Comments on the Comic

A place where posters can comment on the comic, chat with the artist and his friends who are in the comic, and discuss anything and everything geeky.

Re: Comments on the Comic

Postby XIVcaliber on Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:34 am

I have a tablet pen.
What is the true path to victory? I say start with Flashman's stage.
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:39 pm

XIVcaliber wrote:I have a tablet pen.

:o Would you bring it to Niki's party?
yesplz.jpg
yesplz.jpg (169.87 KiB) Viewed 896 times
Dreamaniac
Has a thing for bandannas...
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby XIVcaliber on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:06 pm

I would love to.
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:41 pm

THANK YOU! :D
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby ApparentlyTsundere on Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Hey jake, don't you have a scanner? I'm sure a traditional comic would be fine. It's not like they're any more or less funny whether it's drawn on the computer or not. :)
ApparentlyTsundere
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:25 pm

The problem with drawing comics using traditional tools is that tasks that take mere moments with a tablet suddenly become much longer and harder to do when using said tools. Drawing straight panels, inking, coloring... it takes far more effort then it does with a tablet. There's a reason I only updated three times a week when I was doing traditional comics at first.

Of course, now that I have Elliot's tablet pen all this is moot, but it's still the reason why I really NEED my tablet in order to update the comic. It's just that important.
On a side note, I'll be updating five days next week. Going to do a few comics featuring Neil and other side characters, then end the week with regular comics.
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby XIVcaliber on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Nice comics recently, Jake. They suit the "back-to-school" flair quite well. Though, I'm a bit displeased at your use of the contemplation piece.
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:59 pm

You're right, that was a total cop-out on my part. I was a lazy bastard last night, unfortunately. I'm working on tomorrow's right now, though.
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby niko2pico on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:20 pm

*edit* less backhanded compliment.
Last edited by niko2pico on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby niko2pico on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:20 pm

Jake... I am disappoint

I'm beginning to notice a pattern with the comics that have the captain in them. Jake the thing about filler comics is that it isn't just a state of art, it's also a state of writing. And there is no excuse for it, between Elliot, Andre, and I who all have ideas for you to do comics of writing filler is just not an okay thing. When I said you had to much filler in an earlier post I wasn't just talking about your old type of filler which was lacking in drawing and taking a textual approach to the joke. Well the new filler is no better, in fact it may just be worse. I find it hard to watch you waste your time on updates that have only the art as a redeeming quality (this one was very well drawn actually, bravo). I'm sorry, but you carrying on about how your schizophrenic representation of your sense of responsibility is a ship's captain stopped being funny after the first time you did it. I really hope you revise the writing soon. This comic as whole could be great it just needs a few more improvements.
Also you're zen contemplation stuff needs to be stopped. I will put it into the same category of filler that I put the latest one in because they are usually well drawn. It just isn't meant for a light hearted, white humor comic.

So take note!!

-Bad writing is bad
-Lack of joke is does not want
-filler comic is filler no matter how hard it tries to not be
-this comic is not a philosophy piece, so stop trying to make it that.
Last edited by niko2pico on Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:28 pm

niko2pico wrote:
So take note!!

-Bad writing is bad
-Lack of joke is does not want
-wasted effort is wasted
-filler comic is filler no matter how hard it tries to not be
-You are not a philosopher and this comic is not a philosophy piece, so stop trying to make it that.
Oh and regarding the last frame
It's spelled fuck, F U C K, fuck

Allow me to address your points one at a time.
1.) You're right. I've been unreliable in this area for a while.
2.) I'll address this further in a moment. It ties into one of my other answers.
3.) Why is it wasted effort? I admit my main goal with the Captain strip was to get a comic posted, no matter my other desires. I managed to do so, which means at least that goal was fulfilled. However, I agree it was pretty much a longer version of some of the other Captain strips, and that I could have and should have done something else.
4.) I assume this is directed towards wednesday's comic/pondering. Yes, it was filler. I was tired, and I wanted to upload something at the very least. There was no attempt to not make it filler.
5.) Wait a minute. You're declaring what the comic is and what it isn't? And furthermore, you're declaring what I am/am not? Usually I would just say that it was your opinion/interpretation, but something in the tone indicated to me that you thought you controlled what the comic was for people other then yourself. Which is delusional. While I do make the comic for an audience in many ways, it's also a part of me, a warped reflection if you will; and I'm not made entirely of bad/weird jokes and occasionally witty asides. I enjoy thinking, exploring paradoxes and other questions in depth, and sometimes I just feel like sharing these thoughts. I don't see myself as a philosopher and don't claim to be one, except in the broad sense that anyone can ponder the mysteries of the universe. Ultimately, the comic is in my control, and I can do what I want with it.

And as far as swearing goes, my family reads this comic. Last time I let a swear word slip in there, my mom admonished me for it in a comment on my blog.

