Aircraft in Shadowfall

Postby Jpeane on Thu Jan 25, 2001 4:27 am

Just wondering if the aircraft pictured on page 11 of issue two is based on the Tornado. Very similar profile. I think I can see pieces of the Apache in the helicopter, too. <IMG SRC="http://www.keenspace.com/forums/smile.gif"> You're quite an artist!<P>Love the story so far, specially the details like Ilyana's (KGB-inspired??) badge and the display screen in the plane. Also like Wings of Cranes and Eagles. When do you think it will return?<P>Also, I've been reading some of these other posts. It's kind of weird to see you quibbling with your main character! A nifty idea.<P>Jim
Jpeane
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Postby ZOMBIE USER 866 on Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:14 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpeane:
<B>Just wondering if the aircraft pictured on page 11 of issue two is based on the Tornado. Very similar profile. I think I can see pieces of the Apache in the helicopter, too. <IMG SRC="http://www.keenspace.com/forums/smile.gif"> You're quite an artist!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thanks, Jim san! And you're right; the Dart is a composite of lots of different airplanes, including such dissimilar planes as the Tornado and the Beech Starship. The 'copter is also a composite. The two main influences for it were the Apache and an experimental, jet-powered Sikorsky that I saw in a book somewhere (and was very impressed by!).<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpeane:
<B>Love the story so far, specially the details like Ilyana's (KGB-inspired??) badge and the display screen in the plane. Also like Wings of Cranes and Eagles. When do you think it will return?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
You're the second person to point out the KGB inspiration, so far. I'm impressed! My readers are sharp! <P>I'm not sure when I'll be able to get back to Wings, since I'm currently stuck in the Mojave desert, distressingly far away from my beloved Los Angeles library system. Sigh... I'm hoping to get back to it, eventually. Wings has been one of my favorite projects.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpeane:
<B>Also, I've been reading some of these other posts. It's kind of weird to see you quibbling with your main character! A nifty idea.<P>Jim</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, I hope it's entertaining, at least. Though, I really didn't expect Genjiro to talk so much... I suppose it's the result of being surrounded by girls, and *that* is something I knew would happen. (curse him!!)<P>(^-^)<P>Kaichi
ZOMBIE USER 866
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Postby ZOMBIE USER 866 on Fri Jan 26, 2001 1:17 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ashandra:
<B>*grins* I'm not sure who quibbles more with who...Sure seems like Genjiro does most of the b***hing.<P>Ash</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Heh...Yeah, he really dislikes me. But then, he's usually uglier to other guys than he is to girls. I think it's a severe case of territorialism...<P>(~-^)<P>Kaichi
(come to think of it, he *was* the one who threw out the first insult, wasn't he?!?)<p>[This message has been edited by Kaichi (edited 01-26-2001).]
ZOMBIE USER 866
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Postby Ashandra on Fri Jan 26, 2001 2:43 am

*grins* I'm not sure who quibbles more with who...Sure seems like Genjiro does most of the b***hing.<P>Ash
Ashandra
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV USA

Postby Jpeane on Mon Jan 29, 2001 2:44 am

I can see the Starship in the horizontal profile, now that you mention it. From underneath it looks more like the Tornado. Then the jet nozzles are totally Harrier. Really cool control panel in today's comic, too. Do you fly? Or just a wannabe pilot (like moi)? You have the 'planes down pat.<P>Oh and if I were you, I'd put Genjiro to bed ASAP. He shouldn't be playing around in this message board, in his condition. He's starting to sound a little sickly, talking about being queasy, and he's gotta be in MAJOR shock, by now. Tho, it's funny to watch him beg for pets from the ladies, and kind of frustrating to see him GET them. Some of us would kill for that magnetism! <P>Jim
Jpeane
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Postby ZOMBIE USER 866 on Tue Jan 30, 2001 6:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpeane:
<B>I can see the Starship in the horizontal profile, now that you mention it. From underneath it looks more like the Tornado. Then the jet nozzles are totally Harrier. Really cool control panel in today's comic, too. Do you fly? Or just a wannabe pilot (like moi)? You have the 'planes down pat.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
Thanks! And yes, I am a pilot. I haven't flown in several years, though, due to health problems and lack of money. I hope to get back to it, eventually. Life is kind of empty without my wings!! That used to be my whole life.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
<B>Oh and if I were you, I'd put Genjiro to bed ASAP. He shouldn't be playing around in this message board, in his condition. He's starting to sound a little sickly, talking about being queasy, and he's gotta be in MAJOR shock, by now. Tho, it's funny to watch him beg for pets from the ladies, and kind of frustrating to see him GET them. Some of us would kill for that magnetism! <P>Jim</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Sigh...sickening, isn't it?!? (~-^)<P>And if he wants to play around in here, I'm not going to stop him. Not that I <i>could</i> stop him, anyway... He has a mind of his own. Sort of.<P>(~-^)<P>Kaichi<P>
ZOMBIE USER 866
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Postby Genjiro on Tue Jan 30, 2001 6:33 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ashandra:
<B>*grins* I'm not sure who quibbles more with who...Sure seems like Genjiro does most of the b***hing.<P>Ash</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I do not!!! Ash chan!! I didn't do anything! It's all <i>his</i> fault!!! ***pointing menacingly at Kaichi***<P><img src="http://www.kyokipress.com/images/icons/angry.gif"><P>Genjiro
Genjiro
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Edo, Lhasa Pref., Meiji Rep., Exedra

