Who'd like to RP?

Talk to the creators of Drow Love and discuss this DnD-based comic.
Luminance
Regular Poster

Who'd like to RP?

Post by Luminance »

So, since it is apparently Procrastination Day, I figured I'd start a thread and at least get this sort of moving.

We're interested in opening an RP thread here in the forums, and all we really have is "canon or canon-feeling is preferable" and "allow people who can't draw to interact with DrowLove characters."

So I guess we're thinking typical text RP format, something written like a story (third person, past or present tense, we'd have to choose), since we already have the Q&A thread, where you are just speaking to the characters directly in a very non-canon way. If we want to keep it canonish we'd need people to use suitable characters as well, but it'd be pretty informal, since it's something we really want to do for the readers and fans. c:

Ideas? Thoughts?

Luminance
Regular Poster

Re: Who'd like to RP?

Post by Luminance »

I WILL DO THE FIRST REPLY. TO MYSELF.

I talked to my roommate, who might be interested in this, and got some feedback from her!

We realized that it's going to be *very* hard to do something ambiguously canon with all/most of the drowlove cast unless it takes place *after* DrowLove, which could lead to MAJOR SPOILERS. Which I'm okay with if you guys are, but it's for you lot, so it's up to you as well.

She also requested a certain very spoilery event but I think we're gonna keep that one quiet for now. c:

Again, I'd love to hear ideas or requests from fans and readers! This is for you! :D

Mortality

Post by Mortality »

Have it take place in Alternate Timeline, where things are pretty much the same but not as they should be.

That way you can use the regular characters and still have non-Canon characters interact, seeing as in the main timeline they are not present. In a Alternate Timeline characters do not need to be overly different from their orginal state, they can have minor differences. Say their sense of clothing is different or their mood, that way you don't need to change much information about them and their personnality.
ToxicZombieCake wrote:Like madness in a can

Le Candy Corpse

Post by Le Candy Corpse »

Sounds a lot like Sulva Mundi to me >>
Only Granth Can Kill Gods

Luminance
Regular Poster

Post by Luminance »

Le Candy Corpse wrote:Sounds a lot like Sulva Mundi to me >>
Yeah, I don't really want to do something silva mundi style. That RP is intended as a multiuniverse free for all.

Instead I'm thinking, try to make it as canon-feeling as possible. This WOULD impose limits on useable characters (IE no robots or catgirls)
Mortality wrote:In a Alternate Timeline characters do not need to be overly different from their orginal state, they can have minor differences. Say their sense of clothing is different or their mood, that way you don't need to change much information about them and their personnality.
This isn't quite what we're aiming at... the assumption is that the readers probably like the characters for what they are, and would rather interact in an RP with Arinae rather than nice!Arinae who wears a monocle. And to be honest, I don't really want to change my characters, if I'm going to do that then we may as well make an RP that is not DrowLove related... and if we do THAT, then we may as well not even have it on the forums. :B

So far it doesn't really sound like we'll be able to do anything with the canon timeline, but if we can make it "feel" canon, I think I'd be happy with it. :B

Mortality

Post by Mortality »

To decide what Type of RP to create, first start a place where people like myself can creat our characters through character sheets and then decide what to do next.

Take baby steps

Luminance
Regular Poster

Post by Luminance »

Mortality wrote:To decide what Type of RP to create, first start a place where people like myself can creat our characters through character sheets and then decide what to do next.

Take baby steps
No character sheets. It's not intended as super formal, just a typical forum RP. We don't use dice for DrowLove.

Mortality

Post by Mortality »

Luminance wrote:
Mortality wrote:To decide what Type of RP to create, first start a place where people like myself can creat our characters through character sheets and then decide what to do next.

Take baby steps
No character sheets. It's not intended as super formal, just a typical forum RP. We don't use dice for DrowLove.
Where do we create characters then :eyebrow:

Luminance
Regular Poster

Post by Luminance »

Mortality wrote:
Luminance wrote:

Take baby steps
Where do we create characters then :eyebrow:
... In... your imagination? We didn't have sheets for DrowLove for a couple of months at least.

I'm working on "figure out a plot or premise" at the moment, not details of "how," but I think we were just imagining it would be informal single-thread stuff, just for fun. If we start taking apps and having rules and rejecting people, then it's kind of defeating the purpose of "just for fun silly rp that feels somewhat canonish."

Mortality

Post by Mortality »

Can we just explain our character then?

