would be difficult to believe that he had ever seen any real battles by looking at him.

"Commander Kalchak?" he inquired.

"Yes?"

"I am Captain Shargruth of the Emperor's Elite Civil Oversight Council. I am to inform you that I will be serving as your first officer on your mission."

A political officer? Kalchak stiffened. "I already have a first officer. Thank you."

It was a short, dismissive reply. Something about Shargruth bothered Kalchak. A Viledarian should be strong, fearless, courageous and never shirk from confrontation... this captain, however, appeared the be the exact opposite... an offense to any true Viledarian warrior.

"I'm sorry, commander, but the orders come from the emperor himself," Shargruth replied, his tone differing greatly from the words he chose. "I am to ensure that your mission is in compliance with the emperor's wishes."

"And why would it not be?" Kalchak shot back, backing the smaller Viledarian against the wall. "I have always acted within the emperor's commands."

"Then we should have no problems, should we?" Shargruth replied, summoning a bit of defiance back into his voice, despite the all-too-palpable fear in the air.

Kalchak wasn't too sure about that.
Spacewolfomega
Regular Poster

Postby Sharuuk on Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:17 am

"Perfessor? We've Got A Problem. Lauril's been shot, and from her description it sounds like there's a pack of Villedarians still on the loose. I think she implied that they've been kidnapping folks for some reason - slave labor or hostages, or something - but this is definitely since we took out their ship. I think our little Space Guard is going to get a workout sooner than we hoped."

Silently cruising just below the treeline and 10 ft. above the waterline S'aaruuk's brow furrowed at the bat's report.

"Understood...do you need my help to pack her out to medical aid and did she say where the initial attack took place?"

He paused...."If not, the main highway is just a few miles further upstream and slightly west....I can go take a quick look to see if I can figure out where she came from."

"Negative on the lift out thanks, McClaw is already here and will be transporting her to the ER.....A recon might give us some idea what happened, see if you can locate her car, a dark green early model Mazda...over."

Immediately climbing to about 500ft and gaining speed he replied:

"Copy that.....on the way....keep me posted on her status please....out."
Last edited by Sharuuk on Fri Aug 25, 2006 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:27 am

Gil brought the Charger to a skidding stop at the trailhead and stuck his head out the window. "Looks like we're pawing it from here on in, Fergie."

Fergie sniffed the air and got out of the car. "Well... let's stay here a tic, just in case. No, look - see Kerry flying over there? Looks like he's headed back this way..."

As they waited, Gil fired up his CB radio, turning it to channel nine. He listened for a while to the quiet static. "Don't have anything on the emergency band," he said. "Fergie, call up to the Professor's house on the bonephone and see if they've heard anything more recent."

Fergie leaned back in and fished the wireless whisker out of the glove box. "Professor, Kerry, Omega... anybody there?"

"Earl's coming back up the trail," Gil reported. "Looks like he's got somebody with him."

As the motorcycle reached the trailhead, Gil waved Earl to stop and slid out of the car, glancing at the dilerious-looking chipmunk he was carrying. "You want me to take her, Mr. McClaw? It might be just a bit more comfortable for her on the drive to the hospital. I can use the CB to call ahead to the hospital and have some EMT's waiting... Was she shot?"
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Earl McClaw on Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:45 pm

BrockthePaine wrote:As the motorcycle reached the trailhead, Gil waved Earl to stop and slid out of the car, glancing at the dilerious-looking chipmunk he was carrying. "You want me to take her, Mr. McClaw? It might be just a bit more comfortable for her on the drive to the hospital. I can use the CB to call ahead to the hospital and have some EMT's waiting... Was she shot?"

"Shot, yes," the tiger answered. "Skydancer did the first aid, so I don't know what with, but I'd guess it wasn't a Viledarian blaster or she wouldn't be in one piece."

As he helped Gil and Fergie get the still-wrapped chipmunk into the car, McClaw brought them up-to-date. "I've already called ahead to the ER on my cell. Reception's not so good out here, but they know they've got a penetration case coming in. I 'song and danced' a little and said I didn't know what caused it, and that the victem wasn't coherent enough to explain. Better to have them sort it out than get into aliens and blasters."