Postby Genjiro on Tue Jan 30, 2001 6:39 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jpeane:
<B>Oh and if I were you, I'd put Genjiro to bed ASAP. He shouldn't be playing around in this message board, in his condition. He's starting to sound a little sickly, talking about being queasy, and he's gotta be in MAJOR shock, by now. Tho, it's funny to watch him beg for pets from the ladies, and kind of frustrating to see him GET them. Some of us would kill for that magnetism! <P>Jim</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>
Thank you for your concern, Jim san, but I'm okay. Really. At least, while I'm here I'm okay. I think...<P>And if you'd like some magnetism of your own, I can give you lessons. But I warn you, my advise isn't cheap.<P><img src="http://www.kyokipress.com/images/icons/wink.gif"><P>Genjiro
Genjiro
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Edo, Lhasa Pref., Meiji Rep., Exedra

Postby Jpeane on Sat Feb 10, 2001 12:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kaichi:
<B>Thanks! And yes, I am a pilot. I haven't flown in several years, though, due to health problems and lack of money. I hope to get back to it, eventually. Life is kind of empty without my wings!! That used to be my whole life.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Here's hoping you get your wings back soon! BTW I love the fighters on pg 18. This is one of my fave pages yet!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kaichi:
<B>Sigh...sickening, isn't it?!? (~-^)<P>And if he wants to play around in here, I'm not going to stop him. Not that I <I>could</I> stop him, anyway... He has a mind of his own. Sort of.<P>(~-^)<P>Kaichi
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>It is sort of sickening. Tho, I don't think I'd like to trade places with him right now. <P>Jim
Jpeane
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Postby Jpeane on Sat Feb 10, 2001 12:59 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Genjiro:
<B>
Thank you for your concern, Jim san, but I'm okay. Really. At least, while I'm here I'm okay. I think...<P>And if you'd like some magnetism of your own, I can give you lessons. But I warn you, my advise isn't cheap.<P> <IMG SRC="http://www.kyokipress.com/images/icons/wink.gif"> <P>Genjiro</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Thanks for the offer, Genjiro, but I doubt I could afford your expertise. I don't have your good looks to back it up even if I could afford it!<P>Jim
Jpeane
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Postby Cannonshop on Fri Feb 23, 2001 11:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kaichi:
<B> Well, I hope it's entertaining, at least. Though, I really didn't expect Genjiro to talk so much... I suppose it's the result of being surrounded by girls, and *that* is something I knew would happen. (curse him!!)<P>(^-^)<P>Kaichi</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well... If you Knew it would happen, maybe he needs a little competition... After all, it tends to bring out the best(worst) of us all.<P>------------------
Next time... less C4.
Cannonshop
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Everett,Washington,USA

Postby Cannonshop on Fri Feb 23, 2001 11:19 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kaichi:
<B> Well, I hope it's entertaining, at least. Though, I really didn't expect Genjiro to talk so much... I suppose it's the result of being surrounded by girls, and *that* is something I knew would happen. (curse him!!)<P>(^-^)<P>Kaichi</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>The Sikorsky Experimental was the "Comanche" circa 1969-1973, there were a limited number made, and they never went to full production (Program cancelled by the Nixon Administration...or was it Ford?) Comanche nameplate was picked up by the Boeing-produced model (RAH-66? I think?) which is undergoing testing/acceptance right now.
by the way: The Gatling-gun aboard the chopper- the Bores are pretty large, and (Knowing something about ballistics) Genjiro was hit several times... Were they low-velocity rounds, with Full Metal Jackets, per Hague Conventions, or were his wounds shrapnel from near misses? Reason: High-Velocity rounds fired at GG speeds (upwards of 1000/min) would've cut him in half with that many hits (Hydrostatic shock+expansion of the slug+energy transfer=LOTS of damage, shattering of bones, etc... Exit wounds would be a total drag...), I mean, the Exit Wounds from something like a 7.62 tend to be around, oh, three inches in diameter...
Thanks for the great Comics.
Cannonshop
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Everett,Washington,USA