Think about that for a second.
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby niko2pico on Sun Aug 23, 2009 5:26 pm

Allow me to address your points one at a time.
1.) You're right. I've been unreliable in this area for a while.
2.) I'll address this further in a moment. It ties into one of my other answers.
3.) Why is it wasted effort? I admit my main goal with the Captain strip was to get a comic posted, no matter my other desires. I managed to do so, which means at least that goal was fulfilled. However, I agree it was pretty much a longer version of some of the other Captain strips, and that I could have and should have done something else.
4.) I assume this is directed towards wednesday's comic/pondering. Yes, it was filler. I was tired, and I wanted to upload something at the very least. There was no attempt to not make it filler.
5.) Wait a minute. You're declaring what the comic is and what it isn't? And furthermore, you're declaring what I am/am not? Usually I would just say that it was your opinion/interpretation, but something in the tone indicated to me that you thought you controlled what the comic was for people other then yourself. Which is delusional. While I do make the comic for an audience in many ways, it's also a part of me, a warped reflection if you will; and I'm not made entirely of bad/weird jokes and occasionally witty asides. I enjoy thinking, exploring paradoxes and other questions in depth, and sometimes I just feel like sharing these thoughts. I don't see myself as a philosopher and don't claim to be one, except in the broad sense that anyone can ponder the mysteries of the universe. Ultimately, the comic is in my control, and I can do what I want with it.

And as far as swearing goes, my family reads this comic. Last time I let a swear word slip in there, my mom admonished me for it in a comment on my blog.

Think about that for a second.

1-2: Don't tell me, show us
3: "Wasted Effort" as defined by Niko: (Noun) An item serving no purpose for the reader other than filler. (Noun) A lack luster performance in spite of all resources available. (Noun) Anything that is bad, with some amount of intentionality behind it, that serves no purpose other than to grind your wrist ligaments into premature dust (you will most assuredly call this process practice)
4: Retort accepted
5: You are right I have no right to say what the comic is and is not. Also I cannot control what other people think. Also I was wrong to say you aren't a philosopher, as everyone is a philosopher to an extent. But however, when I make such blatant statements against a comic which has taken every opportunity available to it to prove me right... then yeah I think this may be the one exception to that first statement. I'm sorry but your comic no matter what you say is not a philosophic work, it has philosophic bits stuck into it, but that's about it (I use stuck in the same relative sense as the term knife wound). I'm sorry if I'm breaking some bad news to you but this is not a philosophic work, even if you told me it was that would be a direct and rather half baked contradiction of yourself. After that you must be asking "How is that a contradiction of myself?" Simple, regardless of what you say I am more inclined to listen to what you show. And what you show me you have been showing me since June 6, 2008, is that this is a straight forward white humor comic, with no philosophy outside of the tacked on filler musings and occasional straight forward, pro peace dialogue. And even then the bits of philosophy aren't bad, they're just tacked on and feel more forced than *insert colorful constipation comparison*, and like the aforementioned the results are just a little crappy. So the extent of my critique will be to recommend the relegation your musings to the forum or your blog. Most beautiful things are not philosophic works. And mind you this is not an insult, this is just me stating what has been shown to me many, many times, over the last two years, by an artist named, Jake "The Dreamaniac" Courington.
And now with more of my opinion on the forum than anyone cares to read I leave you with one last little bit of advice. You have reached a point where you recognize your flaws and say that you will change them, but no change happens. You realize your mistakes and acknowledge them as cop outs. The lack of change is an even worse cop out. You replied to one of my criticisms that "No update , is better than filler update." Well now I am left to wonder how to interpret that line. Is it "There is no update, better than filler update," or "I would rather not update, than have a filler update." Take your time on your work, give quality the quality we know you can give, and realize that we honestly don't care if you have lazy moments (all evidence suggest you are human), so lean away from the knee jerk filler update reaction, take the time consumed by the filler and put it toward a better comic.
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby XIVcaliber on Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:44 pm

...Really?

Jake, Niko, I'm disappointed in both of you.

@Niko: It's not debate season. I know how much you love arguing the day away, but it's not doing anyone any good. You preach about wasted effort? This is it. This is you arguing against someone you have no reason to argue with over things that you have no reason to argue over. Please, just stop. Besides, the filler problem is over and done with, since Jake has decided to only update once every Friday, and give us a bona fide comic.

@Jake: I admire your retorts against Niko, but once again, I'd like to state that both of you are wasting your time doing this. The fact that you can think on an abstract level doesn't mean you can preach to us in the form of a filler comic. That, I agree with Niko on. However, I see the point of both of your cases, and I'd have to say you both can argue. The point is, you shouldn't. This is casual. Can't we all just get along? I like your new idea to update once a week, though.
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

Postby niko2pico on Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:40 pm

@Elliot. Why do you hate America?
Attachments
Eagle-cry.jpg
Eagle-cry.jpg (28.66 KiB) Viewed 851 times
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:33 pm

Let's slow down for a minute, shall we?
XIVcaliber wrote:@Jake: I admire your retorts against Niko, but once again, I'd like to state that both of you are wasting your time doing this. The fact that you can think on an abstract level doesn't mean you can preach to us in the form of a filler comic. That, I agree with Niko on. However, I see the point of both of your cases, and I'd have to say you both can argue. The point is, you shouldn't. This is casual. Can't we all just get along? I like your new idea to update once a week, though.