<insert here>

When Lauril was safely inside and Gil back in the driver's seat, McClaw asked Fergie, "Did your marines take the Viledarian weapons with them, or are they back at the house? I'd like to have a few here incase the Greenies visit. It'd be poetic justice if the get nailed with their own guns."

<insert here>

After the General Sherman took of, McClaw turned to Tandelli and the other refugees who'd come out to watch. "Okay, people, let's get a head count. We just learned there might still be a Viledarian or three out there, and we don't want anyone wandering off."

The expressions on the faces of the refugees made the tiger feel sorry for any Viledarian who showed up.
Earl McClaw invites you to visit Furryco and the DGL. (Avatar used with permission of Ralph Hayes, Jr.)
Earl McClaw
Regular Poster

Postby Wayfarer on Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:49 pm

Lauril had known she was tired, felt it, for most of the night. As long as she'd been moving, however, and the urgency of continued action remained in her mind, she'd remained at least mostly awake. Once she had sat down that last time, however - once she knew that help was on the way, and that she had finally succeeded in telling someone about the other kidnappees - it seemed as if a complete weariness that had been following a few steps behind all night finally caught her. She'd managed to stay awake enough to talk with Mrs. Cobb and Kerry only by fighting, and that grew increasingly harder. She'd tried hard not to nod off through the process of being wrapped up and packed onto McClaw's back, but several times she found herself starting back awake. By the time the ride down the trail had properly begun, she had fallen into a doze...

She woke to the sound of voices and to the motion of being unstrapped and lifted from McClaw's back. For a moment consciousness remained a sleepy confusion, but then the fog cleared, and she felt awake, and able to stay awake (for a while), again. She looked looked over to one side, where Gil was helping to carry her to the car. "So you're here, too, Captain. Hello." She smiled slightly. Then she turned her head... to see Fergie at her other side. She blinked, confused. "Wait a minute...." She looked back and forth, and then back and forth again. "Why...?" she began, then muttered, "Bother, bother. Shouldn't confuse me like this. Not fair, not fair at all." She looked at McClaw. "Please tell me there's supposed to be two of him."

"Don't worry about it," he smiled reassuringly, "It's okay."

She sighed, then began to laugh a little. "I suppose... that's just what I should expect after a night like last night. Seeing double." Now from the back seat of the car, she looked at Gil and Fergie and laughed a little more. "But I would have to see weird doubles. Don't you know that as doubles... you're supposed to be wearing the same clothes?"

By the time the car had gotten underway, the chipmunk had quieted somewhat. Already her new awakeness was wearing into tiredness, but for the moment her mind was still working a bit more clearly than it had been, and something nagged her. Something, something... something I should do. There was one more thing that needed taken care of... something she hadn't thought of in the rush of everything else. She thought hard for a moment, searching...

"Mom and Dad!" she suddenly said aloud.

Fergie looked back at her from the front passenger seat. "What?"

"I need..." she began, and thought for a moment. "I need... someone else... to call my mom and dad," she said finally, staring hard at the back of the seat in front of her as though the act helped her to concentrate. "I'd... I'd do it myself, but... no, I don't think I'd be able to... talk clearly... I'd... scare them. But... but they're going to expect me home, and..." she looked up at Fergie. "Could you call... or have someone else call... tell them where I am... ummmm... but not... to come - need to talk to them first. Need stuff, but... can't think right now - until they've talked to me?" She was quiet a moment, and then added, "Oh, my cell phone- ummm... ummm... where'd my cell phone end up? Whoever calls can... use my cell phone. It has the number saved."
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby IronFox on Sat Aug 26, 2006 7:31 am