Postby ZOMBIE USER 866 on Sat Feb 24, 2001 1:48 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cannonshop:
<B> The Sikorsky Experimental was the "Comanche" circa 1969-1973, there were a limited number made, and they never went to full production (Program cancelled by the Nixon Administration...or was it Ford?) Comanche nameplate was picked up by the Boeing-produced model (RAH-66? I think?) which is undergoing testing/acceptance right now.
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I don't remember seeing an actual name attached to the picture of the Sikorsky, just that it was an experimental, jet-powered x-wing. Really impressive! It had a fixed wing in addition to a rotor that became a fixed wing for fast flight. Is that the one you're thinking of? I wish I could remember, now, where I saw that. I just went looking through some of my books and couldn't find it. Sigh...<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>
<B>by the way: The Gatling-gun aboard the chopper- the Bores are pretty large, and (Knowing something about ballistics) Genjiro was hit several times... Were they low-velocity rounds, with Full Metal Jackets, per Hague Conventions, or were his wounds shrapnel from near misses? Reason: High-Velocity rounds fired at GG speeds (upwards of 1000/min) would've cut him in half with that many hits (Hydrostatic shock+expansion of the slug+energy transfer=LOTS of damage, shattering of bones, etc... Exit wounds would be a total drag...), I mean, the Exit Wounds from something like a 7.62 tend to be around, oh, three inches in diameter...
Thanks for the great Comics.</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Actually, the 'copter showed up after he was shot, which was from a 9 mm pistol fired from about 15 feet away. I wanted to give him at least a little bit of a chance for survival. (Even though I have to admit, when I first wrote this story, --mumblemumble years ago-- part of me <i>really</i> wanted to kill him.) (~-^)<P>Thanks for the compliment, btw! I'm getting a big(ger) head, already...<P>(^-^)<P>Kaichi
ZOMBIE USER 866
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Postby ZOMBIE USER 866 on Sat Feb 24, 2001 12:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cannonshop:
<B> Well... If you Knew it would happen, maybe he needs a little competition... After all, it tends to bring out the best(worst) of us all.
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Heh...if I thought I could keep up with posting for two characters <i>and</i> for myself, I'd bring Max in here. KimiG's already drooling over him, in other posts, with the predictable result of making Gen jealous. I think a major fight would ensue, within minutes, and then I'd never be able to do anything except post their respective potshots. I gotta draw, sometime...<P>(~-^)<P>Kaichi
ZOMBIE USER 866
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Postby Cannonshop on Sun Feb 25, 2001 4:38 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kaichi:
<B> Actually, the 'copter showed up after he was shot, which was from a 9 mm pistol fired from about 15 feet away. I wanted to give him at least a little bit of a chance for survival. (Even though I have to admit, when I first wrote this story, --mumblemumble years ago-- part of me <I>really</I> wanted to kill him.) (~-^)<P>Thanks for the compliment, btw! I'm getting a big(ger) head, already...<P>(^-^)<P>Kaichi</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Damn. I checked again... Sorry, had wrong Designation. (it DID seem to resemble the original Comanche... oh well...) the X-Wing prototype that Sikorsky built didn't last through the 1980's (Reagan Admin, not Nixon...grr.)I don't remember if it had an "X" designation or not, but-It lost out, it seems the U.S. Military was "Uninterested" in a Stopped-Rotor design. Info can be dug up(if you're actually interested) in Popular Science, circa 1985-87, (even had a nice Cover painting) Kaichi-San, have you ever taken a look at the NOTAR designs being fielded by (Mcdonnell Douglas) Boeing Helicopters? uses exhaust from the Turbine to counter the Torque of the Rotor, rather than a tail-prop (as conventional birds do), the Fuel economy's supposed to be superior, and the Maintenance difficulty is lower (fewer torque tubes, fewer moving parts...), again, Supposedly.
Btw: One of the details I like about Shadowfall is that you keep the Guns at a reasonable size (nothing ENOURMOUS), this is a detail point that most "Manga" style artists can't seem to get a grip on, (and Comic-Book companies don't either...) Do you shoot?
Thanks.
Cannonshop
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Everett,Washington,USA

Postby Cannonshop on Sun Feb 25, 2001 4:40 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Genjiro:
<B> I do not!!! Ash chan!! I didn't do anything! It's all <I>his</I> fault!!! ***pointing menacingly at Kaichi***<P> <IMG SRC="http://www.kyokipress.com/images/icons/angry.gif"> <P>Genjiro</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Three words, Gen-Chan: Sucking Chest Wounds.(next time, wear a Vest!)
Cannonshop
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 572
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Everett,Washington,USA

