Discrimination

Discrimination

Postby BloodEye on Mon Jul 15, 2002 5:56 pm

I'm sure most of your have heard anthropormorphic charecters refered to as 'furries' or perhaps just 'furs.' Isn't this referance a little unfair to those who happen to not be furry, be they reptilian, feathered, or other? I really don't have a point of solution to this, but it's been bothering me all day, so figured I'd share. Yes, I do think about things like this a lot. And yes, this is probally a result of not getting out enough.
Life's a bitch. But she's MY bitch.
<a name=BloodEye>
<a href="http://forums.keenspace.com/viewtopic.php?t=35655&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30#BloodEye">Profile</a>
BloodEye
Regular Poster

Postby PDI on Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:11 pm

I guess that's one reason "anthro" is sometimes used. Of course, that's a bit, well, anthrocentric, to focus on "manlike" as an attribute, but hey, language hasn't caught up with the idea yet, I guess.
PDI
Cartoon Hero

Postby Andrick on Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:59 pm

Just to nitpick, unless you know of some which show the characteristics of sentience, linear problem solving, tool use and conceptualiztion of abstract thought then any depiction of a humanoid animal with these traits is projecting human qualities on non-humans.

BloodEye, whomever refers to anthromorphs as "furs" to speak of them as other than human hasn't known anyone with mediterranean blood. Trust me on this, "furry" describes them too!

Now that I'm thinking about it, isn't the term derogatory and openly hostile? For your consideration, knowing that many anthro back stories include periods of genocidal (varying degrees of the true use of this word) violence, wouldn't more barbarous times include the taking of pelts from rivals as both proof and trophy? In light of this, how would a modern anthromorph take to be called a fur? It'd be akin to walking up to a cow and saying "Hi, flank steaks!" except the cow wouldn't understand and probably moo at you before belching up some cud to re-chew.

Uh-huh, I put way too much thought into trivial things. Image
Andrick
Cartoon Hero

Postby BloodEye on Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:49 pm

Perhaps, but I'm amused by them anyway. Does make me wonder about the use of assorted leathers, furs, wool, glue, burgers, and assorted other assorted products made from animal parts. Does one have zoo's by makeing jails with viewing windows? I have a sudden view of all petting zoos not really being ment for children.... But while all this pondering hasn't really given me any insights, it has accomplished it's orginal purpose, to kill time at work until I get to go home. For that, thank you.
Life's a bitch. But she's MY bitch.
<a name=BloodEye>
<a href="http://forums.keenspace.com/viewtopic.php?t=35655&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30#BloodEye">Profile</a>
BloodEye
Regular Poster

Postby PDI on Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:46 pm

Well in the PDI universe, there are non-sentient versions of most anthro morphs.
PDI
Cartoon Hero

Return to Psychic Dyslexia Institute