Mac moved aft towards his quarters, wondering how he would wake his sleeping wife up, and reminiscing at how he and his brothers would wake each other up in the morning.
Unfortunately, we don't have any water balloons...oh well!
He keyed the door controls, and the hatchway slid open silently. He padded inside and let the door shut behind him.
There she was, bathed in the light from the viewport, clutching a pillow to her chest and snoring softly. Mac smiled and walked over to her and kissed her on the cheek. Hope mumbled and rolled over. "Whaz goin on?"
Mac smiled gently and kissed her nose.
"We're getting ready to take off pretty soon honey. You might want to be up and about for it...you know, since we're going to be maneuvering and such."
Hope shook her head to wake herself up more and kissed him back."Ohhkay...I'll be up in a few minutes. Could you put some coffee on for me?"
Mac nodded. "Sure thing honey." He turned to leave, but before he could get to the door, Hope spoke, her tone of voice suggesting trouble. "Mac....what time were you planning on the flight?"
Mac's innate honesty compelled him to answer.
"Eleven..."
"And what time is it now?"
Mac briefly considered hiding inside his own pants before answering. "Nine-oh-four..."
Hope gave a sigh of exasperation while Mac made his escape.
IronFox
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:01 am

Gil was driving at a pace he considered sane for a back country road, as he was simultaneously fiddling with the CB Radio. "This is Lost Sheepdogs to any Police or Emergency personel in area, please respond. I am transporting a gunshot wound victim to Malarkey County Hospital - please have a EMTs standing by at the front door, over."

"Lost Sheepdogs, this is One-Adam-Three, County Sheriff, reading you signal strength four. What is your location? Over."

Gil checked the road sign as he drove by. "Lost Sheepdogs to One-Adam-Three, I am in a 69 Charger travelling westbound on Quesy Hollow Road, over."

"Copy that, Lost Sheepdogs. I see you. Stand by for a police escort. I'll call ahead and have the ER on standby. Over."

"Roger that, One-Adam-Three. Lost Sheepdogs out."

Fergie was fiddling with Lauril's cellphone as Gil hung up the radio. "You know how to make this thing work?" Fergie asked.

Gil had heard Lauril's request while he was talking on the CB, and took the phone from Fergie. "Fergie, God knows how you manage to have all that fancy gizmo stuff and technology, and still don't know how to get a standard cell phone to work."

Fergie sat back in his seat. "It must be too stupid for me," he replied. Or rather, he thought, I'd rather die than try to phone up someone I don't know and tell them their daughter was shot.

As Gil dialed the phone, the Sheriff overtook the Charger and took up a front escort position, turning on the lights and siren. The phone rang twice, then a lady answered.

"Ah yes," Gil said. "Would you be related at all to a chipmunk named... ah, Lauril? Okay, she's your daughter. She asked me to call and inform you that she has been waylaid... yes ma'am, she's safe, and the police are here. What? ...Yes, we're transporting her right now to the Malarkey County Hospital to... no ma'am, she wanted you to remain at home until she contacted you again. She had some injuries, but they are relatively minor." He paused. "No ma'am, that's quite all right. I'd suggest you stay put for the moment and I or a nurse will call you back in, say, an hour? Thank you ma'am, I appreciate that. No ma'am, I don't know offhand the number for the hospital. Now my apologies ma'am, we're just pulling into the hospital and I need to go. Same to you, Mrs. Millens. G'day."

Gil parked the Charger in front of the emergency dropoff, and ejected from the car as a team of EMTs descended on the vehicle. The Sheriff's Deputy who had escorted them in walked over and flagged the two collies down. "A moment of your time, gentlemen? Could you tell me what's going on?"

"Certainly, Deputy," Gil replied. "I'll tell you what I know, but I'm a bit in the dark about it myself."

Fergie nodded and chimed in. "What little we've got sounds like we have a multiple-hostage situation with an extremely well-armed gang, officer." He glanced to the side as the EMTs rolled a gurney out to the car. Gil winced as the gurney hit the side of his car, scraping off a six-inch streak of paint.

"Sorry," one of the EMTs apologized.

"That's okay, the paint job only ran me three hundred dollars..." Gil said softly. "Deputy, let me move the car around to the main parking lot and then I'll join you in the waiting room."
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Wayfarer on Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:03 pm

It didn't take long before the EMTs had taken charge of Lauril.

It seemed - at least to Lauril, though she probably wasn't the best of judges - to take forever before everything was finished.