Postby Jpeane on Mon Feb 26, 2001 9:36 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kaichi:
<B> Uh...it <I>is</I> your fault, Gen chan. <I>You</I> are the one who stopped paying attention and stepped into the light, like a nitwit. Nobody made you do that. It's <I>your</I> fault. Deal with it.<P>(^-^)<P>Kaichi </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>HMM yeah. That was pretty dumb wasn't it? Why DID you do that, Genjiro?<P>btw Satake san, love the Stingray! and the dagger in Max's eye. Had to look twice to catch it tho.<P>More planes please!!<P>Jim<P>
Jpeane
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Beverly Hills, CA

Postby Genjiro on Mon Feb 26, 2001 11:19 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cannonshop:
<B> Three words, Gen-Chan: Sucking Chest Wounds.(next time, wear a Vest!)</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><img src="http://www.kyokipress.com/images/icons/angry.gif"> Hey!! It's not my fault! Nobody told me I'd <i>need</i> one!! How am I supposed to know these things, if nobody tells me?!? It's not like I've done this for a long time or anything.<P>If I am lucky, there will not <i>be</i> a next time. I am ready to go home, now. This is not very much fun.<P><img src="http://www.kyokipress.com/images/icons/sad.gif"><P>Genjiro
Genjiro
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 1999 4:00 pm
Location: Edo, Lhasa Pref., Meiji Rep., Exedra

Postby ZOMBIE USER 866 on Mon Feb 26, 2001 11:45 am

<B> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cannonshop:<P>Damn. I checked again... Sorry, had wrong Designation. (it DID seem to resemble the original Comanche... oh well...) the X-Wing prototype that Sikorsky built didn't last through the 1980's (Reagan Admin, not Nixon...grr.)I don't remember if it had an "X" designation or not, but-It lost out, it seems the U.S. Military was "Uninterested" in a Stopped-Rotor design. Info can be dug up(if
you're actually interested) in Popular Science, circa 1985-87, (even had a nice Cover painting) Kaichi-San, have you ever taken a look at the NOTAR designs being fielded by (Mcdonnell Douglas) Boeing Helicopters? uses exhaust from the Turbine to counter the Torque of the Rotor, rather than a tail-prop (as conventional birds do), the Fuel economy's supposed to be superior, and the Maintenance difficulty is lower (fewer torque tubes, fewer moving parts...), again, Supposedly.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE></B><P>I don't believe I have seen those. But then, I could have and just don't recall it. I've always been more interested in fixed wing craft, so I haven't paid as much attention to helicopters as perhaps I should have. (~-^) I probably have those Popular Science issues somewhere in my vast archive of stuff. With 80's dates, though, they're probably in my sister's garage. In Texas. Sigh...<P><B> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cannonshop:<P>Btw: One of the details I like about Shadowfall is that you keep the Guns at a reasonable size (nothing ENOURMOUS), this is a detail point that most "Manga" style artists can't seem to get a grip on, (and Comic-Book companies don't either...) Do you shoot?
Thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE></B><P>I like to keep things fairly realistic. I know I have readers who will embarrass me, if I don't. Plus, I just feel that makes the story more enjoyable and believable.<P>I don't shoot, now. My dad used to be big on hunting, and always had a variety of rifles, shotguns and pistols in our house. When I was around 15 or so, he used to take me out with him to shoot cans and stuff, and I really enjoyed that. I was really small, then (like about 100 pounds!!), so I couldn't handle anything more than a 22. No accuracy, at all, with pistols, but about 98% with the 22 rifle. I'd like to shoot, again, sometime. It was fun! Maybe now that I'm an adult I could handle a pistol...<P>(~-^)<P>Kaichi<p>[This message has been edited by Kaichi (edited 02-26-2001).]
ZOMBIE USER 866
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Postby ZOMBIE USER 866 on Mon Feb 26, 2001 11:53 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Genjiro:
<B> <IMG SRC="http://www.kyokipress.com/images/icons/angry.gif"> Hey!! It's not my fault! Nobody told me I'd <I>need</I> one!! How am I supposed to know these things, if nobody tells me?!? It's not like I've done this for a long time or anything.<P>If I am lucky, there will not <I>be</I> a next time. I am ready to go home, now. This is not very much fun.<P> <IMG SRC="http://www.kyokipress.com/images/icons/sad.gif"> <P>Genjiro</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Uh...it <i>is</i> your fault, Gen chan. <i>You</i> are the one who stopped paying attention and stepped into the light, like a nitwit. Nobody made you do that. It's <i>your</i> fault. Deal with it.<P>(^-^)<P>Kaichi
ZOMBIE USER 866
Regular Poster
 
Posts: 215
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:26 am

Next

 

Return to Kyoki Press Comics



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest