Video Game Progress Thread

A place where posters can comment on the comic, chat with the artist and his friends who are in the comic, and discuss anything and everything geeky.

Re: Video Game Progress Thread

Postby XIVcaliber on Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:39 pm

It may be shiny, but it's not Guilty Gear. Also, the art style is different and odd-looking. Plus, I have no 360, and am probably not going to get one.

In other news, I'm back from Florida, YEEEEEEEAAH!!

I finally beat Albus in Ecclesia, Andre, and then I realized the one good thing about the game that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out, and makes me applaud Konami for probably doing this for the first time. If you get the bad ending, it TELLS YOU WHAT YOU NEED TO DO. So now I need one more villager. AND I CAN'T FIND HER. She seems to be in an underwater level, but the problem is, there's two of those, and I REALLY don't feel like searching every nook and cranny of both of them.

I'm sure I'll get it at some point. I'm almost done with my Easy, then Normal playthrough of Knights in the Nightmare, and am currently at Scene 28 in the redux phase of the story. God, it's an amazing game, but there are some battles that make you want to cry, because the monsters love to not be in your attack range and fire lots of nasty bullets at you until you have no more Time and you lose. Then you realize that since you're on Normal, you have 12 turns to win instead of 27, back in the good old days of Easy. Oh well, 'tis a speed bump.

Pokemon Battle Revolution! It's mostly not masochistic! The only part that makes you want to commit harakiri on yourself is Neon Colosseum, where your opponents can actually select YOUR OWN Pokemon from the random choice wheel and screw over your entire strategy. What's worse is that the only way to get the awesome green and black rider gear I want for wi-fi is to beat the damn thing on Level 50 All rule once. It took me two days, but I finally got it after taking a couple doses of Vikadin. Thanks for the recommendation, Andre.

Also, GUESS WHO'S TURNING SIXTEEN NEXT WEEK?!
What is the true path to victory? I say start with Flashman's stage.
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby IceBug on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:25 pm

I assure you, Elliot, while the art style for the select screen is different, the in-fight character art is very similar, unless, you're talking about the vids, in which case you're on your own.

What do you people think of Hazama and Tsubaki, though. See why I said it was hard to describe Tsubaki's playstyle?

Also, congrats on the Neon Coliseum (hint, use all Magikarps and learn the timing to steal all of their pokemon, so much more fun that way), and also on the 16 business. I know, we should have a party. *points to "Party Stuffs Thread"* :wink:
Need Az ure Ne d it Az ure A zure Azu reAzureAzure....GWAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAA!!!!!
IceBug
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:36 am

Tsubaki is like... huh. She doesn't really seem to play like any of the other characters, which is a very good sign of something. Variety, I guess?
Hazama is all like, "I'm so crazy (literally) awesome that I'm not even going to bother standing up straight!" And he is accurate when he says that. *flings self around with chains like Hazama*

Edit: Oh yeah, and I have three levels to go til 80 on WoW.
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby IceBug on Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:16 pm

Just so everyone knows, I no longer am undefeated with Haku-men. After many, MANY close matches, Andre finally defeated me in an entire set. What's more, it was a 2-0. With Noel. God I hate Noel...

EDIT: Jake did it, too, with one pixel bar of health left on the 2-1 match with Bang. You guys might think I'm slipping, but you would do well to know that this was several hours of matches, and only two Hakumen defeats. Plus, Andre is crazy at fighting games, and Jake, of course, HAS BURNING DESIRE!!!

Also, I'll have Jake post later about which character I started picking up after everyone left. No Jake, not Tager, the other "one".
Need Az ure Ne d it Az ure A zure Azu reAzureAzure....GWAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAA!!!!!
IceBug
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:15 pm

Incredibly enough, Andrew started playing Carl. Yes, the kid in the magician outfit and a creepy puppet/robot assistance, who is considered inferior except for a single infinite loop.

Even more flabbergasting, he started to enjoy it. Crazy, I know. He got quite a few victories, too, mainly when I was trying to play Tager (and a bit of Taokaka.) Carl is one slippery bastard.

As for my victory over Hakumen with BANG SHISHIGAMI, I'll recount the final round as best as my tired mind is able.
I started out strong; after much practice, I had gotten away from using the drive moves too much, and thus pulled off some pretty nice high-low combos. Of course, Hakumen being the bruiser he is and Andrew the masterful player he is, I got beat up pretty bad (I did end with one HP left, after all.) But my final combo was what I believe to be absolutely delicious.
Throughout the night, I had been trying to mix in Bang's other distortions and moves. Thus, when I pulled out the umbrella of raining nails, Andrew reacted remarkably quickly with a Barrier Guard.
Pity it made him go the wrong way, with his back towards me.
I run up use the 6D (Forward drive), which breaks his guard and forces him into the rest of the nails from the umbrella, which propelles him into the corner, where I miss with one drive punch and hit with the other, winning the match.

That moment singlehandedly secured my confidence in permanent foundations. I know now that I can beat Andrew, and even though I will lose frequently, I do have the opporotunity to improve myself to be a more adequate match for him. Seriously, it was like a few seconds of total peace with the universe.