Long or short, however, time eventually found the chipmunk in a room, in a bed, with her head resting on a pillow. And she hadn't been smiling in the knowledge of these things long before she drifted off into a deep, long-awaited sleep.
Wayfarer
Regular Poster

Postby Spacewolfomega on Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:17 am

Omega jogged back to his quarters and slipped inside. He leaned down beside the bed and kissed Sebastis gently on the forehead. She stirred and rolled over and smiled sleepily. Her smile faded as she saw the serious look on Omega's face.

"What is it, love?" she asked.

"Looks like our first test flight may end up being an atmospheric one instead of going to space," he said.

She looked at him, puzzled.

"Lauril's back..." he continued, "but she's in kinda rough shape. Turns out there are some Viledarians still hanging around Earth. I think they've been kidnapping people... probably for more experiments and the like. Somehow Lauril managed to escape."

Sebastis sat upright, instantly awake. "Where are they?" she asked, with determination overtaking her voice.

"I don't know yet," Omega answered. "That's where we come in... the Wolfstar's got plenty of sensors being a command ship. We need to get airborne and start searching. I've been told that if we get any info from Lauril, we'll be notified."

Sebastis got up and started getting dressed. "Okay, just give me a second to get ready..."

Omega hesitated a moment. "Are you... are you going to be okay? I mean... considering your condition... shouldn't we be more careful... I don't want anything to happen to you or..."

Sebastis stopped and turned to her husband, placing a hand softly on his cheek. She looked deeply into his eyes and almost wept seeing the love and concern therein.

"It'll be okay, my love," she assured him. "I'm not even showing yet..."

Omega didn't know how to answer. What Sebastis said made logical sense, but still... even though she could bench press him easily, he still felt that she was fragile right now... not that she was weak, but... he couldn't bear the thought of taking any chances with their child. However, knowing next to nothing about pregnancy, he agreed to Sebastis' wishes. She would know best.

He smiled and they shared a tender embrace and kissed. Omega then left her to continue getting ready. Once out in the corridor, he knocked on Mac and Hope's door. "We need to get moving, gang! There's been a change of plans!"

He then returned to the bridge. There were things that needed to be done... and quickly. He activated his comlink...

"S'aaruuk... any more info you can give us on the whereabouts of that Viledarian encampment? We're about to go airborne. Also, somebody needs to check with Red and see if Syrryxys can tell us about what she was planning on doing with the refugees when her crew were kidnapping them. Maybe this Viledarian camp is related. I'm going to check with Aldar and see what he might know."

In some ways, Omega was afraid to find out. Viledarian experiments were known to range from scientific inquiry to morbid curiosity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commander Kalchak was ready to depart. The Kurgchulkragar was ready. Its weapons were fully loaded, its energy was at maximum, the crew were all at their stations... and the Kurgchul itself... it was ready to do its job. The ship's name meant "Hammer of Worlds" and the Kurgchul was the part that meant "Hammer". It would smash the Terrans into oblivion if it proved that the Final Voice could not be obtained.

The emperor would not be pleased that the Final Voice could not be use against the enemies of the Viledarians. However, it would be much better to know that at least it had been eliminated so it could prove no threat to the Viledarians themselves. Kalchak knew what his options were. If he obtained and activated the Final Voice, he would be promoted and live out his remaining days in glory. If he destroyed the Earth and the Final Voice along with it , he would simply remain in his current position. If he failed to do either... torture and death awaited him.

Captain Shargruth, the political officer, and now first officer as well, must've known this all too well, because he stood at Kalchak's side seeming very smug.

"I believe it is time for us to depart, commander," he advised. "Let's not waste time in being about the Emperor's orders."

Kalchak could feel the anger rising within him. He was still in command here and Shargruth knew it... but Shargruth had taken the opporunity to try and make himself appear as the one in command just now. As if Kalchak had to be instructed when to depart. It was a subtle maneuver, but Kalchak had picked up on it. He was sure that Shargruth had intended for him to as well. If confronted about it, he would no doubt feign ignorance.

The commander began weighing his options. He would have let Shargruth know exactly who was running this ship. He would just have to find the right opportunity.

"Certainly, captain. Let us waste no further time."

Orders were given and the Kurgchulkragar began its journey toward Earth.
Spacewolfomega
Regular Poster

Postby BrockthePaine on Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:24 am

After briefing the sheriff's deputy on the situation (and taking a drug test to assure the poor fellow that they were not drunk or high), Gil and Fergie headed out again, stopping at Gil's house to switch cars.

"I don't want to scuff up the General Sherman," Gil reasoned. "At least no more than the EMT's did. I'll have to call Pops' this afternoon and see if he can't fix some of that paint."

"So this is the car we're taking? It looks like a grey-and-silver version of that deputy's car."

"Sorta. It's built on the same Ford Panther platform, but I had it custom-made at a place in Pennsylvania. They dropped in a prototype engine and a few... fun toys. I call it the Road Sovereign."

Gil started the car and Fergie was startled by the deep bass rumble that came from the engine. "Is it supposed to be making that sound?" he asked.

"Yes. That's the X16 engine," Gil replied. "This is my car for going really really fast."

Fergie remembered the day's earlier events with the Charger. "Oh dear."

"Yes. Let's go."

----------------------------------

The USS Corelli floated amongst a hundred thousand tons of destroyed space station, nestled securely inside and out of view from both sensors and sight.

"They're moving, skipper."

"Plot them. Screen up." Captain Riggs barely even glanced at the display before he knew where they were headed. "Communications, open a channel to Oriskany, tell them we've got more incoming."

The Kurgchulkragar passed within a thousand miles of the Corelli and never even knew she was there - at such point-blank range the destroyer's rapid-firing ion cannon could have punched a thousand holes in her shields and hull, opening the ship up for a full broadside of energy torpedoes... but Captain Riggs was not fool enough to try. Certainly, Corelli could destroy the ship, but the return fire would have been equally destructive. Not even Corelli's singularity-pumped shields could have taken it forever.

"All right boys and girls," Captain Riggs said as the Viledarian fleet jumped to lightspeed. "Let's glitter."

Corelli's hyperdrives made a standing long-jump from her spot inside the derelict station. Eighty-nine seconds and ten thousand lightyears later, Corelli entered Earth orbit to join the rest of the Terran fleet.
Last edited by BrockthePaine on Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Calbeck on Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:29 pm

"Watch yerself, Bill. Whoever it is, he's right around the corner there."

Security Officer Theo Manniston drew his nightstick but remained standing behind the bulk of the generator as William Yue drew his revolver. Bill had been with the Malarkey County Sheriff's Office for over a decade now, but refused to "upgrade" to a semi-automatic on grounds that if you couldn't hit something with six bullets, you had no business having a gun at all. Now he wondered whether or not his philosophy had been the right one as his finger tightened slightly on the trigger.

With one fluid motion, he slipped around the corner and brought the .357 to bear, shouting "Sheriff's Office!" loud enough to be heard over the roaring turbines. Beside him, Theo leaped into a guarding position holding the nightstick at the ready.

The unicorn turned its head to look at them, blinked once, and disappeared.

Bill and Theo looked at each other, looked at the still-open security panel, and looked at each other again. The policeman slowly holstered his pistol. "I feel like keepin' my job, Theo...how about you?" The security officer nodded his head, perhaps a bit too rapidly. "They say they've been havin' trouble with raccoons gettin' in here recently..."

Well, that was a waste of power, Roy grumbled to himself as he rematerialized in the woodline outside the generating plant. Good thing I was done anyways.

He looked up at the sky, brushing his mane back, and peered at one particular section bordering on the rising moon. "Looks like a good chance fer Operation Aegis ta get in some practice..." The uniformed unicorn took two steps and vanished.
Calbeck
Regular Poster

Postby Tbolt on Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:44 am

The High Admiral of the Combined allied space fleets was a very busy man, he was responsible for overseeing fleet operations galaxy wide, and cross-time. Getting to actually see him was more a matter of either luck or dire necessity. If someone demanded his presence on short notice, it usually meant the latter.