Amen, Elliot. *gives Elliot 500 respect points*
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby niko2pico on Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:44 pm

Jake I thank you for conceding that the comic needs improvements. I agree that a less often update is a better idea. However I remember you making similar promises before. So with that I must say that, I look forward to you making more jokes about how you don't update and using them as an update, in spite of the fact you've already said you won't. That said I'm sure we'll have this discussion again in a month.
Last edited by niko2pico on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Y'know
niko2pico
Regular Poster

Postby IceBug on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:06 pm

Nico, I had written practically an essay on your crap on these forums, but lucky for you, my computer is an idiot and crashed before I could post it. So, to paraphrase, I'm giving you three options:

1. Shape up and stop being such a destructive, hyper-critical troll.
2. Leave and go start fights on 4chan.
3. Keep it up and watch me throw down the banhammer on every post you make.

I don't think philosophy is always good, but it is Jake's comic. This is his outlet for saying what he wants, and what gives you the right to say what he, or his comic, is or not? I love waking up to comic-me blotting out the sun to get an extra hour of sleep, or comic-Jake ending up on the back of a milk carton because of ADD Hyperfocus. But, I truly do loathe the fact that, regardless of the material, I have to always find you here or on the comments page of Jake's DA berating his efforts with "Not funny punchline is not funny" and "Bad art is bad". Even your above comments on how his comics were improving were written in the most negative way possible, knocking down all of his other comics as trash. And then you talk about wasted effort? Let's proceed to some exhibits shall we?

Exhibit A: http://dreamaniaccomic.comicgenesis.com/d/20080723.html
Exhibit B: http://dreamaniaccomic.comicgenesis.com/d/20090716.html

Notice: A= pencil, simplistic style, black and white, B= digital, full color, quality interpretations of a wide range of both characters and expressions, drawn in what I consider to be a decent anime inspired style. Whatever Jake is doing, whether you happen to like it or not, serves a purpose. All of his art, philosophy one-panels included, improves his ability to draw and write. I can't think of anything else an inspiring comic artist could want more, aside from readers, which his DA watchers and the advent of people like keeptruckin, who, albeit, came here to advertise soft drinks, but who then came back to talk to us after his campaign was over, proves he is getting. So before you get on your high horse and accuse him of wasting his time, make sure that you've at least gotten as far in the debate as I have, and think before you speak.

Finally, in the post above, you commited a crime that I simply can't forgive. I saw your little list post, but figured I'd let Jake respond back how he saw fit to your criticisms. But then, you turned your insults from the art to the artist, and that's where I draw the line. It's not only a cowardly low blow to begin with, it also incredibly disrespectful to our entire community here. We have this forum because of his comic and his efforts, and when you start in with jabs like the above, in addition to your mocking "our fearless leader" bull, you're going to find that, as his friend, I tend to get real pissed, real quick when you aim to undermine the time and effort he has put forth to give us this privlage. You'd do well to remember that.

Also, on the record, if you want to start some flame war with me for my opinions, do it via PM. Not on the boards. Not at school. PM. I don't want any more of this senseless crap clogging the boards up, and I'd really like to deal with your arguements on my time, not during my lunch period.

@Elliot: *500 respect points*- Thank you for simply speaking your mind in a way that doesn't through the boards into anarchy, it really is refreshing.

@Jake: Though I am sad to see the number of updates per week reduced to one, I fully support your decision. However, I expect that this means you will produce comics at a level of quality that will satisfy my desire for comic-iness for a whole week. Also, if you're having trouble thinking up ideas or really anything, let us know. We are all here to help, even artistically-inept me.

There, hope that clears up anyone's questions on my opinions. Sorry I haven't been posting, but I haven't really had too much a desire to deal with the garbage cropping up here until now. I'll now get off my soapbox, with this: Nico, you've been warned.
Need Az ure Ne d it Az ure A zure Azu reAzureAzure....GWAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAA!!!!!
IceBug
Regular Poster

Postby ApparentlyTsundere on Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:05 am

well, I'm too lazy to real all of that, but lemme say this-

When did this thread go from 'comments on the comic' to' let's start a flame war on the opinions of individuals'?

Listen, Niko especially. Not every one has to like all the same things, to express this fact ( in a tasteful fashion) is just fine. But swallow your pride, all of you, and put it behind you. It's not worth this oh-so-enlightening debate.
ApparentlyTsundere
Regular Poster

Postby Dreamaniaccomic on Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Right now I can't think of anything better to say then: Thanks, Andrew.
You made a far more effective argument then I could have, and it feels great knowing that you guys are supporting me like this.
I wish I could promise more, but Friday's comic will be fantastic. I swear on Whippy.
Dreamaniac
Dreamaniaccomic
Cartoon Hero

Postby XIVcaliber on Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:00 pm

Totally. Let's wrap this up and never speak of it again. And, I can't wait for Friday.
XIVcaliber
Regular Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Dreamaniac