Edit: Oh yeah, and speaking of extremely difficult tasks, Andrew recently got one of the Touhou games, correct? Apparently one of them (Imperishable Night) has sequences where your brain stops interpreting data on some parts of the screen and you can feel it happening. It's like the mundane, polite, and quiet cousin of a seizure.
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby IceBug on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:17 pm

Why yes, I did. I had Perfect Cherry Blossom when you came over, but shortly after you left I, coincidentally, downloaded Imperishable Night. Haven't gotten to play the latter, but the former is crazy fun, while Lunatic difficulty still makes me cry...anyway, my favorite loadout is Reimu-A, because of the homing effect on some of her bullets.

Also, still depressed that I whiffed the punish on Jake's Bang...ugh...
IceBug
Regular Poster

Postby XIVcaliber on Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:41 am

It's a pity our group is torn between Guilty Gear and BlazBlue, or else we'd have tournaments a lot more often.

I've been playing Robo-Ky and Baiken recently. Their games are a pretty high-risk, high-reward style of play. Robo-Ky revolves around getting up electric mats so you can build tension and then ROBO-KY RUSH GAME them to death.

Also, lulz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeD-TN5GtfA

Baiken is a bit more cautious, but if you take too much time to guard before attacking, your opponent will punish you pretty bad. Baiken has a lot of useful counters and such that make her awesome, though her ground combos are a bit sub-par. Apparently she has some good aerial combos she can get using j.D, but I'm not even close to that level of skill yet.
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby niko2pico on Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:34 pm

Dreamaniaccomic wrote:Incredibly enough, Andrew started playing Carl. Yes, the kid in the magician outfit and a creepy puppet/robot assistance, who is considered inferior except for a single infinite loop.

Even more flabbergasting, he started to enjoy it. Crazy, I know. He got quite a few victories, too, mainly when I was trying to play Tager (and a bit of Taokaka.) Carl is one slippery bastard.

As for my victory over Hakumen with BANG SHISHIGAMI, I'll recount the final round as best as my tired mind is able.
I started out strong; after much practice, I had gotten away from using the drive moves too much, and thus pulled off some pretty nice high-low combos. Of course, Hakumen being the bruiser he is and Andrew the masterful player he is, I got beat up pretty bad (I did end with one HP left, after all.) But my final combo was what I believe to be absolutely delicious.
Throughout the night, I had been trying to mix in Bang's other distortions and moves. Thus, when I pulled out the umbrella of raining nails, Andrew reacted remarkably quickly with a Barrier Guard.
Pity it made him go the wrong way, with his back towards me.
I run up use the 6D (Forward drive), which breaks his guard and forces him into the rest of the nails from the umbrella, which propelles him into the corner, where I miss with one drive punch and hit with the other, winning the match.

That moment singlehandedly secured my confidence in permanent foundations. I know now that I can beat Andrew, and even though I will lose frequently, I do have the opporotunity to improve myself to be a more adequate match for him. Seriously, it was like a few seconds of total peace with the universe.

Wow... just... just...
Attachments
cool story bro.jpg
cool story bro.jpg (60.98 KiB) Viewed 787 times
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby VonGentlemen on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:08 am

Mr Von Gentlemen just recently finished another game, this one called 'The White Chamber".
Woah. Where do I even being on this one?

The game is an adventure game with some really simple execution and a very beautiful system of storytelling (Think Baroque mixed with Silent Hill 2). The atmosphere is thick enough to cut with a knife, which would probably be a bad idea, because the atmosphere would start bleeding. The game stays consistent with a well-executed ending (Which you can reach in 1/2 - 1 hour of game play). There are several Easter Eggs and four different endings. First person to play the game and tell me what at least 3 endings are gets a super-special prize.

Since Von Gentlemen is such a nice person, he even is posting a link to a site where you can download the game for free! Hooray!
Seriously, play it.

Tl;DR version - The White Chamber is awesome, and you should click here.
If you want to see how smart you are, Click Here.
VonGentlemen
Regular Poster

Postby niko2pico on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:35 pm

So after Von left my place I beat S.T.A.L.K.E.R. again. The wish granter endings are just beautiful, I so far have gotten the "make the zone disapear", and "I want to be rich"

If you ever intend to play the game don't watch these if you are never gonna then watch and analyze them, I wanna know what you people think

The giant crystal is called the monolith it's a colossal mass of anomalous material that is said to grant the wish of whoever finds it at the cost of expanding the "Zone" another 5 kilometers, it lies at the site of the Chernobyl explosion.

this is the one if you are a bad person The translation is off and the real Russian word are "Humanity is corrupt they must be destroyed." Though it may be more poetic to examine it from the english translation

This is the most analyzable one You can only get it if you have an ungodly ammount of money

The is my favorite one you get it if you are a good person

These other two are straight forward and not that interesting

You get this one if you kill the leaders of two groups My guess is it all revolves around the 5km expansion that comes as the price for the wish

this one is fairly obvious

Tl:DR, get stalker if you want a fun challenging computer shooter, If you don't watch the above videos anyway.
Last edited by niko2pico on Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby VonGentlemen on Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:30 pm

It has just occurred to me how ironic it is for people to disagree with bloody and violent games and still have favor of Pokemon. I mean, look at the concept:

You play as a pre-pubescent child sent off into a world of vicious animals by a single mother before acquiring several airtight containers. You then spend the rest of the game walking through various natural environments and finding animals before using several methods at your disposal to beat them to within an inch of their life before sealing them in an airtight container and using them to cockfight against other people of similar interests.

After you've finished boosting them up using synthetics, and after you've gotten them to mercilessly beat other animals enough, they undergo forceful mutations (that would make a frightened Darwin de-evolve into a pile of logic) for the sake of better having abilities to inflict the pain on other innocent creatures who are getting mercilessly thrashed just by virtue of the fact that they belong to a 4th grader.

You people make me sick.
SICK!
VonGentlemen
Regular Poster

Postby niko2pico on Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:09 am

Sven vin hellgesson won gentlemen is right
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby XIVcaliber on Tue Nov 03, 2009 5:24 am

Sounds solid. Of course now, we have rights to bash any and all games you might play.
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby VonGentlemen on Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:00 am

You could, yes, but the main insults that people pull on the games I love are usually elements that make the games good.

I happen to have the virtue of playing games that know exactly where they stand: Somewhere between a Hannibal Lecter Gorefest and a Cabernet spin of Jacob's ladder.
VonGentlemen
Regular Poster

Postby IceBug on Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:54 pm

This:

Spark Bolt -> Magna Tech Wheel -> Gesenic Emerald Tager Buster

At the time of posting, I've only managed to do it once, but this was against a training dummy that doesn't ground tech roll. So, in other words, I wall bounce you and magnitize you, Magna Tech, then buffer the Genesic so that I can use the magnitism time to grab you out of any tech roll (backward gets drawn in, forward lands you in my fist, neutral draws in, and regular timed okizeme stand up has you land close enough to me for the last active frame of the grab startup). Best part: no chance to tech, and if you air tech and barrier block the Magna Tech Wheel, the magnitism lands you right next to the Gesenic...

Bad news is that you need 100% Gauge, and the timing is insanely strict on the okizeme style version. But, it does OVER NINE THOUSAND damage...no seriously, I tested against Nu (10000 HP) and it dropped her to <10% health...

XD

EDIT: Also this:

Super Jump -> Gesenic -> Gesenic -> :lol:

EDIT 2: This came by accident, now I assure you I can do it without an accident:

2D -> Giantic Buster...Potemkin Tager...360B -> Gesenic

The above equals a tech trap that does at least 10500 damage, only costs 50% gauge, and if I do it right, you can break any of the throws, and the magnitism from the two D makes it so that even a backwards tech roll will end you up in the GESENIC EMERALD TAGER... BUSTAAAAHHHH!!!

So, Andre, how's your anti-Tager plan accounting for this?

EDIT 3: Dang, another very friendly accident:

2D -> Magna Tech Wheel -> Gesenic -> Gigantic Tager A

For an instant kill on any character (except maybe Tager, due to a hitbox anomaly, it does enough damage to kill him in one shot), that leaves your opponent with less of a "OMG that's cheap!!!" like the magnet 720 720, and more of a "*shock and awe + speechlessness*...you, sir, deserve a medal. Now I'm going to go home, cry for a bit, then break my disk and take up Wii Tennis..."

Also, I've now done the original move more than once, and confirmed that EDIT 2 does at least 11500 damage, as when tested on Bang (12000 HP), he was dropped to a point where a 2D auto-killed.
IceBug
Regular Poster

Postby VonGentlemen on Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:40 am

Andre just got 3055200 points in an arcade run in GGXR as Slayer.
Without losing a single match.
With the CPU set to "Hard".
What now?
Although, seeing as it is XX Reload, it probably doesn't count somehow.
VonGentlemen
Regular Poster

Postby XIVcaliber on Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:17 pm

I HAVE MASTERED THE 8-HIT GRAND VIPER.

ALL MUST BOW BEFORE ME.

GURANDO VIPAR!
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby niko2pico on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:29 pm

The Niko has gotten his Axl rush and range games down
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby XIVcaliber on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:54 pm

Just scored 2205004 on an Arcade run with Sol, on Normal, sue me.

I beat I-No the second time around, finishing her off with a 100% tension Dragon Install, Grand Viper, Tryant Rave combo. I am very pleased.

EDIT: Survival run.

Level : 120
Time: 8:14
Wins: 11

DAMN SHADOW VENOM AND HIS UNLIMITED TENSION.

*battle recap*
Sol: GURANDO VIPAR
Venom: LOL NO. DARUK ANGEIL
Sol: *block*
Venom: DARUK ANGEIL
Sol: *block*
Venom: DARUK ANGEIL
Sol: *block* SHIT I ONLY HAVE TEN PERCENT HEATH
Venom: *balls combo*

SLASH
*/battle recap*
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby IceBug on Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:05 pm

Barrier Guard (Faultless Defence to you silly GG players) is your friend, Elliot-san.
IceBug
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Dreamaniac