“The admiral will see you now, sir” said the feline receptionist. The door to the office opened and a black ferret wearing a patch over one eye, a pressed business suit, and carrying a metallic briefcase handcuffed to his wrist was ushered into the room.

“Colonel Ras of the CIA to see you , sir.” introduced the receptionist.

The ferret snapped to attention and offered a salute. The admiral was not pleased with this. “Why are you out of uniform, then, soldier? And what is this CIA? I've never heard about it, at least not since it was merged into Triplanetary Intelligence.”

“My apologies, sir,” replied the ferret “I retired from military service seven years ago.” he tapped the eyepatch “physical disability acquired on Jacharo III.”

The admiral raised an eyebrow, “You survived that?”

“Ten of us did, sir, seven are still around today.”

“Hmmm,” the admiral steepled his paws. “OK, you have my attention, but you still haven't answered my second question.”

The ferret handed the admiral a cream colored business card. It identified the holder's name, gave contact information and announced his position in the Celestial Intervention Agency.

“What the hell is this? Some kind of joke? I've never heard of such a thing!”

“We are low profile, sir, ever since the development of time travel, there has always been a fear of the butterfly effect and how it might change present times, or alter our development as a race. To that effect, time capsules were constructed and sent into a chronological stasis to act as a sort of 'control' group so we could determine what, if any, effect our efforts in the pat were having on the present. Up until now, nothing major has changed.”

The ferret undid the handcuffs and opened his case. “Sir, are you familiar with Roanoke colony?”

“The lost colony in Virginia on terra? I've heard about it.”

“No, sir, Roanoke in Sigma sector. Could you punch up a holomap of the galaxy on your desk, please, sir? Thank you, now overlay the map with the locations of known singulatiries.” red dots superimposed themselves upon the map.

“From our best knowledge, this is the original map of the galaxy after the first time travel experiments, showing the same overlay.” A second map was emmitted from the small noteputer the ferret pulled from his case. It showed far fewer dots.

Without getting into too much details, the more materiel we send back, the less stable the environment becomes. There is something brewing in galactic center that science has never seen before. If left unchecked this galaxy is going to tear itself apart!”

The admiral snorted through his fingers. “Then what is your proposal?”

“We need to bring back all matter that does not belong in the past now agents that have been trained here may remain, but they will have to accomplish their tasks utilizing local assets only.”

“And if we don't?”

“We end up like Roanoke.” The ferret pointed to a green light on his map, then to the corresponding point in the admiral's. The red speck indicating a black hole now occupied the space.
Tbolt
Cartoon Hero

Postby BrockthePaine on Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:53 pm

Gil started his car and glanced over to the passenger seat just as Fergie was abruptly teleported away. "GAH! Don't do that aga... uh... hello? Hello? Bueller? Mooooommy?"

After a few moments of hyperventilating, Gil started the car and hit the road. "Oh well. He'll catch up." If not he can... well... I'll probably come back and find him playing Halo, whining about the low technology and how the Jackal Covenant are just like the aliens of... what was that place... Wyndies? Bah.

---------

"You're WHAT?" Fergie exclaimed.

"Leaving, Captain. Fleet command called us all back... something about blowing up the universe. We've already beamed your future gear back aboard." Captain Churchill looked grave. "Sorry for the lousy timing, but this one comes down from the top."

Fergie growled and stared out the Coventry's forward viewports. "So a large Viledarian fleet is heading to Earth, and you're leaving us to fend for ourselves, with NOTHING?"

Churchill looked pensive. "Not entirely, Captain. Our orders were specific - we have to take back all timeline-sensitive matter, but it didn't say anything about anything we created using in-system matter. Come have a look."

Fergie stepped over to the window and followed Churchill's pointed finger. "One of the American carriers has an onboard autofactory," Churchill explained. "They chewed up a few asteroids the other day and started building destroyers to replace battle losses. The first is almost done - and we're going to leave her for you."

Fergie looked skeptical. "You're going to leave me an incomplete destroyer. How much can I wager the weapons don't work?"

Churchill shrugged. "You'll lose whatever you bet, Captain. She's got standard Ion Cannons and Energy Torpedoes. We weren't able to find all the proper materials in-system to build a proper cosmic lance, so the one we installed is a jury-rigged one-shot deal. Use it wisely."

"So what DOESN'T work, then?"

"Artificial gravity, sadly. Hyperdrive's also rather slow - 100 lightyears an hour, give or take, and she doesn't have teleporters. Sensors are missing, too."

"Swell. I think we've got a full set of sensors left over from the Viledarian frigate, though. And don't American destroyers have Glitter-drive?"

"Yes, and they assure me that it's working fine," Churchill replied. "She's also missing furnishings, including toilets and stuff like that."

"Support craft?"

"She'll take two shuttles in the port and starboard bays, and a patrol-craft sized ship in the main bay, but we're not providing you with any. Also... she doesn't have any escape pods."

"So basically, she's a flying deathtrap armed to the teeth with guns and fast engines?" Fergie asked.

Churchill nodded.

"I'm doomed. Can you give me a pilot and crew? No, of course you can't, I shouldn't even bother to ask. What about AIs?"

"You've got those," Churchill said. "Now, we'll be dropping you off, as we have nine centuries to catch." He saluted formally. "Good Providence, Captain Ferguson. I hope to be reading the history books about you."

"Hey, wait a min-" the air swirled around Fergie and he appeared on the bridge of Terran destroyer desolate of life except for himself. "-ute... " He looked at the controls, and realized he was floating in zero-gravity,. "Can someone give me flying lessons? Uh... hello? Hello? Bueller? Mooooommy?"

---------

"Uh... Gil?"

Gil looked up from his speedometer and keyed the bone-phone that Sharuuk had given him. "Fergie? Where are you?"

There was a long pause. "Um... I think I'm looking at Uranus."

Gil was momentarily at a loss for words. "Fergie, if this is some lewd practical joke, I don't find it very... you mean the planet Uranus?"

"Right," Fergie replied. "My fleet's gone, they left me aboard an incomplete starship... and I don't know how to fly it. Or know where I am. And there aren't any working toilets onboard."

For a few moments, Gil was wondering if he should really be driving while under the influence of... whatever he must have ingested recently. "Right. Do you need directions, or a pilot?"

"Pilot, if you don't mind," Fergie replied. "I think the boys were taking the Wolfstar up sometime today - see if you can't get them to fly out here and pick me up. And ask them to bring lunch: the fleet didn't leave me anything to eat. I think Mac might be convinced to drive this bus for just a bit, too."

"I could be convinced to fly it, too, you know," Gil replied. "I passed a course in flying Learjets, I'll have you know."

"You did?"

"The pilot had a heart attack and I landed the plane. Kinda a pass-fail course, you see," Gil replied. "I learn fast."

"I'm doomed. Just get me someone to fly the ship home and bring me lunch."

"Right," Gil replied. He switched channels. "Wolfstar? Omega, Mac, Aldar... Skydancer... anybody with a pilot's license come in, please? Fergie is stuck aboard a warship orbitting... Uranus, and he needs someone to go out and pick him up. I'm afraid my car is too short-ranged for me to do it myself... ah... is this thing turned on? Doh!"
BrockthePaine
Cartoon Hero

Postby Sharuuk on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:16 am

Between the intel gained from Lauril via Mrs. Cobb and the visual evidence he'd found after about 45min of aerial searching, S'aaruuk had put together a very distrubing picture.

Keying the 'bone-fone' comlink he sent out the Malarkey Co. equivalent of an A.P.B.

"Attention anyone and everyone on this link....we have a situation involving more Viledarians taking more prisoners in what appear to be at least 8 ambushes along Rt 470....they have a ship hidden in the deep woods in a valley somewhere that probably has the prisoners aboard."

"I'm now headed back to the estate for some supplies and need all who can hear me to meet me there ASAP.....anyone copying this transmission, please respond."

The big alien wolf gained altitude and speed as he repeated the call......his jaws clenched and face grim as he anticipated what might be coming up in the very near future.
Last edited by Sharuuk on Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sharuuk
Cartoon Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Nip and Tuck