The Parthenos Brain Trust

Postby Virgil v2.0 on Wed Mar 14, 2001 8:55 am

Objective: To provide Mike with information and spur debate on classical mythology and the ancient world. Also provides outlet for usless ramblings, typically while poster is drunk.<P>Topic: Chaos of 1200-1100 BC<P>I remember reading in several sources about how the whole Mediterranian was thrown into chaos in these years. The Minoan and Hittite civs were destroyed, Egypt was ransacked, towns throughout Europe were abandoned, and Greece itself was plunged into a dark age (and there was that whole Troy thing). No one's really sure how or why all of this happened at once. Ancient sources talk about "invaders from the sea" and whatnot, but there's a hundred different theories.<P>Civilized world in chaos, gods at each other's throats...intersting backdrop, no?<P>Thoughts? Comments? Random BS? (or as one of my friends calls it, "intellectual masturbation". I have strange friends)<P>
Virgil v2.0
Regular Poster

Postby Aglauros on Wed Mar 14, 2001 9:52 am

Ahhh, the Philistines.<P>In Year 8 of Pharoah Ramses III's reign, the Middle East erupted in turmoil. The Hittite Empire was a confederation of the Peleset (Philistines), Tjeker, Shekelesh (possibly Sikels from Sicily), Weshesh, and the Denyen (who could be the Danaoi of Homer's Illiad). Together, the confederation made up the 'Sea Peoples'. [Gleaned from page 161 of <u>Chronicle of the Pharoahs</u>, by Peter A. Clayton.]<P>No, really. The Philistines were indeed a portion of the mysterious 'sea people'. Perhaps they were related to the Phoenecians, but more likely, they were Greek in origin. Pottery dug from ruins of cities they occupied is very similar in design to that from Mycenae in a similar or slightly older period. According to my dad, they captured a city on the shoreline of Egypt, and eventually the Pharoah offered to let them settle there in return for being his bodyguards. After all, the primary objective of the Sea People was to carve out a place to settle. However, I cannot confirm this story as my father recently passed away, and I don't know where he found the information.<P>I do happen to know that our library has quite a few books on the Phoenecians because I became interested in them a few years back. This week is <i>very</i> bad, but eventually ...<P>So. Anyone have any more insights on the Sea People? Or how about Minoan history and culture?
Aglauros
Regular Poster

Postby MizunoL on Wed Mar 14, 2001 11:31 am

Ah, the Phoenicians, founders of Carthage. I know more about their trading habits than their wars, but they sure as Hell were sea-faring people, and settled colonies like crazy. I suppose one of the more warlike city-states could have devastated a town or two but not entire civilizations...<P>On a completely unrelated note, I love you guys.<P>------------------
-MizunoL<P>There are no Pan-Asian supermarkets down in Hell, so you can't buy Golden Boy peanuts.
MizunoL
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamless on Thu Mar 15, 2001 3:06 am

Dude! I've always wanted a brain I can trust!<P>So wait. Did the Hittites pick on everybody else (as mysterious 'sea people') and then themselves fall apart? It sounds like they're geographically spread out and somewhat loosely structured--I'd wager on a charismatic leader after whose death everything goes to hell, but...<P>I'm going to be killing time in a bookstore tomorrow anyway; I sorely need to catch up on my dawn of history.<P>The brother'd probably blame it on horse archers. The chaos, that is, not my ignorance. But they're surely to blame there too.<P>mike
Dreamless
Regular Poster

Postby Virgil v2.0 on Thu Mar 15, 2001 10:56 am

<P>Hitties were separate from Phonecians and folk. Ruled southern Turkey, Syria, and northen Iraq. They were around for a long time before the sea people came and whatever happened to destroy their civ did its job.<P>On a competly unrelated note, I am failing Spanish. Georgetown's language requirements suck cojones.
Virgil v2.0
Regular Poster

Return to Parthenos