Would you be interested

Postby PDI on Thu Mar 14, 2002 2:06 pm

In PDI merchandise at all? We've had CafePress stuff offered for over a year now, and we've only sold coffee mugs to ourselves. We have the option to take matters into our own hands and produce T-Shirts (remember the Tracker shirts we discussed?) and original art/prints for sale. I'd like to start doing that this year (we're putting a couple of hundred bucks into the KeenBook at 'Con this year).

But I need to know if there's a real interest, so I have some idea of how to proceed.
PDI
Cartoon Hero

Postby Calinmoon on Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:22 pm

I wish I had money.
The bunny looks cute.
*remembers cacophony*

mp3 madness: Sammi Cheng - Punk Boy, Punk Girl
Calinmoon
Regular Poster

Postby Falen on Wed Mar 27, 2002 3:03 pm

It depends, what are the price ranges?

*is a poor starving college student.*
Falen
Regular Poster

Postby PDI on Wed Mar 27, 2002 4:56 pm

Well, for example, I'm thinking an 11x17 color laser print for about 7 dollars (I'll check printing costs and see if I can get a better deal), T-shirts and mugs will not be made available unless I can arrange to get them MUCH cheaper than cafe press.
<A HREF="http://spoon.keenspace.com">FotM</a>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: PDI on 2002-03-27 17:01 ]</font>
PDI
Cartoon Hero

Postby Rin_desu on Thu Mar 28, 2002 1:36 am

I remember discussing this with you last year, Scott...

Cafepress is good as sort of an "instant solution," business-wise... for what they offer versus the depth of product, it's an okay substitute for real <i>manufactured</i> merchandise (such as Sandra's offering of BMB teeshirts).

It's not like I've never had the money to get a Cafepress PDI mug or t-shirt or hoodie, but I can't say there's anything on the site to remind me to do so except lately with the bunnies & such. I'm more interested in a coffee mug than a bunny, though.

Perhaps one of those quick-poll things you can set as a script on the main page to do a survey? The problem with going away from the Cafepress arena is that you'll be capitalising for inventory and that's really putting it out on the chopping block. then again, it could lead to profit...

as for printing, one-off prints from a kinko's laser are pretty spendy. You can likely get htem reproduced, poster-style in batches of 100 or 500 at a local printery, though that's a capital outlay, as well, what with 4-color or offset printing.

If you're looking for a few one-off goods, you can even offer something that you've done, yourself... silk-screening isn't too terribly tough, and it's a capital improvement instead of inventory, and you can control the quality as well as the unique nature of the merchandise (no 2 exactly alike!). The outlay will be significantly less than building up a 4-size inventory of shirts in any quantity, and you can better control inventory by only buying what you need or what's ordered.

For price-range, it's an easy answer: Under $20. $20 is affordable, and it'd keep the package under $25 with shipping & handling costs... (tyvek envelope + t-shirt = about 1 lb.)

i'm chock full of ideas (but nobody hires me for this shit. you're lucky i like you, i might start charging), and we can chat at length any time... =)
"If I had a nickel for ever time I've heard that, I'd fill a sock with them and beat the shit out of you for saying something so stupid."
Rin_desu
Regular Poster

Postby Vito Vincetti on Fri Mar 29, 2002 12:49 pm

I know I'd be down with a Tracker design shirt, as soon as my financial situation improves,
Vito Vincetti
Regular Poster

Return to Psychic Dyslexia Institute