Yubi Shines
Regular Poster

Post by Yubi Shines »

...In your heads? Autem was never meant to be a DnD character. I rolled her sheet months after I joined the roleplay.

Probably the only rule for characters is that they should fit the setting. That doesn't mean they have to be an elf, or even a standard DnD race.

The problem is finding some neutral ground where we can throw the party in with room open for other characters. It's hard because... outside of some overarching goal, a lot of the characters wouldn't give the others the time of day.

EDIT: DAMMIT LUMI STOP TYPING FASTER THAN ME

Just write a character bio -- history, personality, appearance, stuff like that, although you don't need to post it anywhere if you want to jump in the thread.
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."

Luminance
Regular Poster

Post by Luminance »

Mortality wrote:Can we just explain our character then?
I'm currently still trying to figure out a premise. Aren't you the one telling other people to take "baby steps"?

Luminance
Regular Poster

Post by Luminance »

Yubi Shines wrote:EDIT: DAMMIT LUMI STOP TYPING FASTER THAN ME
8D

Luminance
Regular Poster

Post by Luminance »

Yubi Shines wrote:Probably the only rule for characters is that they should fit the setting. That doesn't mean they have to be an elf, or even a standard DnD race.

The problem is finding some neutral ground where we can throw the party in with room open for other characters. It's hard because... outside of some overarching goal, a lot of the characters wouldn't give the others the time of day.
DAMMIT YUBI STOP TYPING BETTER THAN ME.

This, this, this.

ROOLZ:
1. Fit the setting.
2. Use proper grammar and spelling to the best of your ability.

I mean, that's really it.

The hard part is finding something with that overarching goal that is nonspoilery, open for an indefinite amount of new characters, and (to keep the nonspoilery part going) involves the current versions of the drowlove characters, or some kind of stasis-ified (that's a word) version of them that won't be developing too much or too differently from how we intend them to develop in the canonical storyline.

BobTheDragon
Regular Poster

Post by BobTheDragon »

Luminance wrote: The hard part is finding something with that overarching goal that is nonspoilery, open for an indefinite amount of new characters, and (to keep the nonspoilery part going) involves the current versions of the drowlove characters, or some kind of stasis-ified (that's a word) version of them that won't be developing too much or too differently from how we intend them to develop in the canonical storyline.
Yeah, I would agree with this sort of thing. Canonical character set-up frozen for the sake of having fun with the mentalities of the moment

@Mortality:
I think we're aiming to just do an RP without charactersheet, so that reading everyone's bio/etc is not necessary. So the character's personality would just be explained by his/her actions and their physical attributes would be described in post. I, personally, wouldn't mind having a thread for optional short intros to the characters. Not full out sheets, but little 3 sentence blurbs to explain a bit of something that you feel you would be known about your character from a glance. Or a picture if you're inclined to that sort of thing :3

I'm a fan of the concept of just letting the characters get away with not saying much about themselves though :3

Mortality

Post by Mortality »

I create characters as quickly as cookie monster eats cookies

Le Candy Corpse

Luminance wrote:readers probably would rather interact in an RP with Arinae rather than nice!Arinae who wears a monocle.
Not so sure about that one. XD

However this does seem like an interesting idea, though i agree, attempting to find neutral ground here is difficult; especially with the knowledge each reader has of the characters depending on if they read the tegaki parts or not. [Way worth it though, ooc makes it that much better x3]

I think I might join in eventually and at the rate it takes me to make a fully fleshed out character, everything should be ironed out.
...yes, I'm letting you guys handle responsibility of it :B have fun, lulz.

Luminance
Regular Poster

Post by Luminance »

BobTheDragon wrote:I, personally, wouldn't mind having a thread for optional short intros to the characters. Not full out sheets, but little 3 sentence blurbs to explain a bit of something that you feel you would be known about your character from a glance. Or a picture if you're inclined to that sort of thing :3
I think this would be fine!

Shinigamii02
Regular Poster

Post by Shinigamii02 »

I personally think its a bad idea to use the actual Drowlove characters at all. This wont work, it will cause arguments, and unnecessarily hard things to explain away later.

I don't mind using the Drowlove setting, like the forest, the docks, and the town. Hell even the Underdark. But I think it best to leave the actual characters out that aren't NPC's.
HE NEEDS TO INGEST IT!

Le Candy Corpse

We'd get to play with actual DrowLove NPC's? 8D!! how could that ever be a bad idea?!!